My tail's too big!

Chimma

My tail\'s too big!

The last time I flatironed my hair I realized that the difference between my sides/front hair and my back hair was increasing. The sides/front are still about shoulder length. The back (tail) is about 1/2 - 1 inch from brastrap at its longest.

I'm trying to grow all my hair down to my waist. I estimate it'll take me about 2 more years, shorter for the back hairs. But I feel pretty self-conscious about the uneveness.

What would you do: Leave the tail alone until I'm at my goal? Cut it off? Trim all your hair into a layered style?
And has anyone else had this problem. If so, how in the world did you get your front hairs to catch up with the back ones!?

Chipmunk

Re: My tail\'s too big!

I would leave the tail alone until at goal.

Yes,I am having a similar problem. The tail end in the middle of my head is about 4 inches longer than the rest of the hair. I'm just hoping the rest will catch up, I'm not doing anything to it though. I wouldn't know what to do anyway.

katie

I have started massaging my sides only for the past 6 weeks to get them to catch up.I am 6 weeks post relaxer and I have 0.75 inches new growth on my sides.That makes me very very happy since I have doubled my growth rate on my sides.I still have way more than 0.75 inches new growth everywhere else on my head but at least massage has helped my sides so the difference won't be as noticeable if I keep this up.
HTH

CrownnGlori

AVOID intentional layers. They are pretty but it sounds like the opposite of your goal. Just teeny tiny trims.
My sides are slower too. I think with our good care we just need patience.

Tracy

I don't really have intentional layers...but I definitely have plenty of lengths going on.

What I do is trim the front and sides only every OTHER time I trim. Gives it a chance to catch up...and I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have semi recent bangs about a half inch in depth and about three inches across that are currectly hitting the tip of my nose..I have varying pieces around the cheeks that are roughly chin length, I have some hair toward the front that is collar bone length and then the back is a couple of inches from bra strap (although I can never get a good gauge of exactly how many inches I have to go....all I know is it's longer than 6 months ago - but not as long as I want it to be
).

There's a front and sides challenge going on. You should consider joining!

CocoaCure

I have the same issue!! Someone else posted something about their hair growing in a "V" and I could relate to that as well! I noticed when I went natural that my hair in front, the top and the back (like in a Mohawk) is more 3Cish/4A, the hair on my sides is definitely 4A!! So it seems my sides have a tighter curl pattern and thus are dryer than the back/top/front and therefore doesn't appear to be growing as fast. I also just thing the front/top/back DOES grow faster than my sides. My sides are shoulder lenght, but the back is about 3 1/2inches past shoulder, and the very middle of the back is 4 inches past shoulder length! Weird huh??? I'm just going to get to bra strap and then I'll keep trimming to get a "U" shape and then I'll keep growing or transition from there!

Chimma

Thanks for the comments!
Hmm, what happens though if the shoulder length never seems to catch up! I'm a afraid by back length will get down to backstrap and my sides will stay at shoulder forever! I think not only is the growth slower, but my buns/ponytails are putting stress at my sides. I can't do them looser or my hair will be too poofy (5-6 inches new growth), and i don't know any other styles!