*~* Nappy Birthday to Me!! *~* Pics & a 'short' story!!

Forever in Bloom

It's official! Today marks my one year natural anniversary!!

I can't believe I did it. My hair is between 6.5-7 inches all over minus the demon possessed part of my head in the front - it's about 5.5 inches :nono: I started off with a mass of 1 inch curlies, and now... well, you can call me Frodo :grin: I transitioned for 3 months, then after my father passed away last Thanksgiving day :)sad:), I decided I was gonna go ahead and hack off my hair.

Don't ask what my regimen is. That's like asking a PJ what's in her stash. I wish I knew what it was :look: I have been doing the Ayurvedic haircare routine off and on for about 4 months, but didn't really commit until about a month ago.

I haven't been tempted to relax my hair. I have no plans of going down that road again. Years ago when I was contemplating going natural, I always figured I would grow it longer, then relax the length. Let's just say those plans have flown out of the window because I am in love with my hair!

My hair is growing faster than it ever did. I have trimmed a total (yes, I measured) of about 2.5 inches (back in June before I put my braids in), and have been focusing on keeping my ends moisturized so I won't have to trim so much in the future.

I think I will stick with one hair care line to moisturize my hair in '09 and that is HAIRVEDA!! My hair loves every single product. The SitriNillah Masque and my steamer get a motel room together at least once a week for 40 minutes! :blush: My hair always comes out with a goofy grin on her face...

It took me about 10 months to find the right products, but I'm glad I found them now and not years later. I use other (secret) products, but I'll get the bare essentials from Hairveda. I do use VO5 to help me detangle prior to washing.

I really began to see faster hair growth when I started taking 2,000 mg. of Pure MSM, 600 mcg of Biotin, and doing nightly scalp massages :yep: I'd like to make APL by June '09. We'll see.

I have pics of when I flat ironed in October; however, I won't be flat ironing my hair until December '09. It just takes too long and I'd rather flat iron when I have impressive results to show. I'm shy :giggle: Don't laugh at the quality (of the hair and the pics). My hair started huffing and puffing, heaving and hawing as soon as I pulled my camera out, which is now in camera heaven. So I took some pics with my laptop camera thingy.

I have learned a lot through this hair care journey:

1) Split ends don't disappear when you're natural.
2) You can't simply wash and go 3 days in a row and think just 'cause you got some cute curls now, you won't have tangles later.
3) There is no such thing as good hair if it ain't healthy.
4) Searching and destroying can keep your hair in check.
5) The white man's jheri curl (aka, THE MULLET) is a definite possibility in the first 6 months of being natural.
6) One part of your hair can slow down so the other layered parts can catch up :look:
7) Measuring your hair everyday can be unhealthy, but I swear it makes my hair grow faster :lachen:

Since you all tend to have a hissy fit when people don't show pics, I guess I'll share - especially since you had to troddle through this endless diatribe :rolleyes::lachen:

THEN (bc'd December 6, 2007; pic actually taken on December 11, 2007)

NOW (my hair is acting like it can't fit in front of my laptop screen. Show off :rolleyes:)

Shrinkage ain't so bad with a little Hairveda Whipped Gelly (or Curls by Sisters Smith when I'm waiting on my Hairveda to come)

More pics, but smaller

1st pic - Attempted flat ironing, then decided to set hair on rollers with some Blue Magic. Ignore the rollers; my hair was acting like a puff ball
2nd pic - Mmm, shrinkage :lick:
3rd pic - I can only get half of my head in a bun, but I'm working on that!
4th pic - No, that's not one sad little strand; all the hair towards my nape hits that point on my back :grin:

hairattach.jpg

hairattach1.jpg

hairattach4.jpg

hairattach2.jpg

gorgeous86

Happy Nappy Birthday :grin: Your had a lot of growth this year :yep: You'll have that other half in a bun in no time!!!

AtlantaJJ

Oh I just love your story and I identify on so many points.

Your hair looks fabulous! And your advise is so on point. I'm all about avoiding the tangles and keeping the ends nice and mosturized because without that, all the growth is just lost.

I agree, I am so happy I am settling down with the products that work for me and this year I will not be hopping on this or that band wagon.

Hairveda is one of my staple product line and Qhemet is the other...

Thanks for this wonderful post and I will be doing a simular thread as soon as I get my FHI Runway flat iron and my Ion Blow Dryer.... :grin:

Happy Nappy Growing !! :up:

TrustMeLove

Go go Forever It's your birthday. Get down it's your brithday. Do your dance it's your birthday. Buy a new conditioner it's your birthday.

Jassy28

OMG!!! I can't even close my mouth right now.You had so amazing growth this year! your hair looks so good. I so want to go natural now!!! Nappy B-day to you!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Carrie A

Nappy birthday to you.
Nappy birthday to you.
Nappy birth- day dear Forever in bloom
Nappy birthday to -oo - oo..... Yoooooooouuuuuu.

Forever in Bloom

Beautiful, you have made amazing progress. Girl do you have an album?

I'm working on it. I have all my pics up and ready to go. I just have to upload a few more along with my witty banter onto my Fotki account. Many are already there - I just need to go ahead and unlock it :yep: