My Hair is Breaking BAD, Please Help!!

oduwu

Hi Ladies,

I am in need of some serious help. My hair has suddenly started breaking really bad & I'm not sure why. I got a relaxer (Silk Elements) 2 weeks ago. My mother put it in and followed the directions rinsing it out after 20 minutes. 1 week later, my hair starts breaking really bad. I moisturized it and that didn't help, it may have made it worse. So then I washed it last Sun. I did a prepoo with Aveda's Shampure shampoo which I believe is a protein shampoo. Then I used Keracare shampoo and did a DC with Humecto. My hair was fine after this. Well today, my hair started breaking really bad again. It seems like it doesn't start breaking really bad until it's almost time for my weekly wash. Do you think the relaxer could be causing this?? It wasn't breaking like this before the relaxer. My ends don't seem dry or brittle. I'm thinking of maybe doing an Emergencee treatment on Sun. when I wash but I've never done a protein treatment before. I generally have moderate breakage, but now I get about 30 hairs, approx. 5-6 inches in length every time I comb and I'm using a wide tooth comb and being really gentle. Any advice?

mango387

Did your mother use a neutralizing shampoo and wash your hair with it at least two or three times? Also, did you follow with a deep conditioner or a reconstructor?

sexyaqr

I think that you may need a serious protein treatment, Emergencce or the Aphogee.
For me sometimes, when my hair does not like a new product, it breaks like crazy. Have you added a new product to you regimen?

oduwu

I honestly don't know what type of relaxer I had previously, because I always got it done at the salon and never paid attention to what type of relaxer the stylist was using. Having gone to different stylists for relaxers, I know I've switched relaxers before and never had a problem.
I didn't add any new products when I first noticed the breakage other than the Silk Elements relaxer which was the first time I'd used it. I think I might go with an Emergee treatment and see how that works.

Isis

mango387 said:
Did your mother use a neutralizing shampoo and wash your hair with it at least two or three times? Also, did you follow with a deep conditioner or a reconstructor?
This was my first thought too--did she use a neutralizing shampoo on your hair?

Mahalialee4

Sorry about the problem. You must be frantic. I would have to agree with all the ladies who mentioned the neutralizer. And if she used one how well did your hair get neutralized etc? I would do a neutralizing shampoo immediately just in case and then what they said. Actually, I was trying to get into your albums but the password is not responding. bonjour

I am so sorry to hear about your problem. Good point mentioned was the neutralizing shampoo, you would be surprised to learn of how many stylists do not use it or properly the relaxer out of your hair properly.

How are you maintaining your hair? Are you using heat, flat iron, etc. right after the relaxer? If so, try and leave you hair alone for a good two weeks after perming.

Bests

melodee

She may not have completely nuetralized.

I suggest a treatment with cassia. It's a powdered plant and it gave me a lot of strength.

oduwu

Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions. Yes, my mom used the Silk Elements Neutralizing shampoo. She used is twice and then for the 3rd shampoo she used Keracare moisturizing shampoo. The first time she let the neutralizer sit in the hair for like 5 minutes which is what the directions said I believe. I did follow that up with the Humecto DC sitting under the dryer with that in with a plastic cap. What is Cassia and where could I buy that??
I generally wear my hair down right after I wash it until mid week and then I wear it up for the rest of the week. I don't use any direct heat on my hair and haven't in a very long time. I'm just at a loss as to what it could be.

gn1g

Your hair is yelling for a PROTEIN treatment.

Just my humble opinion.

I would suggest Nexxus emergency. But alot of the ladies here like Aphoghee. Your hair should stop breaking immediately.

oduwu

Okay, I have made up my mind that I'm going to try Emergencee. I'm going to use it tomorrow. I'm going to read through the Emergencee threads today and cross my fingers for tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated on how my hair does next week in regards to the breakage.

preciousjewel76

oduwu said:
Okay, I have made up my mind that I'm going to try Emergencee. I'm going to use it tomorrow. I'm going to read through the Emergencee threads today and cross my fingers for tomorrow. I'll keep everyone updated on how my hair does next week in regards to the breakage.

My Emergencee tips:

1. Apply it to freshly clarified hair
2. Allow to dry under soft bonnet/hood dryer until it hardens (won't get rock hard, but your hair will feel "crispy")
3. Rinse out gently with warm water
4. Shampoo
5. Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner

LocksOfLuV

preciousjewel76 said:
My Emergencee tips:

1. Apply it to freshly clarified hair
2. Allow to dry under soft bonnet/hood dryer until it hardens (won't get rock hard, but your hair will feel "crispy")
3. Rinse out gently with warm water
4. Shampoo
5. Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner

This is how I do mines MINUS the shampoo part. I personally don't find it nec. since I think you are just shampooing the protein right out. I rinse really good and then apply my dc. But that's just me.

Babygurl

kbragg said:
breakage is inevitable IMO as the no lye hair will eventually all break off. This is why Cathy Howse does NOT sugggest switching chemicals:

http://www.ubhpublications.com/HairTips/RelaxersQ.html

I dont think that breakage is inevitable, I know many that have switched from no-lye to lye and back again with no problems, its how u take care of the hair. I would suggest getting a hardcore protein treatment (Aphogee, Emergencee or another one that the ladies suggest) ASAP, if you cant get to a hardcore I would do a reconstructor at least twice a week until the breakage stops.

oduwu

Just an update, the breakage has gotten a lot better. I just did my 2nd Emergencee treatment last weekend. I'm doing them once a month now. After a while, I'll probably try every 6-8 weeks. But my problem now is that my hair starts breaking/shedding pretty bad about 5-6 days after I wash it. More than normal. So starting this week, I'm going to wash my hair every 4-5 days to hopefully stop the breakage before it starts. BUT, I'm concerned about washing my hair too often, as I lose a lot of hair in the washing process. Does anyone else have issues with their hair breaking/shedding 4-5 days after washing???

InnerSoul

oduwu said:
Just an update, the breakage has gotten a lot better. I just did my 2nd Emergencee treatment last weekend. I'm doing them once a month now. After a while, I'll probably try every 6-8 weeks. But my problem now is that my hair starts breaking/shedding pretty bad about 5-6 days after I wash it. More than normal. So starting this week, I'm going to wash my hair every 4-5 days to hopefully stop the breakage before it starts. BUT, I'm concerned about washing my hair too often, as I lose a lot of hair in the washing process. Does anyone else have issues with their hair breaking/shedding 4-5 days after washing???

I wash my hair twice a week and this seems to give it a good moisture balance. If I go past 3-4 days without washing...my hair just gets drier and more brittle making it prone to breakage. Even though I moisturize my hair and ends daily, it seems to be in better condition along with washing and deep conditioning.

Lavendar

It's still hard to tell if you were not totally neutralized or if you needed stronger protein. Also when was the last time you had your hair trimmed? My hair is very fine and I can't always tell when I need to trim, so I put myself on a timetable of every 10-12 weeks max. If I go any longer my hair will starting splitting right up the shaft in many small pieces and it will look like I have a ton of breakage. Just in case you weren't totally neutralized and need a stronger protein, you might want to try a Porosity Control/Apoghee treatment. There was a great thread a long while back about improving hair's elasticity and porosity. The regimen that was posted turned my hair around when it was breaking badly. It's was a very long post, but basically I used this regimen:

1) Shampoo with a light shampoo ( I use Elucence)
2)Do the Aphogee Intensive Treatment - Let it get extremely hard (at least 45 min on high heat). Do not cover the hair and make sure you rinse out in the shower to avoid bending the head/hair.
3)Do a Deep Moisturizing Conditioner - The thread suggested PM Supercharged...I use Elasta QP DPR-11, with honey, and Elucence MB..let stay on for 15-30 minutes (I use moist heat as well)
4)Use Porosity Control - saturate hair for 15 min and rinse out.

