Natural Hair Salons - Yay or Nay?

Cherokee-n-Black

I know it's widely held on LHCF and I believe this too that salon stylists are the enemy. However, I used a salon stylist for all of my touch-ups and trims when I was relaxed. I know they cut more than I wanted them to, but it grew back (especially the longer I stayed away :yep:). A couple of naturals have suggested some salons, and my "relaxed hair" stylist recommended Dickey (sp?) from Hair Rules. I'm just a little concerned about doing a BC in a salon and coming away without the full fruits of my year-long transition. Thoughts?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
A knowledgeable stylist is never looked down upon. In fact, we shout out to Reniece for her hair skills. :spinning: You do what works for your hair!:yep: We only want you to stay from the bad salons who use and abuse your hair and wallet!

Forever in Bloom

Well, I have only been to 3 'natural' salons in my area, and I would only go back to one.
My hair got better treatment at salons that specialized in everything from relaxers and coloring to BKT's and perms. I went to 2 of these and would definitely go back! It seemed like the natural salons were h*** bent on using fine tooth combs and being rough with my hair. But you're in NY, so you've got a multitude of options.

I have A. Dickey's book and I would love for him to do my hair :grin: Heck, I'd even let him cut it, and I rarely let anyone else do that but me and my stylist who actually knows what a trim is.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't think salon stylist are the enemy. However, I do think you have to interview and/or evaluate a number of them to find one that will work with your goals. If you have specific goals, you need to discuss your goals with the stylist before they start working with you.

In short, ask the questions you need to ask long before allowing them to start the service. Schedule time for a consult first. Let them look at your hair and come up with a plan of treatment. Same with getting trims, if you need a trim, ask their opinion and get them to explain why if you don't understand (i.e. she recommends you remove an 1" and you really thought you needed 1/4").

alive

i'd recommend doing your homework and being sure that you will be able to speak up or walk away if they are being too rough with your hair. it doesn't have to be in a rude manner or anything :yep: i found a great salon in my town by using a directory i found online (i think it was treasured locks) and did my homework well before going. it was a great experience and i would probably go back if i decide i don't want to do my own hair one day

Cherokee-n-Black

I don't think salon stylist are the enemy. However, I do think you have to interview and/or evaluate a number of them to find one that will work with your goals. If you have specific goals, you need to discuss your goals with the stylist before they start working with you.

In short, ask the questions you need to ask long before allowing them to start the service. Schedule time for a consult first. Let them look at your hair and come up with a plan of treatment. Same with getting trims, if you need a trim, ask their opinion and get them to explain why if you don't understand (i.e. she recommends you remove an 1" and you really thought you needed 1/4").

I do think there are good ones out there, but they don't grow on trees. Overall, I find most stylists get an idea in their head, and that's what they do, no master what conversation you have beforehand. I guess my inquiry has more to do with whether natural salons are any different from the run of the mill.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I do think there are good ones out there, but they don't grow on trees. Overall, I find most stylists get an idea in their head, and that's what they do, no master what conversation you have beforehand. I guess my inquiry has more to do with whether natural salons are any different from the run of the mill.

Well, my experience with natural salons is limited - I went to three for consultations but choose a regular salon in the end. But from what I have seen, some regular salon stylist either don't want to (or don't know) how to deal with natural hair. So the plus with a natural salon is that the stylist have some experience dealing with natural hair. However, you still have to find out if they will offer the services you want. For example, I still want to get my hair rollerset. One natural salon did not offer that at all. Two others offered it. Some salons tend to offer more loc and twist services. Not all press hair (or even flat iron).

But the biggest issue I had was pricing. There was no way around the fact that many charge more (at least upfront) than regular salons. In the end, I think if you know what you want (expect), you can decide who has the services that appeal to you.

virtuenow

bring a tape measurer. some stylists say 1/4" but really mean 1", so get the measurements straight w/the stylist before the cut.