Naturals, how do you check length?

sweetkita4

This is sooooo confusing:spinning:. How does everyone else check length? In the back my hair is to my shoulder, the sides are to my ears, and the front is to my eyebrows:ohwell:. How do you determine when you've reached a certain hair goal? At the rate I'm going, my hair in the back will be brastrap while the front is shoulder length:nono:.

foxxymami

I just put a ruler to my scalp and take one of the longest sections and stretch then note the measurement. I do the same with one of the shorter sections of hair.

Interested to see the methods of the other ladies

sweetkita4

I just put a ruler to my scalp and take one of the longest sections and stretch then note the measurement. I do the same with one of the shorter sections of hair.

Hmmmmm....that makes a lot of sense. So you don't set your goals by al, apl, bsl and the like?

scarcity21

thats how i measure too!

meaganita

This is sooooo confusing:spinning:. How does everyone else check length? In the back my hair is to my shoulder, the sides are to my ears, and the front is to my eyebrows:ohwell:. How do you determine when you've reached a certain hair goal? At the rate I'm going, my hair in the back will be brastrap while the front is shoulder length:nono:.
Awww, don't despair Kita! Was your hair cut even/trimmed before you started growing? I have certain body parts/locations I expect the hair to stretch to when I'm checking for length. For instance, the front/sides should hit my breasts. I use my bra to check the back of my length. It helps to use the same bra (imo). But honestly, I trully can't know for sure how long my hair is until I flat-iron. That's the real moment of truth!:yep:

bLackButtaFly

I straighten every few months and go by apl, bsl etc, but that's my stretched length, otherwise if it's curly I just take note of new places I feel hair. I remember being so excited the first time I felt hair on my neck :look:.

I have alont of payers that are growing out, but I look mainly at the length in the very front(bang area), and the back.

I never thought of actually measuring.

mscocoface

I think many of us have layers in our hair. I go by the back of my hair since it is the longest and most of the length is back there.

My front is shorter and I hope one day I can get it ALL one length, but until then I measure the back by stretching and using APL, BSL, etc.

Sometimes I will use a ruler to keep a log in my hair diary of my length in inches.

meaganita

I straighten every few months and go by apl, bsl etc, but that's my stretched length, otherwise if it's curly I just take note of new places I feel hair. I remember being so excited the first time I felt hair on my neck :look:.

I have alont of payers that are growing out, but I look mainly at the length in the very front(bang area), and the back.

I never thought of actually measuring.
That's how I felt when my front stretched to mid-breast! I was :yay:super juiced!-lol

Shawnee66

I don't have a hair length goal. I just check the length of the front, sides and back to see if I've achieved any growth. I was thinking of cutting the back about 2 inches, that's the area that grows the fastest.

sweetkita4

Awww, don't despair Kita! Was your hair cut even/trimmed before you started growing? I have certain body parts/locations I expect the hair to stretch to when I'm checking for length. For instance, the front/sides should hit my breasts. I use my bra to check the back of my length. It helps to use the same bra (imo). But honestly, I trully can't know for sure how long my hair is until I flat-iron. That's the real moment of truth!:yep:

No even cut here:sad:. I've been growing it out from the bc so it MIGHT all be one length (haven't measured it) so it all stretches different places. How did you get your hair so even? Did you grow it to a certain length and then stay there to trim and even up? I think my hair is too thin to have layers and would look so much thicker if it was all one length. But that feels like that would take forever! :cry:

GoldenBreeze

My hair is basically all one length, so if it is straightend I comb it back and measure by APL, BSL, WSL and the like. If it is natural I braid it all together in one low braid in the back, and after it is dry I unbraided, stretch, and measure. I also, kind of, eye measure where it falls on my body when I'm in the shower with water running on it.

Nice & Wavy

I check by straightening it and I haven't done that since beginning of Spring so I'm interested to see if I had any kind of growth. My growth spurts are usually from Fall through Winter.

glamazon386

When most of your hair is there... for me it's the back and the sides. The front will probably always be slightly shorter.

blazingthru

I have a picture taken of it while in the shower its wet and lays correctly well some of the time and thats how I tell the length. Sometimes I take a ruler and pull it down. I just judge by the back and not the front. I have a long long way to go before the front gets to the same length as the back.

LynnieB

I've been using my rattail comb as a measuring stick :perplexed then i got real curious and used a ruler to interpret the results. oh yea, i stretch the hair out with one end of the comb touching the root.

so happy to be graduating from the Rattail Comb Academy at the end of the month!!! :lachen:

meaganita

No even cut here:sad:. I've been growing it out from the bc so it MIGHT all be one length (haven't measured it) so it all stretches different places. How did you get your hair so even? Did you grow it to a certain length and then stay there to trim and even up? I think my hair is too thin to have layers and would look so much thicker if it was all one length. But that feels like that would take forever! :cry:
Awww Kita, woo woo woo :sad:. How long ago was your bc? Do you plan on eventually pressing your hair? I've been gradually trimming, but I think the last trim did me in. My stylist cut my hair while it was in the natural state and cut mor hair off the back. By the time I checked my length again, my front/sides were catching up with the back. My hair's still cut in a v-shape, but the layers are just longer now. It only took about a year for that to happen. See! It doesn't have to take long at all!:) I still say pressing it out is the only way to know for sure....

Jetblackhair

I use this same method with the ruler. I measure in 3 sections, the front, the crown/middle portion and the nape which is the longest at 10 inches.

HTH

Last edited:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist

I know I'm texturized, but I have the same issue.

Unstretched, my hair is shoulder length in the back, jaw length on the sides, and chin length in the front. So, I length check when my hair is damp and it's easier to see the true length. Stretched, the back of my hair is grazing BSL (I'm not claiming it yet, but almost :lol: ), the sides are full shoulder length, and the front is past my jaw. But, I dedcided not to let these different lengths worry me too much. I've always wanted one length hair, but it's just not worth it to be to cut the back up to the shortest length (jaw). I just don't focus too much on it anymore. :)

Happy Growing!

remnant

Same here:look:

Nonie

Like Foxxymami, I place the zero end of a ruler at my scalp perpendicularly and stretch the section of hair closest to it along the ruler pinching the ruler about 1/8" or so below the end of my stretched hair, and then bring down the ruler to see the reading at the point I pinched. I thought I had a pic of this but can't find it. I prefer to get a reading about 1/8" inch down as I tend to trim the ends every now and then...so prefer not to include that in my reading.

My hair is about the same length all round so of course the back hangs lower than the top. But because I'm in braids all the time, this hasn't been a problem.