My Sebastians Colorshines Review

VALLEYGIRL

Ok so today I applied the colorshines onmy hair in the Cocoa Bean shade. I wanted to make my hair darker without dyeing it permantly. Well I followed the directions; wash, apply, (my hair looked so BLACK when I had it on. I thought I was going to come out looking like Kelly Osbourne) plastic cap, dryer etc then rinsed out and.....

my hair is still the same auburn brown blonde that is was before I applied the color!!!!!
I don't know what I did wrong but it didn't take at all. I even shampooed with a clarifying shampoo yesterday to make sure I removed all the gunk from my hair. Oh well....I guess my hair was a little resistant today.
I did an Adore rinse last month and it took very well. I even applied that and didn't use any heat. But my hair does have a nice shine to it now (not sure if it is the Colorshines but I didn't use anything different)

Any ideas on what went wrong?

The Adore is more watery and applied much easier than the Colorshines which was more of a pudding like consistency. I had to work to get this through my curls. I have a lot of the Colorshines left so I am willing to try it again with suggestions from you ladies who have had succes with it.

TIA
Valleygirl

Kitkat

Valleygirl, were you looking for a radical change in your hair color? If so, I don't think Colorshines will do this - at least that was my experience. I had a semi permanent brown in my hair when I applied Colorshines Brilliant Brown. The semi permanent brown was very subtle (my natural color is black) and really noticeable in the light and in the sun. The Colorshines was more pronounced on my hair, and made it look jet black. I understand that using a more radical color might create more pronounced changes so I'll try that after the Brilliant Brown is finished. What I did like is the pronounced shine that it left. That ws great.
Hope this helps!
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

VALLEYGIRL

Thanks KitKat and yes I was looking for a more drastic change than the one I got. The Adore totally covered my color but didn't really do so much for shine.
Now as I'm typing this I do remember Tracy saying something about the Adore being more opague and the Colorshines being more Translucent. (or was it the Jazzings?)
One of my co-workers uses Colorshines in the Cocoa Bean shade that I used and she says it covers her gray. Well my gray are still there!! Like I said maybe my hair wasn't as porous as it usually is and is being a little resistant. The color looked VERY dark while I had it on but it seemed to rinse completely out.
Oh well my hair sometimes has a mind of it's own but I do have a nice shine in my hair and I didn't do any damage.
Valleygirl

Tracy

Valleygirl,

Hmm - I gotta say I'm not absolutely positive what happened here. But here are two things that come to mind....

1. How much did you use? You have a ton of hair (lucky lady /images/graemlins/grin.gif) and I usually use about a quarter of a bottle on MY hair - I wonder if you used enough... the strands should be saturated. Your amount of hair should have taken a half a bottle - at least. You are right tho - it is hard when applying it at home because it can be difficult to spread. I do find the Adore easier to apply as well. The Sebastian has a more gel-like consistency. The adore is more creamy. Also by way of comparison you are correct - the Adore colors are more opaque than both Sebastian and Jazzing. But you are also correct that the Coffee Bean (this is what you meant as far as the shade - yes? I don't think Sebastian makes a 'Cocoa Bean' but I could be wrong...) is quite dark. I use this color when I want a very dark brown to black result - so I would have expected the color to come out darker.

2. The other thing I thought of when I read your post was that perhaps relaxed hair is more porous than your natural hair and so absorbs more color more quickly and deeper into the strand. This would also account for a lighter result. I also leave it on with heat for 30 minutes as opposed to the 20 they advise on the bottle. This is how it has always been applied for me at the salon so I just carried the practice with me into my home application. Because there is no ammonia or peroxide I don't have a problem with this. Between your ultra healthy hair and the shorter application time (if you did it for 20 and not 30 minutes) this could also be why it came out lighter.

If you decide to do it again I say try leaving it on for 30 minutes with heat, let it cool for 10 minutes or so and then rinse. I would also say, if you did not do this before to use a half bottle at least . Not as economical - but you have all that hair so you're probably used to using more of everything. /images/graemlins/smile.gif If not the Adore is a comparable product and will give similar results to the Sebastian - so if you're comfortable with that then I say stay with it. I'm using quite a bit of Adore myself lately - again because of the easier application and I found a color that works for me.

Now I'm curious with you and Kitkat and others that have tried this - have you expereinced the dryness that brownrelaxed hair posted about? I'm just curious because I never experienced it and I wondered what other people's experiences have been since using the product.....

Kitkat

Tracy, I haven't experienced any dryness, thank goodness. The Colorshines worked really well with my hair, and I'll definitely use it again. My only complaint is that it covers the brown highlights that I get with the semi-permanent color that I use. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But I will definitely use it again come next week!

VALLEYGIRL

Tracy thank you soooo much for your input. It is so very detailed.
I truly appreciate it.

To answer your question I have NOT experienced any dryness after using the Colorshines. I even blow dried and flat ironed my hair and it doesn't feel dry at all.

