Natural Haired Ladies! Please Post Your Summer Hair Care Regimen!

SignatureBeauty

I think this would be a Great Thread for those that are Newly Natural and could use some good Summer Tips or for others we could learn something New:grin: I'll Start:)

My Products as of Now! (I am sure it will change later)

Suave Milk n Honey or Citrus Smoothie Conditioner ( I like to add honey to my conditioners)
911 Creamy Leave in for Dry Hair
Elasta QP Mango Butter
My Homemade Daily Hair Spritz
MTG 3X a week (I noticed increase in growth recently I had stopped for a while)
Lustrasilk Shea Butter-Cholestrol-Mango Conditioner

Saturdays- I Shampoo w/ Creame of Nature then Deep Condition w/ Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango (1hr)
Apply MTG,Then apply EQP Mango Butter.

Mondays- CW, Then apply 911 Leave in & Mango Butter

Wednesdays- CW, Then apply MTG & Mango Butter
Tuesday,Thursday & Fridays I just spritz my hair with my Homemade spritz so that I don't have too much build up of hair products!

Last edited:
For the summer I plan on wearing my hair out more, slicking it back w/gel into a ponytail, or twists. whatever I feel like really. My staples are the same year round (Elucence, shea butter, homemade spritz, Qhemet heavy creme & africa's best oil) but i am adding Eco Gel & Suave Toasted Vanilla sugar conditioner-cause I plan on doing co-washes 2 x a week rather than once a week.

At first, I was going to do the daily co-washing routine, but I got bored with it after two weeks. I can't stick with a routine at all.

For the summer, I plan on doing twistouts. I love wearing my hair stretched out to show off my length. I will shampoo and condition once every 1-2 weeks. My wash day will be the only day I comb/detangle my hair. After washing, I will moisturize and then braid it up. Once it airdries, I'll unravel the braids. Each night, I'll put my hair in two-strand twists and then unravel in the morning. I plan on buying some jojoba oil to use on my hair on a daily basis to protect it. This may sound like a lot but I will not be combing my hair daily and my hair is in it's strongest state when it is dry. The daily washing routine made my hair too soft and weak, so I have opt to do twist-outs as my main style, a style that I love and have the less breakage with! :)

Products I use and alternate with...

Shampoos:
Creme of Nature Regular Formula for Normal Hair
J/A/S/O/N Naturals Biotin

Conditioners:
Suave Humectant

Moisturizers:
S-Curl No Drip Formula
Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream
Extra virgin olive oil

I was transitioning last summer and did the BC in July. This summer is the first summer that I'll actually have natural hair I can style. Last summer when I was transitioning I mostly alternated between twists and twistouts every week. Sometimes I would alternated between cornrows and braidouts on a weekly basis as well. I also did conditioner washes and I plan to do them once a week this summer and I'll shampoo once or twice every 4 weeks.

Poohbear said:
At first, I was going to do the daily co-washing routine, but I got bored with it after two weeks. I can't stick with a routine at all.

For the summer, I plan on doing twistouts. I love wearing my hair stretched out to show off my length. I will shampoo and condition once every 1-2 weeks. My wash day will be the only day I comb/detangle my hair. After washing, I will moisturize and then braid it up. Once it airdries, I'll unravel the braids. Each night, I'll put my hair in two-strand twists and then unravel in the morning. I plan on buying some jojoba oil to use on my hair on a daily basis to protect it. This may sound like a lot but I will not be combing my hair daily and my hair is in it's strongest state when it is dry. The daily washing routine made my hair too soft and weak, so I have opt to do twist-outs as my main style, a style that I love and have the less breakage with! :)

Shampoos:

Conditioners:
Suave Humectant

Moisturizers:
S-Curl No Drip Formula
Extra virgin olive oil

Pooh, that sounds like a good regimine for this summer. :)

I don't have a summer routine, heck I don't have a fall, winter, or spring one either.:grin:

I am taking notes and I will be stealing some of you ladies routines though!!!:look:

Poohbear, How does the suave humectress compare to the nexxus one? Also I am with you on buying the Jojoba oil.

natstar said:
For the summer I plan on wearing my hair out more, slicking it back w/gel into a ponytail, or twists. whatever I feel like really. My staples are the same year round (Elucence, shea butter, homemade spritz, Qhemet heavy creme & africa's best oil) but i am adding Eco Gel & Suave Toasted Vanilla sugar conditioner-cause I plan on doing co-washes 2 x a week rather than once a week.

