My hair is dry as 10,000,000 bones!

Substance&Style

Please help me. My hair is dry as 10,000,000 bones! I usually go to the salon and get a lye relaxer (affirm or design essentials) but about 2 weeks ago I used an elasta qp no-lye relaxer and now I notice my hair is dry as $#!% What exactly can I do to combat this dryness?! It is killing me. I must say that I am NEVER getting a no-lye relaxer again. My hair has never been this dry! It is like my hair is eating every drop of moisturizer and/or oil I put in it. Help ladies!

dcprdiva

I agree, chelating shampoo, deep condition with moisturiziner conditioner, i would use some coconut oil to seal in the moisture. I would also use some the Mizani H20 treatment when you wrap your hair tonight.

Neith

I also use no lye and my hair isn't dry.

The main cause of extra dryness with no lye relaxers is calcium left in the hair shaft.

Get a chelating poo stat! I use ORS creamy aloe shampoo to neutralize and once monthly.

Substance&Style

thank you ladies for the advice. i must definitely do something! my hair has never been this dry, even when i was natural. i have learned that no-lye relaxers are definitely NOT for this lady. i am a lye girl for as long as i'll be relaxed :-(

poookie

dang, 10,000,000 bones, though? not 1000, or even 10,000? lol!!

but yep, agree 100% with the other ladies' advice. first, get a chelating shampoo (ORS has a great one, the creamy aloe shampoo). then DEEEEEEEEEp condition. the ORS replenishing conditioner (@ some sally's beauty supply stores for 11.99) is really good.

curious: why did you swtich from lye to no-lye?

TLC1020

Sorry to hear that
I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, I used a No-Lye relaxer and it made my hair so dry. No matter how much moisturizing products I put in my hair it did not work, I wanted to cry :cry:. I knew what was the culprit b/c that was the only thing I did different. What I did was waited 3 weeks and did a corrective relaxer with my usual Lye relaxer and ta da!!! THAT WORKED :yay:

sound

Get your best moisturizing conditioner, slather it on making sure it hits every strand. get a hand full of oil and slather that on over it. Let it sit in your hair for awhile.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. :perplexed

NYAmicas

Seeker
Thanks for posting this, I'm experiencing the same thing and co-washing has not been helping a bit. To top it all off my hair has been shedding as if Im getting out of hibernation.

Neroli

As already mentioned by Neith, no-lye relaxers leave a calcium/mineral deposit on the hair and MUST be removed by a good chelating/clarfiying 'poo before any moisturing DC or co-washes will work. You must remove the calcium/mineral deposits left on the hair by the no-lye relaxer first, then do a good moisturing DC. All the DC/co-wash in the world will not restore moiture to the hair until the calcium/mineral deposits are removed.

Sisterslicks article and lye vs. no-lye breaks this down pretty good and I will search for it and bump it in a minute. I prefer lye, but on the rare occasion when I use no-lye, I know I MUST clarify within a couple of weeks after in order to avoid the dryness you are experiencing.

Please OP, the solution is the clarify, then DC.