But Cocoa Bean is a shade of Colorshines.Maybe it is a new shade? It looked black in the bottle when you squirt a little to the surface. My co-worker uses this shade and at first I couldn't find it but eventually I did. I used about half a bottle (maybe a little less) but I used enough to saturate my hair...not quite dripping but it seemed to cover it enough. I only left it in for the 20 minutes. Next time I will leave it in as you say for the 30 minutes under the dryer..

One thing that's funny about this is my bathroom and nails still have color on them but not my hair!!
Also (I may have said this already) the Adore took very well and I did not use any heat after I applied it!!
My plan was to darken my hair for the winter months so I wont have to redo my highlights completely next summer, just the new growth.
Maybe I will need to go ahead and just dye my hair darker with a permant dye.
But I will try the remainder of the Colorshines that's left in the bottle (a little more than half) and if is doesn't work I will go back to Adore in a dark shade and use clear jazzings to give it a shine.

Thanks again Tracy!!!!

Valleygirl

Babychoc

Help! I want SHINY hair too.

I just used Sebastians Colorshines in clear on my hair on Monday, and it didn't come out shiny at ALL /images/graemlins/mad.gif! I followed the directions VERY carefully so I don't know why on earth this didn't take to my hair. I know some of the other ladies on here got REALLY great results with this and their hair turned out so shiny /images/graemlins/weird.gif Now I have to wait a while from now, if I use it again, to apply it to my hair /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif ! I also have used the Jazzings in Clear before and that didn't work either! I was wondering does anyone know if the Adore semi-permanant hair colors come in clear? At this point I will do ANYTHING /images/graemlins/moon.gif for the great shine. If anyone has any suggestions on what I might have done wrong PLEASE can you let me know /images/graemlins/spinning.gif Thanks in advance, and forgive me for sounding a bit harsh /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Babychoc

Re: Help! I want SHINY hair too.

Please girls, I beg of you /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif. I REALLY am looking for some help with achieving shiny hair. I would appreciate if someone could respond. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Tracy

Babychoc....

Don't be alarmed. I have never gotten the degree of shine that I do on my hair any of the times I have used a clear...I always got a muted version of what I get with the same brand in a tinted hue...the deeper your color rinse the deeper the shine in my experience. I used to love rinsing my hair black for this reason. The reds and golds I've used have given nice results as well. The degree of shine will vary some as it is affected by the porosity and overall health of yor hair, as well as the hair's texture and how coarse or ot the hair might be. We're not talking worlds of difference here tho - just slight variations - unless the hair is quite damaged, in which case it's very hard to even fake shine.... /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

I'm not sure if Adore makes a Clear, but it's worth investingating. I find the Adore gives great shine and is comparable to the Sebastian.

Babychoc

Tracy, thank you so much for replying to my message. By the way your hair looks WONDERFUL! /images/graemlins/up.gif I think that you do a very good job on your hair, keep up the good work. I was actually hoping that you would respond to my message because I do have to ask you some questions if you don't mind /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I put Adore in my hair 1 week ago, it was Crimson (red color), and it didn't come out that shiny, but the color came out GREAT! /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif I did get the idea from you with selecting Adore as a very gentle color treatment for my hair, so thanks so much for all the good info that you have on hair color! I do have a few questions if you don't mind. I was wondering about how long does the Adore color last in your hair? I have already lost some color with my last shampoo /images/graemlins/smile.gif, but the color in my hair is still quite noticeable. Also what Adore colors are some of your favorites to use? I also would like to know when you put a black rinse in your hair, do you use Adore? And does the black come out looking as good as your other colors? Also, the beauty supply store that I went to didn't have that many Adore colors left. Do you know of any brownish colors that it comes in? One more question, sorry /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif, are there any other brands of colors that you use? I know you have used the Jazzing, and the Colorshines, but do you have any other colors that you have used with great results? I'm asking all of these questions because I think that your hair health and color is REALLY nice! I know everyone's hair responds differently to different products, but I would still like your advice /images/graemlins/wink.gif. So if you can please fill me in on some color information I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks so much for all of your help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

moni

Isn't hennalucent suppose to make the hair shiny? I think I saw one of Caramela's pictures and that is what she mentioned that she used to make the curls shiny when she used the flexi-rods. I can't remember if she said that on this board or on another hair board though.

Tracy

Shay,

You're so cute. No need to bow down girl...LOL!

I'll answer ASAP - but I'm at work. Soon as I get a minute to sit down for 2 seconds somewhere other than my desk at work /images/graemlins/spinning.gif I'll answer all your questions.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Babychoc

/images/graemlins/wave.gif Tracy! I don't mean to bother you so much, but I think of you as the color expert, because you really are quite knowledgable about hair color /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I don't know that much about it, I'm still experimenting /images/graemlins/brainy.gif Thanks again for all of your help.