wow, this sounds yummy! I haven't seen this is the stores,yet.....is it new? tia

ETA: my summer regimen

-CW every 2-3 days w/Herbal essences(pink or red bottle) or Suave fresh berry smoothie/toasted vanilla sugar(thanks natstar)
-apply leave in(Asha's silk rose)
-apply s-curl(that is until a find a natural replacement)
-apply grapeseed oil(or Asha's omega oil) to my ends

-pre poo w/Nexxus botanic oil or Asha's honeydew moisture balance treatment
-poo once a week(on Sunday) w/Asha's rosemary & sage shampoo
-deep condition w/Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose
-apply leave in(Asha's silk rose)
-apply water based moisturizer & follow w/grapeseed oil or Asha's omega oil

Last edited:
@ shellzfoshizzle, You really think that's a good regimen? Great...thanks girl! :D

@ hopeg80, I have never tried the Nexxus Humectress, so I'm not sure how it compares to Suave Humectant. ;)

well this summer, i'm going to try to it real simple! i'm leaning towards having my hair cut in a shape so it would look better with wash n gos.

i will shampoo once every 2 weeks with elucence shampoo. and i'm looking to get the elucence clarifying shampoo to help with product buildup.

i will do con washes whenever my hair feels and looks like it needs it , probably 1-2 twice a week. i will probably also try the suave line for con washes

leave ins, my staple is giovanni leave in

once a month i will do a protein treatment with giovanni nutrafix reconstructor (love it!) also, i'll alternate with the lekair conditioners(peach one but i do want to try the shea butter one)

for summer i don't like using heavy pomades on my hair, i usually just do my twists with a light moisturizer, i like jamaican mango cactus leave in and i think i might go ahead and finally try a light oil, like jojoba oil also!

wishing everyone success with their summer regimens!!:)

Jasmine26 your twist are beautiful are they all natural or extensions?

Tishee Suave Toasted Vanilla Sugar is not new it has been out for awhile, I used this in the Winter time, I don't know why But I love everything Vanilla in winter, then when spring comes it is back to Milk n Honey!!!

I have scents for each season almost! I don't know why!
But it is a light scent and smells great!

NappyParadise said:
Jasmine26 your twist are beautiful are they all natural or extensions?

Tishee Suave Toasted Vanilla Sugar is not new it has been out for awhile, I used this in the Winter time, I don't know why But I love everything Vanilla in winter, then when spring comes it is back to Milk n Honey!!!

I have scents for each season almost! I don't know why!
But it is a light scent and smells great!

really?!?! the only one I have seen in my area(memphis,tn) is the vanilla floral. check your pm.

spring/summer routine
-Shampoo, deep condition and detangle with a wide tooth comb once a week
-Do conditioner washes every other day in between shampoos, fingercombing only afterwards.
-After washes, apply leave-in and castor oil
-trim every 2-3 months by putting hair in medium size twists and snipping off the ends.
-clarify hair if needed with either a baking soda/water rinse or Elucence volumizing clarifying shampoo.

Products currently in use:
-Shampoo: Elucence moisture benefits shampoo
-Deep Conditioner: Aubrey Organics GPB or Fantasia IC super concentrated reconstructor
-Regular conditioner's: Aura Cherry almond bark, Elucence Moisture Balance, Suave humectant, Dove intense moisture
-Leave in: Elucence Moisture balance
-other styling: Fantasia IC gel with sparklelites, castor oil or homemade flax concoction.

I'll be doing the same regimen I had last summer (and every subsequent season): con washing and wash n go puffing every day. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm 13 months post, still transitioning...

But this summer I plan to wash (shampoo, condition & deep condition) my hair every 10-14 days. This worked pretty well for me last summer-- my hair wasn't stripped or oily.

For shampoo I'll switch between CON (original), NTM & ApHogee Rose
For conditioner I'll switch between cholesterol and organics

I'll be doing a lot of protective styles to retain length and re-evaluate my hair once August rolls around (then I'll be 18 months post) :)

tishee said:
really?!?! the only one I have seen in my area(memphis,tn) is the vanilla floral. check your pm.

