Nappy hair and naps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

I've seen the term naps and nappy hair on natural hair boards. What is considered nappy hair if a lot of people of color have curly or wavy hair? How do you categorize nappy hair? Are naps another word for curly?

Thanks for having patience with me everyone.
I was just wondering if nappy hair was different from curly or wavy hair.

TinyT

Well, the meaning that comes to mind is the one on the nappturality website. Dee, explains a napptural woman, as a woman who wears their highly texured hair naturally. She includes all the hair types from 2-4, and all sorts of wave patterns. So when I hear naps I am inclined to just think of natural hair of black women. It doesn't automatically make me think kinky or a particular type. The term is used freely on that site by women with a range of hair types. So I guess it just depends on the definition as used by a particular group. Hope this helps.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the meaning that comes to mind is the one on the nappturality website. Dee, explains a napptural woman, as a woman who wears their highly texured hair naturally. She includes all the hair types from 2-4, and all sorts of wave patterns. So when I hear naps I am inclined to just think of natural hair of black women. It doesn't automatically make me think kinky or a particular type. The term is used freely on that site by women with a range of hair types. So I guess it just depends on the definition as used by a particular group. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Jade21

Naps=beads, peas:)

Nappy aka kinky, coily, curly, wavy, and any combination.

The first time I ever heard the word "nappy" was a from a black woman and she was like it means "curly."

My boyfriend describes his chest hair as "beadie." Looks like coils to me which are soft as BUTTA:)

I'd just like to know when and where the terms originated.

~Jade~

AFashionSlave

I love the word "Nappy" I use it to describe highly textured hair. To me "Nappy" is a good word. I think it describes all of us sistas with natural curly, wavy, kinky, etc. hair.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I think of nappy hair as very, very tightly curled hair...

Straight hair (Lucy Liu)
Wavy hair (Chili, Ananda Lewis)
Curly hair (Gloria Reuben, Jennifer Freeman)
Nappy hair (Jill Scott, Janine Green and ME!) .

G

If one doesn't know what nappy is then you definitely don't have nappy hair. I've known what it was all my life. It is little peas that your hair turns into when it is no longer straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.