My stylist decided to stop doing hair...

nakialovesshoes

So I got an e-mail last night from my stylist. She has decided to move to Savannah to work for a beauty school and is no longer doing hair as of the end of this month. I'm not complaining about her decision b/c it is her life & she knows what's best for her and hers.

However, I just recently decided to go back to my curly perm after transitioning for about 14 months. I went from a few WL strands to NL and was on a serious HHJ/mission.

My curly perm is by Design Essentials. My stylist was a National Educator/Platform Artist for them & also apart of their product development/research team. Needless to say, I trusted her 100% with my chemical process.

She has a stylist friend in the same Salon Suites who is also affiliated with Design Essentials but not on the same level as my stylist. She is recommending that I go to her. What do you think?

My other option is to BC again & go back to my trusted stylist in SC & go back to texlaxing. He's the only other person that I trust to do a chemical service on my hair.

westNDNbeauty

Decisions like this is partly the reason I remain natural. I can empathize with your confusion. It's really hard to trust someone in your crown and glory.

Only advice I would suggest is to sit in the chair of who you feel most comfortable with. The person whose results will not surprise you in a bad way. But it may not be bad to trial run the recommended stylist. I'm sure your hairdresser would not lead you down the wrong path.

Baggettcindy

Why not try the stylist she recommends first, if it doesn't work out you can bc.

I agree. She knows you and I am sure she would just set you up with just anyone, plus for her to recommend the other stylist, she must know something about her work.

iri9109

yeah i dont think you're stylist would recommend someone who she didn't think would do a good job...i'm leaning towards the texlaxing though, because you'd probably have more texture (which i like) and if you wanted to go straighter you always could (but with a curly perm, wouldn't you have to grow it out 1st?), and if you wanted to go natural the texlaxed hair would probably be easier to transition with.

nakialovesshoes

yeah i dont think you're stylist would recommend someone who she didn't think would do a good job...i'm leaning towards the texlaxing though, because you'd probably have more texture (which i like) and if you wanted to go straighter you always could (but with a curly perm, wouldn't you have to grow it out 1st?), and if you wanted to go natural the texlaxed hair would probably be easier to transition with.

1st - thanks to all of the ladies that have responded so far. I think you are right. I will try out the referral first.

iri9109I love my curl. It's my faux natural. No one has a clue that I have chemicals. I have a more uniform curl pattern all over. If I texlaxed I would be wearing it straight because I have 3 different textures naturally (kinky, curly, wavy). A texlax simply makes my kinky hair curly, my curly hair wavy & my wavy hair straight.

Again, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

God_Favor

Hey op? I have a question, what's a curly perm? Sounds interesting! Can you post a pic of this???

sent from HTC EVO

Rain20

Maybe if u traveled to Savannah she would do it, assuming that distance is comparable to driving to S.C.

Nonie

@God_Favor folks call the curly perm the new age jheri curl but back when I got jheri curls in the 80's they were called curly perms. Relaxers were called straight perms. At least that was the terminology used in the UK. I think it's just "new" in the US but I honestly don't think there's any difference from jheri curls. Maybe the products might be different but it's the same process just a different day.

Folks associate jheri curls with juice dripping but that didn't have to be part and parcel of the jheri curl. Folks just went overboard with the spray. My jheri curl aka curly perm was never juice dripping. My mom's looked like she had natural type 3 hair because she'd use a bit of the gel but never the juice.

nakialovesshoes I came running to this thread coz I know you rep the type of curly perm my stylist used to get which looked really good and doesn't hang lazily but has good "ping". I agree with giving a chance to the recommendation. You mention the option to BC, so why not wait to see how that goes and then if you don't like it, you can go the BC route since it's on the cards.

Last edited:

Nonie

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never wouldve thought a "jheri curl" could look like that!!! Beautiful!!!!

It can. I think the problem with jheri curls was overprocessing. After years of having a lazy looking jheri curl, I discovered a stylist who had a jheri curl that looked like Nakia's. His hair was shoulder length and when he stretched it, it was about BSL or MBL. It'd spring back to shoulder. He told me that a good curly perm (jheri curl) has elasticity and it was he who introduced me to Nexxus line and stopped my hair from breaking like crazy. This was in Manchester, UK. Like you, I had never seen such awesome looking jheri curls...until I met him. Nakia's hair reminds me of his.

nakialovesshoes

@God_Favor folks call the curly perm the new age jheri curl but back when I got jheri curls in the 80's they were called curly perms. Relaxers were called straight perms. At least that was the terminology used in the UK. I think it's just "new" in the US but I honestly don't think there's any difference from jheri curls. Maybe the products might be different but it's the same process just a different day.

Folks associate jheri curls with juice dripping but that didn't have to be part and parcel of the jheri curl. Folks just went overboard with the spray. My jheri curl aka curly perm was never juice dripping. My mom's looked like she had natural type 3 hair because she'd use a bit of the gel but never the juice.

@nakialovesshoes I came running to this thread coz I know you rep the type of curly perm my stylist used to get which looked really good and doesn't hang lazily but has good "ping". I agree with giving a chance to the recommendation. You mention the option to BC, so why not wait to see how that goes and then if you don't like it, you can go the BC route since it's on the cards.

NonieYour'e exactly right. Really there's nothing different about the chemical process itself. It is exactly the same as the jheri curl process of the past. From what my stylist told me, the only thing that really changed was the maintenance products. Because the idea is to have a dry look, "new age" curl products don't contain the glycerin the ones of the past did.

I also agree with you on overuse of product. I use the maintenance products by Wave By Design but at night when I baggy, I use my trusted S-Curl no drip. My hair still isn't a greasy mess. I spray a few sprays all over & baggy & it's more than enough.

Thanks for responding. I really love my curl & I really would like to stick with it & you just confirmed that. Smooches...:yep:

Nonie

OT but [USER]Nonie[USER] , I never realised you were British!

Damaged but not out No, I'm not British. I'm Kenyan but lived in the UK for a spell. I'm in the US now.

ETA^^ OT That's odd; why can't I mention Damaged but not out? It shows in the preview as [USER = 145404] Damaged but not out [ / MENTION ] without the spaces...but when I submit it's like she puts on the Invisibility Cloak and goes poof! Very strange!

Last edited:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
What?! She was awesome!!!!! Seriously I have never had a better experience at a hair salon than when I was in her chair. Who did she refer you to?
What happened to your WL hair that caused it to go break off to NL?

Damaged but not out

yea i couldn't mention you either, the mentions just disappeared ur name stayed.

But i keep getting a notification i was mentioned...strange

nakialovesshoes

What?! She was awesome!!!!! Seriously I have never had a better experience at a hair salon than when I was in her chair. Who did she refer you to?
What happened to your WL hair that caused it to go break off to NL?

Ravengirl I meant to PM you to see if you knew. She referred me to another stylist in the same suites that she's good friends with. I'll PM you her contact info if you'd like.

As far as my WL to NL ordeal, I decided to transition back to natural. (I'm a member of the Hair Indicisive Club.) & I didn't take care of my hair doing my transition & when I finally decided I didn't want to be natural anymore, all of my chemical hair was jacked so I had to cut it off & start over.

bludaydreamr

So I got an e-mail last night from my stylist. She has decided to move to Savannah to work for a beauty school and is no longer doing hair as of the end of this month. I'm not complaining about her decision b/c it is her life & she knows what's best for her and hers.

However, I just recently decided to go back to my curly perm after transitioning for about 14 months. I went from a few WL strands to NL and was on a serious HHJ/mission.

My curly perm is by Design Essentials. My stylist was a National Educator/Platform Artist for them & also apart of their product development/research team. Needless to say, I trusted her 100% with my chemical process.

She has a stylist friend in the same Salon Suites who is also affiliated with Design Essentials but not on the same level as my stylist. She is recommending that I go to her. What do you think?

My other option is to BC again & go back to my trusted stylist in SC & go back to texlaxing. He's the only other person that I trust to do a chemical service on my hair.
Just wondering is it Balisi?

God_Favor

nakialovesshoes I came running to this thread coz I know you rep the type of curly perm my stylist used to get which looked really good and doesn't hang lazily but has good "ping". I agree with giving a chance to the recommendation. You mention the option to BC, so why not wait to see how that goes and then if you don't like it, you can go the BC route since it's on the cards.

Very informative, Nonie! Thanks!!!

sent from HTC EVO