You are so right! I am wrong it is Vanilla Floral, and then Toasted Vanilla Sugar Body Wash, But if I amnot mistaken they use to have a Toasted Vanilla Sugar Shampoo & Conditioner a while back and then it dissappeard!

Someone Please Correct Me If I am Wrong:(

Im in the beginning of my transitioning stage( i have about 2 inches of NG) so I plan to use cream of nature shampoo and etae products. Im going do a wet set once a week for my curly fro look. I will use la india miracle pomade also. Thats all, very simple and little manipulation. :)

This summer I plan on wearing mostly cornrows, flat twists and two strand twists.

Shampoo-
Elucence Moisture Benefits mixed with a little lemon juice- as needed ( every month or so)

Conditioner- Elucence Moisture Balancing- daily use when hair is down.

Moisture- Homemade mixture using Coconut oil,sweet almond oil,jojoba, Taliah Waajid's Detangler Softener Remover and Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave-in Moisturizer. It sounds like a lot but it's really not and I like it a lot when my hair is down. Otherwise I will just use the jojoba oil when it's in cornrows.

Deep Conditioning- NOT SURE YET!

I plan on CW every other day, and DC & CW every other wash/every 4 days (using Le Kair Shea Butter Cholestral Creme or another). Spritzing every morning and afternoon (I only comb/style my hair while damp less stress and breakage).
Scalp massages every morning and evening.
Nightly moisturising with Shea butter and Emu Oil.
Shampooing every 2 weeks along with DC and MTG alternative to nourish my scalp.

MeechUK

Poohbear said:

Shampoos:

Conditioners:
Suave Humectant

Moisturizers:
S-Curl No Drip Formula
Extra virgin olive oil

Poohbeard do you mind posting what's in this for me, please? I have tried to google and no luck. tia

ETA: I found it.

nappyparadise,

you're right i saw the toasted vanilla sugar poo & cond. @ walmart today! i picked up that and the citrus smoothie con for my con washes. i didn't find the suave milk and honey:(

I plan on doing mostly wash n' go's and braid outs this summer. I use DDTA or cholesterol to co wash with, condition w/ Dove IM, apply Carefree Curl moisturizer and WGO. Moisturize with Qhemet Heavy Cream or Sidr Tree Butter daily. Fantasia IC and FOTE aloe vera gel for extra hold and for slicking back into a ponytail which is usually the way I always wear it. I gotta try to remember to do honey rinses this summer also. I had great results with that!

right now I am in braids. I am doing the crown and glory method.

One last thing to worry about during my last couple of moths of pregnancy.

jasmine26 said:
nappyparadise,

you're right i saw the toasted vanilla sugar poo & cond. @ walmart today! i picked up that and the citrus smoothie con for my con washes. i didn't find the suave milk and honey:(

you saw it! can you do a cp for me? I see the milk & honey here ALL the time and can send it to you....no prob at all.

I want to try CW every day for the next 2 weeks to see how my hair will react. I plan to use either Dubar Vatika or Amla oil everynight and CW with VO5 every morning.

jasmine26 said:
nappyparadise,

So there is a Toatsed Vanilla & Sugar! I thought I had seen them before but then I never saw them again and I thought that the Vanilla Floral Replaced it, WOW that is good to know, when I go to wal mart I will check it out, so it must be like New again.

Thanks Jasmine26:D

i will be rinsing everyday unlike the CO washing i did this winter and fall. im eliminating gels and styling products and

my staple products are:
kenra MC daily, giovanni direct leave in daily, surge mixture on my scalp and jojoba/castor oil mixture everyday.

for special occasions, i will do twist outs and for lifeless curls, ill revive them with jessicurl awe inspiraling spray. for more moisture in case my hair dries out during the day which is unlikely, my moisture mixture.

i will shampoo with my shampoo bar bi-monthly and clarify once a month. deep conditioning is also once a month. henna gloss in between henna coloring. henna coloring is also once a month.

my regimen has not changed except the eiliminating of the conditioner washing

Nice thread...

This will be my second summer as a natural. I learned a lot my first time (after I had to cut off damage :( ) So this summer I plan to do pretty much the same thing I've been doing except I will add products that have sun protection. I'll still do CW, twists, twist-outs, etc.

Products
*Sedal Verano intense (sun protection)
*Pantene breakage control
*I still mix my own leave-ins...for summer I add shea butter for more sun protection but cut down on butters & heavy oils, replace w/light ones.

Back