My mom is trying to MASH UP my hair! vent

mscounselor

She doesn't even know it. I was leaving her house this morning and she said "your hair needs moisture". I said ok. She came back with "oil sheen" and sprayed it in. I checked the ingredients and low and behold there was alcohol in it. I was upset and said you're trying to dry out my hair. She said...."no Im not, it doesn't dry my hair out and thats what they use at the salon":eek:
I said the next time you want to volunteer oil sheen it better be almost liquid kind like the one natural elements makes. She looked confused....My mom is ignorant about hair and there is only so much I can do....and yet her hair grows like a weed :confused: .

I learned not to come around my mom about anything hair related. She butchered my hair when I was in 7th grade....calling herself giving me a trim:perplexed . She's attacked my ears/neck/forehead with the hot comb. She's chased me down with hairspray. Needless to say I've been doing my own hair...relaxer, washing, everything since the 7th grade incident.

Does she normally read the ingredients of the products she buys? A lot of people think oil/oil sheen equals moisture and dont realize the sprays have alcohol. She probably didnt mean harm intentionally.

my mom is the worst, when it comes to hair I grab my two younger sisters and run:D :D :D . I remember the "trims"--or shall I say cuts--she use to give us and telling us to wear our hair down everyday. Lets just say that when it comes to hair, my mom is CLUELESS. Thank goodness I found this board.

Enchantmt said:
Does she normally read the ingredients of the products she buys? A lot of people think oil/oil sheen equals moisture and dont realize the sprays have alcohol. She probably didnt mean harm intentionally.
No she doesnt. I think Im out to convert her since Im moving back home. Its a mission now!

Momma does not always know best.
For a while back in the 80s, I remember her hair being very long... she had a jherri curl. Homegurl pressed that, dyed it, blowdried it... yeah we can all imagine what happened.

My mother has had NO say in my hair since 2002, and I'm keeping it that way. She sees how long my hair is and STILL says im doing things wrong:confused:

What type of alcohol was it? Not all things labeled alcohol are drying. Fatty alcohols (like stearyl and cetyl) help hydrate hair. Ethanol on the other hand is drying. You can find stearyl and cetyl in most shampoos and conditioners.

Moms will be moms!!!! There is not much we can do that's what we have ain't got another one so girl just wash your hair do a deep condition to make sure your hair is ok and move on because staying upset with your mom is not going to change the situation!!!! Moms believe that they know everything so sometimes you just gotta let them be. Can't live with them definitley can't live without them!!!!!:D

Back