My Mom's Hair Problem - HELP

kingstonkaramel

My Mom\'s Hair Problem - HELP

Hi Ladies,

My mom has a real hair problem that the 2 of us are working on together. So I thought: "Where better to seek advice but here?"

A few months ago, my mom's stylist switched the relaxer she usually uses to a no-lye and applied it on my mom thinking that the "gentler" formula would be good for her since my mom's hair was colored. A few weeks later, my mother's hair started coming out and the middle of her scalp itches like crazy, even just a few days after she washes. That's where most of the hair is falling out. We think she had an allergic reaction to the new chemical.

Since the tragedy, she started seeing my stylist (who is usually pretty good) and he's been doing these "treatments" on her hair to stop breakage. It hasn't helped. /images/graemlins/frown.gif About 8 wks after the bad perm, he applied an Affirm mild lye relaxer because her new growth was so hard to manage and was causing more breakage. Obviously, it was too mild because now, only 3 wks later, she has the same amount of new growth as before.

I don't know what to do to help her. She's gonna be forced to get a haircut now. Her hair is so dry and brittle and weak and she can't put another relaxer in it so soon.

We've already done a protein and several deep conditions with hot oil pre-shampoo treatments.

HELP US PLEASE /images/graemlins/frown.gif WHAT STEPS SHOULD WE TAKE TO STOP THE BREAKAGE?

Armyqt

Re: My Mom\'s Hair Problem - HELP

since she's having a reaction on her scalp, it may be some damaged follicles. especially since your stylist have been giving her treatments that don't seem to be helping. Maybe your mom should consider seeing a trichologist or a dermatalogist to determine if there was some type of chemical reaction. Please keep us posted and good luck.

jamelabe

I had the same problem. I usually used the Affirm relaxer and ran out. My stylist uses Motions so I used that for my next 2 touch ups. I retouch every 10-12 weeks. So you can imagine how long I was itching. I was trying everything for relief. I finally went to a dermatologist this past Saturday. I explained how severe the itch was (I wanted to scratch with a fork), I had thinning in the crown area, no flakes or visible signs of anything being wrong. She prescribed derma-smooth. I did the treatment that night and haven't had an itch yet. I seems to have worked immediately. My scalp doesn't feel as dry and tight. So hopefully, I can get back on track with my hair growing. I have a follow up appointment in six weeks. I can only assume my scalp didn't care for the change in relaxers. I recently found someplace online to order Affirm ( http://www.sheldeez.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart-frames.cgi?CONFIG=mountain ) again and I'm waiting for my order to get my much needed touch up.

kingstonkaramel

Ok, thanks for the help. Since Derma Smooth is a prescription (right?) then I guess she will have to go to a doctor... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

adrienne0914

yeah, the Derma-Smoothe is a prescription. i've been using it on and off for a while now for my psoriasis. anyway, i think your mom should go to a dermatologist anyway to have her scalp looked at.

the fact that she's mainly losing hair and has itching in that one area makes me think the stylist didn't rinse all the relaxer out. the scalp could have had an allergic reaction. if her scalp is dry now, the Derma-Smoothe may help that, but i don't know that it will help the shedding.

i think her hair is breaking because of a lack of enough moisture. what products does she put on her hair during the day? and how is she styling it? my answer for dry hair is ALWAYS curl activator. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif i know i sound like a broken record, but it really works. it's a much cheaper experiment than the Derma-Smoothe too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

oh, if she does try the curl activator, she should not put it directly on her scalp.

adrienne

kingstonkaramel

Thanks for all the advice. We were planning on buying the s-curl activator and Profective Root Health so we're gonna start using that.

No matter how much she moisturizes w/ her coconut oil, mango butter, etc... it seems like it still gets dry so quickly now. But we will keep working at it along w/ regular deep conditions.... it's bound to get better /images/graemlins/smile.gif