Natural Hair Attracts Attention

Tiye

I think some types of natural hair attract more attention than others. If it's big and curly I think a lot of people are fascinated. If it doesn't have natural curl definition but you have a funky braid out pinned up on the sides or something like that - then some people like to see that. If you have regular 4b-z hair that you haven't gone out of your way to texture, and people are asking to touch it then please chime in. Truthfully I only see this kind of hair big and out on guys in between cornrow jobs and I'm always impressed but I never see it on women. However a woman with 4b-z hair can attract quite a few compliments if it's a twa or short fro. These are my personal observations.

Then there are some people who only like straight hair and call the slightest wave "nappy" so response varies.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Honestly, I think it depends on how you WEAR your natural hair. My hair is natural and I hardly ever get attention. Why? Because it's in a bun every day. If I chose to wear my hair out, beautiful and big like most other naturals, it might be a different story.

But ain't nobody checkin' for my bun. :lol:

You are too funny. I kinda agree though. For me too, most people don't remember me any other way than the way I wear it now. Change is what gets most people's attention. When I wear it out and curly, I get attention and when I wear it out and straight, I get attention.

Bubblingbrownshuga

Yes, natural hair brings about attractions.

No, I don't like the attention, mainly because people end up making me uncomfortable with their speeches and by them wanting to caress or pat my hair.

lovelexi

Have you guys been paying attention to advertisements lately?
Ikea, Target, Kohls, Banks, Colgate, Match.com, etc
Almost all the african americans have natural hair. I really like it. I think its obvious naturals attract attention and it just may be more attractive based on the advertisements ive seen.
When I wear my hair straight i really dont attract anyone. But when i wear a 2strand twists or bantu knot outs. OH MY do i turn heads. From people wanting to touch my hair to Caucasians thinking "that is so cool"
Although im very shy I like when people ask me questions on hair care because of my natural hair. Makes me feel good.
I just think when people see relaxed hair straight its not intriguing, but if they see a cute curly fro of course theyre going to want to ask questions or touch.

I have noticed this to but then again I have noticed that most of the naturals I see on TV are type 3c/4a. It seems odd to me. Is this another way of society trying to tell us that natural hair is only acceptable when it conforms to society's definition of "good hair?"

Anashja

I think it does make you stand out and its both good and bad. A lot of the women at church enjoy my hair even the Pastor, but i've had people in leadership give me negative comments especially b/c I wear my twists out and I dont have the length to weigh them down. So they are all around...I love it. One person asked me if I needed to borrow her comb! I laughed, I see it more as envy that Im doing what they wish they were bold enough to do. It helps my husband loves it, though sometimes too much I have to remove HIS fingers from my hair ... my family has become supportive as they see it grow but there will always be naysayers...

omachine

yes, it does attract attention. weird. good. but for me, mostly weird attention.

i think the texture of my hair has inspired the weirdness. i once ran a program that involved an equal amount of black and latino children. the last day of the event a group of the female students literally cornered me and demanded to know if i were black or latino! these girls were intense!! the question of ethnicity was sooo important to them and all because of my hair...

and no i do not enjoy the attention because people take too many liberties with it...twice i've had someone threaten to cut off my hair...i've been accused of wearing a wig or weave..my ethnicity has been repeatedly questioned...the only time i get some rest from it is when i'm in a situation where diversity is the norm...where curly haired people are a dime a dozen and come in all shades...

damn i just re-read my rant and i sound bitter but i'm not...just a tad frustrated and i second chocolatelove2010's statement!!

LovinLocks

I've been weighing the pros and cons of natural and relaxed hair trying to figure out which direction I want my HHJ to go in. As I was debating the issue in my head it occurred to me to that natural hair attracts attention. Sometimes unwanted attention especially if you're the shy type of person (like myself) so my question to you natural ladies

Do you feel that having natural hair sets you apart/ attracts attention?

No

And if so how do you feel about the attention your hair attracts?

People say, "It's pretty"; and "Where did you get hair like that?"

