natural 4a getting frustrated

My hair became too puffy to go under wigs too lately but I started cowashing and then smoothing my hair into a low pony tail/bun and then cover it with a wig cap. It looks so much better, and if you have to have your pony tail sticking out a little bit at the bottom, just leave the hair down and no one will know.

That's not my hair. I don't take pics of my day to day style. But here is a pic a my wash & go
1232697850_30_08_08.JPG

I kinda figured that after looking at the second picture. My still still looks nowheres like yours. It's bootiful.:yep:

I am the same way, shea butter does nothing for my hair but make it hard and dry, no matter how small, or how damp my hair is, & oils does it the same way so therefore I do not use them on my hair, It works wonders for others but it sucks for me.

That's been my experience also, I was so surprised when I finally figured that out, especially since that's all my mother used on my waist length hair as a little girl.

Last edited:
A lot of ladies have given really good advice so far. I know I would not like to be rushed at the last minute in getting my hair done without forewarning but if you are REALLY limited for time (like 2 hrs), I know I would probably get my water filled spray bottle, some gel and/or strong pomade, scarf, and a brush and slick my hair back into a bun. Then tie up w/a scarf to set it. Put on some nice dangling earrings and go.

Or .. since you had twists you could do a twist out up do-just work with it. Just use some bobby pins and twist/pin up the back section and pin up/bump up the front (if that makes since). Add a nice head band and go. The twist out doesn't have to be perfect because its in an updo form.

Hair accessories always help.

For sets like twist outs, braid outs etc, they take time to "set" . I do agree with the tips everyone has said about braid outs/twist outs:

**Always make the last rinse you do a cold-COLD water one. It helps.
**When you do a set, make sure it dries completely before you touch it.
**Get a good leave in conditioner on damp hair and seal with ur ends with an oil or light butter when the hair is almost (not yet) dry.

Good luck-don't give up just yet.

Last edited:
Hi lwilliams!!! Your hair is at the length now where you could rock a really cute flat twist-out. After a certain length when growing out my hair, twists-outs and braid-outs did nothing for my hair, but a flat twist-out always turned out beautiful for me without all the work it takes to do braids and twists. Another reason they turned out nicely is because I have a few different textures on my head, and flat twist-outs made everything blend together nicely.

you know natstarm,
My first instinct is to get the spray bottle and some product. I can get some bounce but I feel like cinderella going to the ball.

Will I be able to get out before my hair dries and turns into a pumpkin?
:blush:

Even a nice looking bun can friz up on me unexpectly. Using the scarf to set it does help though.

i think it's my own fault though. I was telling DH we dont get to go out anymore since we have to little ones.
He JUST called again and told me some people in his office are having a gathering TONIGHT.

thanks for the reminder about the cold water rinse. I had gotten away from it when I started getting frustrated.

thanks!

going up stairs to see what happens (again)

A lot of ladies have given really good advice so far. I know I would not like to be rushed at the last minute in getting my hair done without forewarning but if you are REALLY limited for time (like 2 hrs), I know I would probably get my water filled spray bottle, some gel and/or strong pomade, scarf, and a brush and slick my hair back into a bun. Then tie up w/a scarf to set it. Put on some nice dangling earrings and go.

Or .. since you had twists you could do a twist out up do-just work with it. Just use some bobby pins and twist/pin up the back section and pin up/bump up the front (if that makes since). Add a nice head band and go. The twist out doesn't have to be perfect because its in an updo form.

Hair accessories always help.

For sets like twist outs, braid outs etc, they take time to "set" . I do agree with the tips everyone has said about braid outs/twist outs:

**Always make the last rinse you do a cold-COLD water one. It helps.
**When you do a set, make sure it dries completely before you touch it.
**Get a good leave in conditioner on damp hair and seal with ur ends with an oil or light butter when the hair is almost (not yet) dry.

Good luck-don't give up just yet.

Back