My hair must hate COMBING!

nijilah

Long hair journey story turned short. I have been on this journey 7 years and have grown hair very quickly from shoulder length to arm pit length, then it breaks back to shoulder length, and grows in a matter of 2-3 months back to arm pit length. Then I just became stuck at APL, which just did not seem right because I was at least mid-back as a child.

Well over this past summer, I was too busy with work, enjoying my daughter, getting back into shape, and traveling that I did the very minimum with my hair. It got washed, a quick conditioning (suave coconut), S-Curl leave-in, some shea butter mixture and maybe was combed (with the k-cutter super wide comb) 3 times in 4 months. All hair styles were pulled up somehow in a loose bun or ponytail.

I blow dryed and flat ironed my hair in September for my daughter’s birthday party and no one, including myself, thought it was my hair. The hair was thick, heavy, and bra-strap length!

Recently, I started combing my hair more, like once per week, because that once a month was causing super tangles that I don’t feel like dealing with. Well, I noticed that my hair started to get shorter, and a tiny bit of one side of it has broken up to shoulder length!

From this experience, I conclude that even thought my hair is super thick, it is also super fine, so I need to use a comb less and perhaps start finger combing. I used the k-cutter comb which is super wide and I comb gently so it must be that my hair doesn’t like combing AND likes to be left alone.

I am not worried about the breakage, for once, because I still have enough hair to cover it up, now I know that I really can grow super long hair, and now I know that my hair grows quite fast. APL is long for straight hair ladies, but I have curly hair so I need a little more length to strut my stuff.

Anyway, I hope this thread will be helpful to those who have tried everything except leaving their hair alone!

Traycee

A good friend of mine has super thick hair..but the hairs are fine like you described...She has almost waist length hair and is natural....I know she detangle with conditioner on dry hair b4 washing and washes hair in braided plaits....so it doesn't tangle...I will call her for you and find out exactly her method for detangling tomorrow

AsTheCurlzTurns

Keyword: K-cutter comb....
I read quite a few that hates that comb. Because it's not seamless, but I seem to recall that situation was remedied. By putting like a hair scrunchie over the plastic base part where the teeth of the comb goes through the scrunchie and the hair won't be snagging on the seams of the comb. Now that's just what I read somewhere, can't remember where though.:perplexed

nijilah

I just seems weird to me that hair can be thick and fine. Thick hair to me says strength. But when I think about my mom's hair, same thing. Thick but will break easily.

I definitely am going to try the scrunchie on the k-cutter. Hmmm, I never thought of that.

You ladies are so creative AND insightful!