Nappy Edges - What Works?

MissYocairis

;) For all of us stretching ladies, please list your favorite products to smooth those curly, kinky, wavy or otherwise nappy edges when stretching and/or bunning. I'll start:

1) Elasta QP Mango butter - (the little container is not big enough....keep running out!) :)

2) PhytoSpecifics Moisturizing Conditioning Balm - (expensive as HELL...but, even my 9 year old said, "that stuff is GOOD!) :p

Netta1

I'm natural but I know to smooth my edges molding wax works GREAT for me. I got in from walgreens in the white people section, lol. Picture of it in my product album.

HoneyDew

Black and Sassy Caribbean cream (or profectiv root health or carrot cream or LIV) topped with Let's jam regular hold and then topped with a leave-in (my fav are braid sprays) or water and then tie down at night with pantyhose.

yes, I do this almost every night. :)

I have also used the extra hold let's jam and elasta QP glaze. They are good.

I need to check out that PhytoSpecifics Moisturizing Conditioning Balm. Sounds interesting.

HoneyDew

Also the shampoo and conditioner I choose to wash with makes a difference, as well. Some just don't help.

MissYocairis

Netta1 said:
I'm natural but I know to smooth my edges molding wax works GREAT for me. I got in from walgreens in the white people section, lol. Picture of it in my product album.

Hey Netta, pretty twists! Do you know if your molding wax has safe ingredients? You are pleased with the health of your hairline? The wax doesn't seem to dry it out?

MissYocairis

HoneyDew said:
Black and Sassy Caribbean cream (or profectiv root health or carrot cream or LIV) topped with Let's jam regular hold and then topped with a leave-in (my fav are braid sprays) or water and then tie down at night with pantyhose.

:eek: :eek: That's a LOT HoneyDew! :p So, what about that Jam stuff? Isn't that gel? I thought Gel was a no-no. How does our hairline health respond to it?

secretdiamond

I've finally learned and mastered how to never use a brush and it's all about tying down those nappy suckers. I detangle my hair at night and comb it back with my wide toothed comb. Then right before I put my scarf on I apply NTM leave-in and then spray some surge onto my hand and use it to smooth it down more --(I sometimes use a fine-toothed comb here for better smoothing). Then I put some jojoba oil to seal everything in. I quickly tie it down (and I don't even have to tie it tight) and in the morning, my hair is smooth and shiny. :) I'm 8 wks post and with using mtg it feels like more, but this has been working great for me. If my edges are a little dry, I spray some s curl on the new growth b4 I do everything else. HTH

Netta1

CantBeCopied said:
Hey Netta, pretty twists! Do you know if your molding wax has safe ingredients? You are pleased with the health of your hairline? The wax doesn't seem to dry it out?

I don't recall the molding wax having any ingrediants that just jumped out at me....but I would guess it has a lot of stuff in there with very long names like "asdfkahsdfkhaskdfharin militriat". I think my hair line is okay and the wax has not effected it at all...then again I've only used the wax a few times. I only break it out for the super slick puff------which is very rare. Now when I did use it I noticed that it was on of those products thats best to use and then wash your hair afterwards to remove all residue. Also its best if used sparingly. It works though, it REALLY works!

MissYocairis

secretdiamond said:
I've finally learned and mastered how to never use a brush and it's all about tying down those nappy suckers. I detangle my hair at night and comb it back with my wide toothed comb. Then right before I put my scarf on I apply NTM leave-in and then spray some surge onto my hand and use it to smooth it down more --(I sometimes use a fine-toothed comb here for better smoothing). Then I put some jojoba oil to seal everything in. I quickly tie it down (and I don't even have to tie it tight) and in the morning, my hair is smooth and shiny. :) I'm 8 wks post and with using mtg it feels like more, but this has been working great for me. If my edges are a little dry, I spray some s curl on the new growth b4 I do everything else. HTH

I LOVE THAT IDEA!!! Thanks SecretDiamond. :D I am excited to try this one! Are you using a jojoba blend (like Queen Helene makes) or a straight up 100% jojoba for this?

MissYocairis

Netta1 said:
I don't recall the molding wax having any ingrediants that just jumped out at me....but I would guess it has a lot of stuff in there with very long names like "asdfkahsdfkhaskdfharin militriat". I think my hair line is okay and the wax has not effected it at all...then again I've only used the wax a few times. I only break it out for the super slick puff------which is very rare. Now when I did use it I noticed that it was on of those products thats best to use and then wash your hair afterwards to remove all residue. Also its best if used sparingly. It works though, it REALLY works!

*LOL* @ "asdfkahsdfkhaskdfharin militriat" Okay, maybe, once I start getting into the really ROUGH times (like 12 weeks post) , I'll look into the wax.

HoneyDew

CantBeCopied said:
:eek: :eek: That's a LOT HoneyDew! :p So, what about that Jam stuff? Isn't that gel? I thought Gel was a no-no. How does our hairline health respond to it?

Let's Jam works great for me, but only if I moisturize 1st. I could never use it alone. My edges were getting bad a few months ago from braids. They have grown like crazy and I think it is because I keep them VERY well moisturized. Anyway, I only have to do that while I stretch. I am 12 weeks post right now and you could never tell.

secretdiamond

You're welcome. I decided this after trial and error. I tied my hair down one night b/c I didn't have my satin covering for my pillow and in the morning I noticed that I didn't really have to brush my hair and that it laid down nicely. But then I forgot about it and still had to fight my edges down in the mornings until I noticed that they only behaved after tying them down. Duh. LOL. I started using random things-- especially products that didn't work like surge b/c did nothing for growth for me. I remember surge helped me brush it down and smooth it, but it always poofed up after a while. So I used it the night b4 and it helped to keep the moisture for me. But I don't spray it on my scalp b/c it dries it out so I just spray it on my hand and put it on the newgrowth and the rest of my hair for smoothness.
CantBeCopied said:
I LOVE THAT IDEA!!! Thanks SecretDiamond. :D I am excited to try this one! Are you using a jojoba blend (like Queen Helene makes) or a straight up 100% jojoba for this?

I decided to use jojoba oil after renee_n_3000 told me how good it was. I bought the Queen Helene one for hot oil treatment and it sucks. The oil is wayyy down the list of ingredients. So I bought one from vitamin shoppe and I really like it and a little goes a long way. I usually use about 2-3 drops from the bottle.

ETA: It's 100% jojoba oil.

Last edited:

MissYocairis

pradalover said:
I use S-curl & then Elasta QP Mango Butter then I tie my hair down with my satin scarf

***Giving Pradalover Her Props*** I broke down and used my S-curl on my edges this morning on just washed, damp hair. I also sprayed it on the length of my side part. (ran out of mango butter) It worked beautifully and even better than my Lenzi's Request (that I was trying to use up). Thanks!

MonaLisa

CantBeCopied said:
;) For all of us stretching ladies, please list your favorite products to smooth those curly, kinky, wavy or otherwise nappy edges when stretching and/or bunning. I'll start:

2) PhytoSpecifics Moisturizing Conditioning Balm - (expensive as HELL...but, even my 9 year old said, "that stuff is GOOD!) :p

Co-signing on this....along with Vonte Silk Effects.

curlyj

Though I am natural...mango Butter-for me ROCKS!
Also Lime and Mango makes a Moisturizing spray(correct name: No itch gro Spray-all natural ingredients $4.99) that lays my hair DOWN and it so moisturizing. Using a scarf as oppose to a brush is the best way to make hair line smooth...

Attachments

• full lhcf.jpg
    full lhcf.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 78
  • shine.jpg
    shine.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 77
  • poncho lhcf.jpg
    poncho lhcf.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 77
  • sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg