Mystery flat iron

Pinkicey

I went to a hair "stylist" a few times before who claimed to use a flat iron that read the temperature of your hair. The flat iron was supposedly able to switch to different temperatures depending on how high of temp the part of your hair could handle. For example, if there are parts of your hair that aren't completely dry, the flat iron could lower in temp for those areas as it glides down the hair. Possibly switching from 400 to 300 to 250 back to 400 degrees etc. Now, when I first heard this I was a little skeptical about the possibility of heat to be able to change that fast, but I couldn't imagine someone going to the extremes of lying about what kind of flat iron they use so I just said ok.

It's been over a month since I've gone back to her and I was trying to look up a flat iron like that. I am not finding ANY kind of flat iron like that. Has anyone ever heard of, used, own a flat iron like that? I'm really thinking she flat out lied.

Side note: The first time I went to her my hair came out great. The second time I lost a lot of hair, but I thought it was because I didn't detangle well enough before I came. The third time she went crazy and brushed it while it was wet and dry from root to ends and even though she saw that she had to clean her brush four times she still kept roughly combing. My hair was thick on the top and thin on the bottom.

A self adjusting flat iron? It sounds made up. Or did you misunderstand? Perhaps she just said that SHE switches the heat when SHE realizes it's too hot? She ripped out your hair and you went back-- you're brave....then she did it again-- must be careful w/these stylists!

A self adjusting flat iron? It sounds made up. Or did you misunderstand? Perhaps she just said that SHE switches the heat when SHE realizes it's too hot? She ripped out your hair and you went back-- you're brave....then she did it again-- must be careful w/these stylists!

No I promise that's what she said because I asked her a second time to clarify. The first time my hair ripped out it wasn't that bad and she said it was because I came in with my hair too tangled.

She made that sh*t up. :lol:

And also, STOP letting people do any old thing to your hair simply because they're a stylist. Speak up for your hair, because no one else will. :yep:

ETA: She complained that your hair wasn't detangled before coming? SMDH. Isn't taking care of clients' hair her JOB? If it wasn't properly detangled, why did she not detangle it herself?

Last edited:
The ghd flat irons are supposed to do that (not sure if all ghd models do). I have one that claims to auto adjust and have used it on clients with all different types of hair....never caused damaged. I was/am a little suspect about the claims to adjust temps depending on hair type, but nonetheless I do love that flat iron.

I think this better explains what the flat iron is supposed to do.

Tri-zone™ technology gives ghd eclipse™ three times the styling power of other stylers because it uses three ultra-sensitive sensors on each plate – most other stylers only have one. These sensors respond instantly to any fluctuation in temperature to guarantee the optimum styling temperature is used consistently during styling. Consistent heat makes styling easier and delivers ultimate results in just one stroke, even on the most challenging hair types.

To get the best result, all hair types need a styler set at 365°F – the optimum styling temperature for hair – but different hair types absorb different amounts of heat. While finer hair absorbs little heat from the plates, challenging hair types absorb much more, causing the plates to lose their temperature more quickly. Tri-zone™ technology recognises even the slightest loss of temperature anywhere on the plate and responds immediately, with the right amount of heat to bring the plate temperature back up to 365°F.

Last edited:
She made that sh*t up. :lol: And also, STOP letting people do any old thing to your hair simply because they're a stylist. Speak up for your hair, because no one else will. :yep: ETA: She complained that your hair wasn't detangled before coming? SMDH. Isn't taking care of clients' hair her JOB? If it wasn't properly detangled, why did she not detangle it herself?

Regardless if she made it up or not she definitely was not a good stylist. I'm just so cheap! Lol it was only $35 to get it flat ironed. I went to get my hair dyed by a white lady, and she wouldn't do it because my hair was too damaged. She told me she could flat iron it for $65, and I was like H no! She probably would have done it right though. I'm just going to wash and blow dry my hair myself and go to someone just to flat iron only. I get so hot and irritated when I flat iron my own hair. My arms usually ache afterward.

The ghd flat irons are supposed to do that (not sure if all ghd models do). I have one that claims to auto adjust and have used it on clients with all different types of hair....never caused damaged. I was/am a little suspect about the claims to adjust temps depending on hair type, but nonetheless I do love that flat iron. I think this better explains what the flat iron is supposed to do. Tri-zone™ technology gives ghd eclipse™ three times the styling power of other stylers because it uses three ultra-sensitive sensors on each plate – most other stylers only have one. These sensors respond instantly to any fluctuation in temperature to guarantee the optimum styling temperature is used consistently during styling. Consistent heat makes styling easier and delivers ultimate results in just one stroke, even on the most challenging hair types. To get the best result, all hair types need a styler set at 365°F – the optimum styling temperature for hair – but different hair types absorb different amounts of heat. While finer hair absorbs little heat from the plates, challenging hair types absorb much more, causing the plates to lose their temperature more quickly. Tri-zone™ technology recognises even the slightest loss of temperature anywhere on the plate and responds immediately, with the right amount of heat to bring the plate temperature back up to 365°F.

O ok well that makes sense. I just bought a ghd blow dryer, and I can't wait to use it tomorrow.

Regardless if she made it up or not she definitely was not a good stylist. I'm just so cheap! Lol it was only $35 to get it flat ironed. I went to get my hair dyed by a white lady, and she wouldn't do it because my hair was too damaged. She told me she could flat iron it for $65, and I was like H no! She probably would have done it right though. I'm just going to wash and blow dry my hair myself and go to someone just to flat iron only. I get so hot and irritated when I flat iron my own hair. My arms usually ache afterward.

Are you styling your hair while standing in front of a mirror? If so, I highly recommend a styling table - any table near an electrical outlet, ample lighting, a mirror and a source of entertainment. IME, using a styling table makes arduous hair projects (e.g., braiding, straightening, detangling, etc.) easier and more comfortable, which produces better results.

Are you styling your hair while standing in front of a mirror? If so, I highly recommend a styling table - any table near an electrical outlet, ample lighting, a mirror and a source of entertainment. IME, using a styling table makes arduous hair projects (e.g., braiding, straightening, detangling, etc.) easier and more comfortable, which produces better results.

No, but I will look into it.

Hmmph, good tip!

Yes it exists. I've been researching flatirons lately & when I read your post I remembered this one. And there's a white stylist I used to go to back in 2004-2008 & she had a flatiron. That did the same thing like you explained. With that one it was best to only dry the hair to about 90% dry then flatiron. I'm not sure what the name of that one was but here's the info on a similar sounding one.

https://www.coolwayhair.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=120

Want super sexy straight hair every day? For ultra sleek styles and the perfect finishing touch, try our award winning °Coolway Low Heat Smoothing System. The °Coolway Styler with AutoSense® technology works with °Coolway True Smooth to provide damage-free styling. It detects the moisture level in your hair, automatically setting to the precise temperature needed—always below 299°F, so you can straighten your hair without heat damage or the need for thermal protectors and styling products that impede styling and control.

I'm calling bs.

All of these flat irons with "temp sensors" do one thing and one thing only. Thats keep the flat iron at the same consistent temp that you set it to.

The coolwave is the only one (out of the flat irons posted here) that actually claims to adjust. However from the reviews I read about it, the only thing special about it is that it wont get that hot (maxing out at 280 per the reviews vs 400+ of most high end flat irons)

I mean if you really think about it, how would the flat iron change in temp from lets say 350 at the root, down to 200 mid strands, back to 350 on your ends in one sweep from root to end? o_o Thats where I'm not a believer.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

I might be buying myself a new flat iron. It would be worth the money because I have decided not to go to salons anymore.

Back