This worked wonders for me in the beginning when I was trying to get on track and stop breakage/shedding. I will see if I can locate the whole thread and bump it up. Hope this helps!;)

Lavendar

I found the thread for your Oduwu...Improve hair's elasticity and porosity=the key to long healthy hair...I bumped it up for you!;)

Mommy's girls

Hi
I have no idea of how to care for relaxed hair but having been in your shoes I truly sympathize with you. I came to the site a little over a week ago because my 5 yr. old daughter's hair was breaking so much that I was afraid she would wake up one morning and have none. After just one week of reaaly conditioning her hair the breakage has stopped completely.

Brief synopsis:

I relaxed her hair when she was 3 to be able to manage it ( I now know better) When she turned 5 in October I took her to a salon to have her hair done for her B'Day. The stylist pressed and curled it. I then decided that I would let the stylist take care of her hair so I took her to the salon every two weeks. I'm not sure of what occured (I think she scorched her hair) but in November her hair started to shed, then break off. I was a frantic mess. A week ago after finding this site I came up with a regimen to try to save my baby's hair. This is what I did;

I deep conditioned on Wednesday with Cathy Howses' deep conditioner. I then styled her hair using Motions creme moisterizer mixed with olive oil.

On Saturday I took her hair down and noticed a tremendous difference in the amount of breakage in just three days.

On Sunday I shampooed lightly using Melaleuca replinishing shampoo, deep conditioned with Cathy Howses' conditioner, Braided the hair using Motions creme conditioner mixed with olive oil.

During the week I sprayed her hair with S Curl mixed with castor oil morning and at night befor she went to bed.

I took her hair down today and there was no shedding or breaking at all. Her hair is so soft and healthy looking. I am amazed. Her hair is now natural with an exception of maybe an inch left from whe I permed it two years ago.I dont know if this will be beneficial to you since your hair is relaxed but I just had to share. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

oduwu

I actually trimmed it right before my relaxer. Is Aphogree stronger than Emergencee? Since I just did Emergencee last weekend, how long should I wait to try Emergencee?

faithful

I don't know what others have found but Aphogee has not worked in the past for me. I've only used the Nexxus Emergencce twice so far but I like the results. I'm planning to use it more often than the suggested two weeks because I was having more breakage than I wanted 7mos in my transition. I've also been fighting dryness so I'm not shampooing- doing conditioner washes before the Emergencce, follwing with low manipulation style. So far this seems to working. HTH .

MrsHdrLe

bumping. I have thick and "strong" hair according to my hairdresser (though I only go to her for dustings every 2-3 months), but I absolutely cannot wear my hair down at all b/c of breakage. I also have a lot of shed hairs (which doesn't concern me), but the small pieces of hair all over even when I simply shake my hair! Ughh!! I did one stong protien once but didn't really notice a difference (when my hair was breaking back in April) I'm worried about over doing the protien, and I don't like having wet hair everyday b/c it tangles so badly when I wet style (and who has time to roller set every 3 days). Os long story short HELP!!!!!
By the way, I cowashed and roller set on Wed. It's now Friday and I did a texlax touch up (I go VERY easy on it you can barely tell I straightened at all) last Saturday. Would it be too much to do a protien now?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
You got some good tips here. Proper Neutralization is imperative. I lost hair based on a Stylist not rinsing all the relaxer out.:nono:

Also, Allowing The 'Poo to just "sit" for about 5-10 minutes before rinsing. And shampooing several times.:yep:

I think prepping your hair Weeks Leading up to Your Relaxer is one of the Best Tips I received.

Clarifying 2 weeks before and Doing a Protein Treatment 1 week Before as well as; including a Med. Protein Treatment After Rinsing and Before Neutralizing was extremely helpful in the Relaxing Process.:yep: