Natural Hair Attracts Attention

lovelexi

I've been weighing the pros and cons of natural and relaxed hair trying to figure out which direction I want my HHJ to go in. As I was debating the issue in my head it occurred to me to that natural hair attracts attention. Sometimes unwanted attention especially if you're the shy type of person (like myself) so my question to you natural ladies

Do you feel that having natural hair sets you apart/ attracts attention?

And if so how do you feel about the attention your hair attracts?

I hope everyone understands this thread without taking anything I have said offensively.

nappytherapy

I don't mind the attention ( and I think I am shy)...Especially now that my hair is BSL stretched. WHen I wear my hair out I get stares and people want to touch my hair. So I have no bad experience. I have now become the go to person at work when it comes to hair care, and I work in an extremely conservative environment. As long as your hair is healthy !

Chocolatelove2010

I wish my hair was more of an afro.. you know the perfect microphone head. Oh Gosh I love them. Then I'd walk around with a black glove and do the Black Panther Salute everywhere I went :peace:

Anyhuu don't base your decision on how people would react. Who gives a flying rats arse if people look or not. And If they do look.. start the Martin Luther King Speech ''I have a dream, that one day.. ladies such as myself can walk around with an afro and not be judged on our hair texture but on the content of our character.... Amen ''

Ms Lala

Once my natural hair got past APL it started to attract attention because people would comment on the length. Twists were not common when I first started wearing them so I used to get alot of questions about the style but not anymore. Now that my fro is huge when I where it out it always attracts attention but I don't mind it. I have found that seeing that natural hair can grow long encourages others to consider embracing their natural hair and this is actually part of my goal for being natural. My hair has been a way to start many interesting discussions not just on hair care but on race, media, etc...

lovelexi

I wish my hair was more of an afro.. you know the perfect microphone head. Oh Gosh I love them. Then I'd walk around with a black glove and do the Black Panther Salute everywhere I went :peace:

Anyhuu don't base your decision on how people would react. Who gives a flying rats arse if people look or not. And If they do look.. start the Martin Luther King Speech ''I have a dream, that one day.. ladies such as myself can walk around with an afro and not be judged on our hair texture but on the content of our character.... Amen ''

preach! :lachen:

FebeeSigns

I do feel natural hair attracts attention. Both the good and the bad. You have a few caucasians who are simply fascinated with our hair and a few blacks who are disgusted, vice versa. Because we live in a society in which straight hair is desired by almost all races, usually relaxed ladies get more good than bad attention compared to us naturals, IMO. I don't think you should allow Attention to be a primary factor in your decision, but rather consider the overall health of your hair. However, we're two different people. I wouldn't factor this into my choice but I'm sure other shy people like you would. I'm not so shy =)

Charz

Sinister Minister
My hair attracts a lot of positive attention. Especially from people of other races, male and female.

Black people like my hair too, but some of the comments lead me to believe it's because of my "grade of hair" or so how some black ppl say to mean a compliment :rolleyes:

I like the attention, I like being different.

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

Im not really shy but I have been getting a lot of attention since I bcd. positive and negative. At first I got a lot of negative. My hair was only about an inch long and had no real definition. People were always staring at me with the stank face. One guy even told me that I look like a runaway slave. But since its been growing out and my curls have definition I have been getting a bunch of compliments. I just wish people would stop asking me if I got a jerri curl.

song_of_serenity

It does because while I have been seeing heaps more natural heads these days, it still isn't the "norm." I am a shy person but I will definitely sit and talk about hair with a sweet person who initiates!

I have been getting a lot of women randomly stopping me to talk about natural hair and how they have or are considering chopping because of being sick of relaxers, the cost of upkeep etc. I LOVE this!

Lots of googly eyes from men of other races when I wear it curly and big. :S
Lots of stares (and a few questions) on where I got my "curly piece" or "how did you get your hair like that?" That's always funny, it lets me know my hair is growing!
Lots "Nubian queen" and "Princess" and "sister" from black men vs the "YO SHORTAAY" I used to get as a relaxed head.

By a lot a mean vs when I was just another relaxed girl that blended in with the other relaxed heads in the crowd. :) I only got a few looks or weaved check, no real questions on how or the health aspect.

agar10

Being natural does attrack attention period, because the common conception of black hair is (usually) short and straight. with some people, i find more than others they seem to marvel over our hair when it tends to be in its natural state. it just depends on the person thats viewing the hair. i would say it attracts postive attention because everyone (mostly) seem to think my hair is nice. there are a select view (mostly ignorant people) that seem to think our hair is nappy and will talk about it negativly in your face. (i've come in close contact with the very thing) just know that if you want beautiful healthy hair that you are going to do what is right for you, no matter if it negative or postive attention.

hope this made sense.. :)

southerncitygirl

My hair attracts a lot of positive attention. Especially from people of other races, male and female.

Black people like my hair too, but some of the comments lead me to believe it's because of my "grade of hair" or so how some black ppl say to mean a compliment :rolleyes:

i have this issue as well, i'm either 3c or a 3c/4a mix and i get this alot:nono:, the longer it gets cause its bigger the more people seem to like it!

Vashti

I've been natural for years and it definitely gets attention. Good and bad. I'm quiet and reserved in person so it took some getting used to people's stares and comments in the past but I've always been different or an outsider so after a while it didn't bother me much. These days people don't stare nearly as much because a lot of black people wear their hair natural these days so it's not as uncommon. Most of the negativity in the past came from black women but I have noticed now that my hair has been steadily growing and getting healthier that they have noticed this and some have been asking me questions on what products I use. I get positive comments from people from time to time, in the past and now. if natural hair really suits you then wear it that way. if you have a lot of self confidence negative comments have a way of bouncing off. ;)

Last edited:

My Friend

Yes. Natural hair does attract attention. People want to touch it :ohwell: have conversations with you about and take pictures of it :yep: Some people stare while others try not to stare :spinning: Some people think I'm "deep" while others think I don't comb my hair :wallbash: Whowudda thought that you life would change so much just because you decided not to relax your hair :rolleyes:

SiobhanM

Have you guys been paying attention to advertisements lately?
Ikea, Target, Kohls, Banks, Colgate, Match.com, etc
Almost all the african americans have natural hair. I really like it. I think its obvious naturals attract attention and it just may be more attractive based on the advertisements ive seen.
When I wear my hair straight i really dont attract anyone. But when i wear a 2strand twists or bantu knot outs. OH MY do i turn heads. From people wanting to touch my hair to Caucasians thinking "that is so cool"
Although im very shy I like when people ask me questions on hair care because of my natural hair. Makes me feel good.
I just think when people see relaxed hair straight its not intriguing, but if they see a cute curly fro of course theyre going to want to ask questions or touch.

MizzBrit

yes every time i wear my hair out..i get looks,touches,compliments and even questions.its all positive.

ActionActress

There's something about being natural that makes you feel a certain way. Can't really explain it. However, I do feel organic, unique, special, and yes dare I say exotic. I think I am about to sport a Diana Ross ala Donna Somer look in a minute.:grin:
There's something, old...ancient...and true about having natural hair. So you do stand out. I did it because I wanted softer more healthier hair.
My natural hair is a diadem no other woman has, and as it grows my majesty increases. I am that bird on the wire that faces in the other direction.

AA

Miss_C

It definitely attracts attention, but mostly good attention. People are amazed by how our hair is. It's different and beautiful. And if you're a natural that doesn't straighten, one day you'll look around and realize all the other girls around have straight locks. You will feel unique and proud.

ImanAdero

For me, being natural has DEFINITELY made me stand out. I've pretty much ALWAYS gotten positive feedback from it also.

In FACT, sometimes, I'll have a bad hair day, and someone will STILL compliment me on it. I mean, wake up and go out of the house and walking down the street someone will say my silly high puff looks cute (go figure that bed head is in style).

Also, I think that there's something that commands attention about an afro. After all, it is can be associated with black nationalism (which scares some), but nonetheless is something that has always commanded attention and caused people to take a second look.

The attention has never been overwhelming though, so you should be fine.

FRESHstart101

yeah it attracts (unwanted) stares sometimes, and i too am a very shy person (if i don't know you that is) but that makes me walk with more
confidence. natural hair has brought a strut along in my walk which
i really appreciate. i seem to focus more on where I'm trying to get
then to what the ppl around me are staring at. you know what i
mean ? like, .. i don't look at ppl's faces anymore when i walk. not
because i fear there expression but because i honestly couldn't
care less if they look or not. you don't owe anyone an explanation
for what naturally grows out of your head.

thee end. :)

EccentricRed

I think people notice, but as I'm seeing more and more naturals (at least in my area) it is not a big deal. Every comment that has been spoken has been positive. I also get the, "I'd go natural too if I had your texture," comment...which I think is a shame.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do what makes YOU feel good!

nikolite

It attracts attention for me, but the good kind of attention. I normally wouldn't like attention too much but it gives me more confidence because people are fascinated, admire it, or find it attractive. Even though more women are doing it, it still makes you very unique and even "exotic," especially with the assortment of styles you can where when you're natural.

Honestly, people who make bad comments (which I haven't experienced but I know others have) are mainly just jealous that they wouldn't have been able to embrace their own hair in the same way and hate on the appeal that it gives you. Seriously its all hateration; I really wish some naturals would've realized that sooner rather than later and they would have a much easier time enjoying their hair.

Unlike some other people's experiences, I actually GOT a job partly because of my natural hair and the image it projected. I went in with very old, frizzy twists that were somewhat cute but odd-looking to me. I was agonizing about what to do with my hair before the interview, and ended up having to leave out that way at the last minute. I got compliments from my interviewer, who just thought it was the coolest thing about me (he was white) and added to my personality--it was an interesting contrast to the business suit I was wearing that added appeal. I think natural hair also makes you look like a very confident and bold person, even when you're not really (although to some extent you are because you went natural! :lol:).

SweetSpirit86

I'm not shy...but I do keep to myself. If you don't bother me, I won't bother you either sort of person. You have a legitimate question, and I see no reason to be offended.

Do you feel that having natural hair sets you apart/ attracts attention? And if so how do you feel about the attention your hair attracts? (I bunched my answer altogether.)

It does, but that's because of other people's stereotypes. Sometimes it's good, others it's bad, but I don't usually let it bother me. I'm more apt to laugh at ignorance and let a person feel stupid than get upset with it. On the same token, I feel that relaxed hair does as well..when it's an extreme. If it's chewed up ugly, it gets attention...if it's super healthy, shiny...it gets attention. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Though, natural hair does seem to get a little more, from my experience.

JollyGal

Do you feel that having natural hair sets you apart/ attracts attention?

And if so how do you feel about the attention your hair attracts?

I hope everyone understands this thread without taking anything I have said offensively.

Hi Op,

I think all hair attracts attention. If your hair looks good it attracts attention, if your hair looks "bad" it attracts attention.

Having said that, natural hair DOES get more attention because black women are seen to have "straight" hair. In some parts of the world it is very rare to see a black woman with natural hair. The situation where I live is about 25% naturals and 75% straight (weave, relaxed, extensions etc...). I live in a part of London where most ethnicities have straight hair. Wearing your natural hair will be considered a "bold" thing to do and far from the "norm". There are not that many black women in the area to begin with but those who do reside there wear their hair straight.

IMHO the only "con" to natural hair is that detangling and styling take long. There are no shortcuts when it comes to anything natural.

To answer your questions;

Yes I do feel that having natural hair set me apart from my peers. It does attract attention and the type of attention really depends on where you set foot. If I go to certain places where black women wear their hair straight the attention that I receive can sometimes be negative. I've had the worse experiences walking past black hair salons, black hair stores and silly men hanging on the street corners. I think that these experiences are due to ignorance.
My natural hair has received plenty of positive attention :grin: My hair is thriving and it feels fab. The only rain I will allow on my parade is the rain from the sky.

Shy and retiring types please wear your natural hair if you want to. Remember the only person you have to answer to is yourself.

Diva_Esq

I echo all your comments! Get out of my head! :)

I have been getting a lot of attention, and my relaxed hair was nice too, but this attention is different! I am loving it though. It's an opportunity to let my personality shine b/c I think it finally fits my hair. :) VERSATILE!

I, too, can do without the grade of hair comments! :rolleyes: Some say it to seemingly make it seem like my naturality isn't as real as others. Miss me with your jiggaboo/ wannabe complex brainwash crap. Natural is natural regardless of the type. My journey is no less than any others. I do understand that my type 3 hair may be seen by some as easier to manage than type 4, but being insulting doesn't change anything. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure type 4's get negativity. Type 3's do too at times.

Anywho, *steps down from the soapbox*, I think we natural ladies DESERVE the attention. It takes commitment to buck the standard. :)

Good day, all! :)

mahogany66

My natural hair attracts a lot of attention. I get tons of compliments and some people (strangers) even ask to touch it..:look: . I find this amazing because my hair is still short and it looks ok to me because I can't do much with it. I can't imagine the attention I'll get a few yrs from now when it is BIG and more BEAUTIFUL.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i am a shy person and i actually love all the attention my natural hair gets, especially since the attention is usually from other naturals, therefore it is positive attention. the only bad experience i had with my hair attracting attention was in the club when that guy touched my frohawk. that made me think about flatironing it next time i went out so i could blend in lol. ♥

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Honestly, I think it depends on how you WEAR your natural hair. My hair is natural and I hardly ever get attention. Why? Because it's in a bun every day. If I chose to wear my hair out, beautiful and big like most other naturals, it might be a different story.

But ain't nobody checkin' for my bun. :lol:

SmilingElephant

I don't care where you from.....that right there is FUNNY!!!!....(I had a visual:laugh:)

Okay but yeah....i'm semi-shy....i used to be really shy....but nowadays i can walk in a room and i have ppls attention...without trying:lachen:......

But i don't care anymore about what ppl think and what they like and don't like. When you come to a point in life when other ppls opinions don't phase you then you can be yourself....and just think...what a waste of life during those times when i DID care what ppl thought about me.

ETA: I'm transitioning:)