My Hair Stylist is Upset w/me! I think!

janeemat

Has anyone experienced their stylist being upset because of not going to them as frequently as you once did. I always get my relaxers done professionally and he does a wonderful job. However, in the past I would go every 5wks at $95 a pop (rinse/relaxer) without fail. He could definitely count on those dollars. Well, I've been stretching. I was previously scheduled on Jan 27th which put me at 8 1/2 wks but since I had a sinus infection I cancelled it leaving a message on the service that I would call back to reschedule. Well, since I missed that appt I decided to shoot for 12 wks (Feb 21st). Which, I must say my hair is looking good to be 11 wks post. I mentioned that to a lady at church Tues night and it floored her. She thought that I had recently relaxed, but that's another story. So I called this morning to schedule for next Wed and I sensed a little coldness (if that's a word). I really think that he's upset that I have not been to him in awhile. I guess that is a tough business to be in especially since the ceramic flat irons hit the market and being able to to roller set myself. They have been a life saver for me. I friend of mine commented a few days ago about several of her friends being able to stretch with the help of flat iron. I never never never thought that I could stretch this long. Well, I hate to inform him but I'm no longer will be needing his services every 5 wks. It will be more like 10-12wks! He knows how to hook up a relaxer. Since we do have a good relationship and he's aware that I know how to care for hair I hope he'll realize that I'm doing it for the health of my hair although it does help the purse too.!

He may have had just been having an off day. You shouldn't stress about it. He is your stylist, he provides a service for which you pay for. Go to him when it is in your best interest, not his. If you decide that he is treating you rudely, then you can try to talk to him or drop him and find someone else.

Maybe you are right "just an off day". I plan to let him know when I see him next wk that I'm going to be on a 10-12 schedule. He and his wife is in business together so this is really their bread and butter.

I stress about that also. I never go to the salon except for touch-ups now. My beautician is a nice:p , professional lady so I do not want to deprive her of income but thank goodness she has a big, loyal following at the salon. Last time I explained to her that it is a waste to come often since I do protective, simple styles anyway.
I have not noticed any change in her attitude about it, kind of encouraging about my efforts. Have not visited her since last week in December...soon though..the MTG or whatever I'm doing is really causing some tight new growth!

yea or he coulda been a little upset that you cancelled twice. I think it's none of his business to throw a hissy fit because u choose to care more for yuorr hair and stretch relaxers. but he may have had an issue with twice having you cancel, when he coulda have accepted someone else's appt at that time. Not saying that you were wrong, because that is life...but he should get over it....

Girl I was just about to post that I think my stylist is mad at me for not coming in often enough. :lol: I talked to him this morning and he wanted to know why I haven't been in...I was like it's only been 4 weeks since I was in last. He just mumbled.

Oh well...I know it's not necessary for me to go in that often. What I look like dragging my products to the salon so he can wash my hair with the stuff I like to use on my hair. I can do that for free at home.

He'll just have to get used to the fact that I'm only coming in for relaxers. I wonder what he'll say about me not trimming my hair this year...well if he's swollen oh well...he can do what I want him to do or I can find another stylist.

Well good to see I'm not alone.

This has been the experience of many ladies here as their skills to do their own hair increased. I would be very wary of letting him continue doing hair if he has an attitude.

I have read many, tearful threads about stylists sabotaging their clients' out of anger/jealousy/spite.

Mizani_Mrs said:
yea or he coulda been a little upset that you cancelled twice. I think it's none of his business to throw a hissy fit because u choose to care more for yuorr hair and stretch relaxers. but he may have had an issue with twice having you cancel, when he coulda have accepted someone else's appt at that time. Not saying that you were wrong, because that is life...but he should get over it....

Mizani, I only cancelled once. It was scheduled for Jan 27th. The last time I got my relaxer was Nov 29th and that's when the appt was made, which pushed it back to 8 1/2 wks opposed to the 5wks that I would normally get a touch up.

He could be thinking that you have been going to another stylist. Since you were routinely going every 5 weeks and now it's going on 12. If I were a stylist I would assume the same, thinking that you either enjoyed the pampering of going to the salon of you didnt have the time or knowledge to care for your own hair -which kept you coming in every 5 weeks....

chayil0427 said:
Girl I was just about to post that I think my stylist is mad at me for not coming in often enough. :lol: I talked to him this morning and he wanted to know why I haven't been in...I was like it's only been 4 weeks since I was in last. He just mumbled.

Oh well...I know it's not necessary for me to go in that often. What I look like dragging my products to the salon so he can wash my hair with the stuff I like to use on my hair. I can do that for free at home.

He'll just have to get used to the fact that I'm only coming in for relaxers. I wonder what he'll say about me not trimming my hair this year...well if he's swollen oh well...he can do what I want him to do or I can find another stylist.

Well good to see I'm not alone.

Well, at least he asked why you haven't been there. Only 4 wks My stylist wife passed the phone to him fast and he asked "Who is this"? Gosh is only been 11 wks.

nicki6 said:
This has been the experience of many ladies here as their skills to do their own hair increased. I would be very wary of letting him continue doing hair if he has an attitude.

I have read many, tearful threads about stylists sabotaging their clients' out of anger/jealousy/spite.

Oh, Nicki don't scare me like that. You think he may sabotage all of my hard work. That's really something to think about. I mean with all the ladies stretching with the help of flat irons and then the others going natural. I swear, I know some friends that's going natural that I NEVER though would give up straight hair. Well, at least I'm still coming for the most expensive service. Oh well...

nicki6 said:

By the way, I've been eyeing your and it's looking good "creeping down the back".

seeminglysweet said:
He could be thinking that you have been going to another stylist. Since you were routinely going every 5 weeks and now it's going on 12. If I were a stylist I would assume the same, thinking that you either enjoyed the pampering of going to the salon of you didnt have the time or knowledge to care for your own hair -which kept you coming in every 5 weeks....

Once he see my ng next wk, he'll know that I have not been to another stylist. Plus, he knows that I'm particular when it comes to putting relaxers in.

nicki6 said:

You guys are very generous -- off day, upset because you cancelled twice, thought you might be going to another stylist etc. -- it more like not getting that expected $95 bucks for his bills.
And like Nicki6 said, I would be careful of someone like that because we all know what could happen.

Heck yeah you should be worried. You’ve cost him almost $300. Girl you better follow your gut and confront this issue head on. Ask him is everything okay before he touches your hair. If he is acting silly over a CANCELLED appointment :confused: then you best believe he my sabotage you. Not everybody is happy when you are doing well. People love to make you feel bad for not doing what they want you to do. From what you said he’s got some issues.

Back