What's your Henna Recipe!

mytia

SuperWoman!
So after all the beautiful results I've seen with Henna I decided I'm hopping on the band wagon. I ordered Jamilla Henna yesterday and bought pectin at the grocery store this morning. I'd like to find out what you ladies are mixing with your henna to get your results so that I can have an idea of what I want to do when mine gets here. So ladies please post your henna mixtures.TIA

CaramelPrincezz

I would like to know this too......I just ordered some Henna also. I want the simplest mixture cuz i dont think I dont wanna be adding 10 different things. Maybe a recipe with water and whatever else should go in?:confused:

Nessa06

I mix 200g of jamila henna ($1.99 from local indian store) with enough water to make it like oatmeal and then let it sit for 12 hours.
Then i add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (jar from vitaminshopp) and 1/2 cup of coconut conditioner (suave).

Mix it all up, part my hair in 4 sections. Glob it on like it's nobody's business and then put my shower cap on, and sit under the dryer for 1 hour.

I rinse it out completely and mix 200g of indigo (indianherbs online) with enough water to make it like yogurt. Let it sit for 10-15 min.

While the indigo is setting, i put coconut oil mixed with conditioner in my hair and sit under the dryer. Rinse it off.

And then I put the indigo on my hair ( hair is still wet but towel dry) and then put my shower cap and wait 2 hours.

Then i rinse that off and do a wash and condition in the shower. Set my hair and let it swing. (on henna/indigo days i like to put roller and set b/cuz i want to see how nice and conditioned it looks....guilty.:))

Sorry so long, i know you only wanted henna recipe, but i dont henna w/out indigo. ;)

naturaline

i went a bit wild this my henna this week i added...

water
honey
balsamic vinegar
red wine
grape juice
amla oil

yeah i dunno why i added so much (it came out real nice) But next time ill just add water, honey and grape juice;-)

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Keep it simple!

I used this method the first time I henna'd; it's a gel mix you use with pectin. BTW, I only used several ounces of orange juice because lemon juice and ACV are too drying. Make sure your hair is in a good state of moisture. Also, when it's time to rinse, use a cheapie (or not) conditioner to rinse out the henna. It helps with the detangling.
GOOD LUCK

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/

HERicane10

CaramelPrincezz said:
What measurements do you use for the ingredients? I use about 100 grams of henna (enough to fully cover hair from root to tip, think mud pack), about 3-4 Tablespoons of honey, and enough hot water to make cake batter consistency. And do you add everything before u let it sit for the dye release? I don't wait for dye release, I use it right away to minimize color as I like the blackest hair possible.:D i really wanna try this cuz it looks real simple:)
Hope this helps! I've had AWESOME results with this simple combo.

Isis

CaramelPrincezz said:
What measurements do you use for the ingredients? And do you add everything before u let it sit for the dye release? i really wanna try this cuz it looks real simple:)

You add only after the color release of the henna, not before.
Here are two recipes I used with measurements. More details are in my fotki under, "About Me".

I love my own hair color which is dark brown with natural auburn highlights, especially noticeable in the summer. However, my grays were starting to appear, so I decided to henna but keep my browns.

Since body art quality is supposed to be the safest and best for relaxed hair, I chose to use Catherine's body art quality henna (found at www.hennaforhair.com), amla and indigo recipe for cool shade of brown. I took notes along the way (with my stained, gloved hand :lol:) I used:
225 g of henna (prepared the day before with water only--no lemon juice)
200 g of indigo
50 g of amla

1. I added the 50 g of amla a little at a time while stirring it into the very thick, henna pudding I made the night before. I added just a little more water to keep the consistency while adding the amla.

2. Then I mixed the indigo in a separate bowl and added 2 cups of water a little at a time until it looked exactly like very dark green mashed potatoes.

3. I immediately added this "mashed potatoed" indigo to the henna/amla pudding a little at a time and stirred well, adding a little more water when necessary. Now I had a large bowl of creamy, thick, dark-green/brown mud.

I applied it to my hair with gloves, put a plastic cap (like from Sally's) on and left it for 3 hours. After rinsing, I loved the results, which was brown but the grays were a little reddish, although more red/brown.

After a day, I decided to use 1/3 Henna and 2/3 Indigo (per Catherine's recipe) to see if I can darken those reddish strands. They did get darker but I wanted it browner. I didn't want black though, just my dark brown color with my natural auburn highlights. I didn't have very much more amla.

For this 2nd treatment, I used:
1/2 cup henna (this time after adding water, I let it sit in a bowl by a heater for two hours for color release, sealed with plastic)
1 cup indigo
1 Tablespoon amla
3/4 cup honey

1. I first mixed up a small batch with this ratio mixing the amla into the already color released henna first, mixing the indigo with water for mashed potato consistency, then adding the indigo to the henna/amla mix.

2. I then applied it to a test area where I have a few strands of grey together (now a few strands of dark red). I let it sit under a plastic cap for 3 hours. When I checked it, it was just what I wanted! Yay! Where my reddish "greys" used to be was now brown--and not black. I had to look closely since I couldn't tell a few feet from the mirror. I held up a lock of my hair close to the light and I could see dark auburn highlights on the dark brown, as my natural hair is. It looks like I kept my natural hair color! I'm so happy!

3. Since I didn't make up as much as I did for my very first batch, I did the rest of my hair after mixing in some honey to stretch it and to condition my hair. I stirred up the mixture while pouring in about a 3/4 of a cup of honey. I did a honey/henna/indigo gloss! It was nice and creamy when I applied it and it seemed to stretch enough for my whole head, although not as thickly as the first time. No heavy head helmet, thank goodness!

4. It was easier to rinse out too after 3 1/2 hours under a cap. I love my hair color, thickness (and it was already thick) and strength. I know I don't need to do the heavy clay head again and may do henna glossing every four weeks or so, probably with honey. What a learning experience this was!!

I strongly suggest all who want to henna to go to Catherine's website first at www.hennaforhair.com and read her new FREE book with details on everything you want to know about body art quality henna and your hair. Another great site for good body art quality henna is www.hennasooq.com

mytia

SuperWoman!
Thanks ladies for the input. I'm patiently waiting for mine to arrive so that I can put some of these ideas to use.

mytia

SuperWoman!
naturaline said:
i went a bit wild this my henna this week i added...

water
honey
balsamic vinegar
red wine
grape juice
amla oil

yeah i dunno why i added so much (it came out real nice) But next time ill just add water, honey and grape juice;-)

The color's pretty and it looks good on you.

RoseGolden

I only henna'd once a while ago. Mine was really simple though, just:

henna
water
olive oil
a few squirts of conditioner (humectress)