I hope everyone understands this thread without taking anything I have said offensively.

No offense here. :yawn:

Last edited:

Nelli04

I've gotten stares that make me feel insecure, but people have also given me compliments...I'm still getting used to it since I have recently started to wear my hair big

But I am slowly feeling empowered and as I continue to wear my hair big I am caring less and less about the stares...Like others have said I feel my hair makes me different because a lot of the other black chicks I see in my area are rocking straight styles. (although that is changing)

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I get a lot of attention usually in the form of annoying questions.

When I wear my hair out (not often) I get a bunch of "how u getcho' hair like 'dat?" I tell them I'm natural and they either don't get it, or make some dropped-out-of-10th grade comment about me not really being Black or having "good hair". Gets on my nerves.

If you're anything like me, you'll be sad for a couple of months that it seems like Black people don't even know how they look without all the implements.

zzirvingj

Wearing my hair out natural definitely attracts attention. Sometimes people stare, sometimes people complement me, sometimes they ask questions about it.

It's usually positive attention so I don't mind, and I'm pretty introverted/shy.

I had a guy make a loud comment on it in an elevator once. :blush: He said, "Girl you know you got a LOTTA hair! But good thing for you though, you got that GOOD hair so you can wear it like that...that's good for you!" :rolleyes:

I was embarrassed and the elevator was packed, but I just had to respond so as I was stepping out of the elevator I said, "Thank you for the complement. I think that everyone who takes care of their hair and keeps it healthy has 'good' hair." *nod* *wink*

tocktick

Do you feel that having natural hair sets you apart/ attracts attention?

In certain situations, it does. In other situations - not really. When I was at university in a moderately less diverse city, it attracted attention when I was in social settings. In the capital city that I'm from some people look if I'm wearing my hair out and big but there are quite a few naturals in certain areas with big hair (mainly type 3b/c though, tbh). I do not think it's a bad thing people notice my hair, it's simply something that many (well, depending on your location) people aren't used to seeing in abundance unlike the other type 1-3a hair types.

And if so how do you feel about the attention your hair attracts?

I'm fine with it. If I wasn't, I would really just bun all day every day. However, I used to do blow-outs a lot (see avatar) and now that I'm off heat and my hair is BSB, I wear some full twist-outs now and again. There has only been one time that I can recall where I didn't like the attention my natural hair received - it wasn't a comment but someone thinking they could touch it on the sly. Most reactions I get are the occasional stare (not a bad one) at my hair, a neutral reaction or the "omg! Your hair looks amazing!" response. I wore a big twist-out to work one day having mainly kept my hair in buns & braids and I got compliments from almost everyone (everyone else was neutral). I'm an introvert and never really thought I'd get much attention from outsiders but if I knew at my transition what I know now, I would have still gone natural. I do this for me and not for others.

Last edited:

manter26

I get a lot of stares when I walk around campus these days. I notice it but I love my hair so it doesn't matter what other people think of it.

localhost

I get mostly positive feedback. I wear my hair in twists mostly and people of other races seem to be the most interested. In between twist sessions I wear my hair in a shrunken fro and I get looks but no.comments. I don't care really what the next person says about it. You may find that sadly its other blacks that take issue or make racist comments. Cultural assimilation is the Negro norm even in this day and age.

godsflowerrr

Natural hair definitely makes you stand out. I always get attention ...good attention from all races. It was so funny when this indian man stopped me in the mall and was like "I just Lovvvvve your hair... how did you get it like that?" lol. People always want to touch my hair and I don't really mind. Many people compliment me and ask me about tips to grow their hair out. Almost everytime I go out I always have some sort of hair convo with somebody....especially when I wear by wild curly fros. I love hair so I don't mind chatting about hair at all. Wearing your hair with confidence is the key for me. If you are wearing your natural hair and feel very uncomfortable, insecure / shy about it..... people can tell. You can get away with just about any hair style as long as you wear it with your head held high and feel great about it.