My Last Henna (Recipe) Question I Promise! (fingers crossed behind back!)

PaperClip

Okkkkaayyy.... I spent this afternoon going around town visiting the Indian stores in my area looking for henna. Quite a few stores were not expecting my mocha-complected self to walk in asking for henna :ohwell: So basically all these stores had henna in the same or similar packaging. Some of the bags looked a little tired/worn. It took some time to figure out what I was look for in terms of color and the store workers (all men at each store) were of no help, except for the last store I visited (the one closest to my house!)

So they had the same packages of henna as the other stores, but on another shelf, there were individual packages of powders, e.g., alma, the ingredient that begins with an "s", and a few other powders.

I've only done two treatments with henna bought from health food stores. I'd like to maximize my henna treatments by using the most effective, pure products. I'm interested in doing a cassia treatment in time for the new year and so I wasn't sure if there would be enough time to order by mail....

So, I guess my question is should I forget trying to mix the stuff myself and order online and hope that it will arrive in time or should I go ahead and make my own mixture and if so, is there a very simple yet effective recipe somewhere I can follow....

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don't really have an answer for your question, but I will say that if you do decide to get it from the local indian stores to check for an expiration date. I used some Jamila henna that I found in a local indian store and it left my hair very dry. The henna was expired so I am guessing that was the reason. The henna I purchased online form henna for hair did not leave my hair dry. It took about a week to arrive.

JazzyDez said:
Don't really have an answer for your question, but I will say that if you do decide to get it from the local indian stores to check for an expiration date. I used some Jamila henna that I found in a local indian store and it left my hair very dry. The henna was expired so I am guessing that was the reason. The henna I purchased online form henna for hair did not leave my hair dry. It took about a week to arrive.

Yes, I mentioned that the bags looked worn... and I did look for expiration dates and some were vague (2006). Most had no expiration date or it was marked out....

I guess I got my answer.... Sometimes for me the answer is in my face but I need to think out loud....

RelaxerRehab said:
Yes, I mentioned that the bags looked worn... and I did look for expiration dates and some were vague (2006). Most had no expiration date or it was marked out....

I guess I got my answer.... Sometimes for me the answer is in my face but I need to think out loud....

;) I know what you mean.... I am not about taking chances on my hair right now.

You know,

I don't trust the stores anymore. I've heard too many bad stories about expired products and just rude treatment.

At least ordering online is just SERVICE (if that makes sense).

Then you can build an order 'history ' with one merchant and get the items you need.

Being here on this island all I do is order, but I have been very pleased so far. Merchants break their necks to be sure you are satisfied. But this is just my opinion.

And I concur, the hair is NOTHING to play with!

Back