natural ladies do you......................?

TCT

natural heads, i need a lil help getting my regimi down.

4 hair types. do you cowash frequently, or does that lead to tangles. if you do co wash ofter, how often is it? is it daily, every other day ect.....

how often do you wash. is washing with shampoo more than 1or 2 a week drying?

lastly how often do you deep condition?

poetist

I have cowashed everywhere between daily to once a week. The key was making sure that my hair was braided when cowashing - this minimizes manipulation, tangling, and breakage.

Now that my hair has gotten longer, I cowash once a week (usually on Wednesday's) and cowash, followed by a deep condition on the weekend, again in braids.

I clarify whenever my hair feels extra oily or grimy (which can be once every 2-3 weeks.) For my hair, shampooing weekly is definitely too drying. I tend to prefer to shampoo/clarify with baking soda because it's less drying. I always folow with a DC.

HTH

WhipEffectz1

I use cw a couple times a week but now that its become longer, I can't be bothered.:nono: I'm down to like 1-2 times a week because the whole process is starting to take too much time. I only use shampoo once a week if that. I try to deep condition once a week if I'm not in weave.

TCT

thank you all for the information. from your responses i gather that it is possible to cowash daily, and deep conditioning should be done atleast 1nce awk. also i see you guys have used some alternatives to shampoo like baking soda. i dont know for sure if im allergic to that but i do have some issues with it, so what about if i dilute the shampoo with in an inch of its life, so that it wont be so drying, or better yet just no poo wash with conditioner.

the only thing i worry about is are my poares really becoming clean when i do this (with the coditioner) my hair gets clean just fine, but i am also moving my hand down the length of it in the shower. making sure to get the oil and dirt off of it. my poares on the other hand are inside. and i tend to add oil to my scalp and hair often because they are both pretty dry. this is why i think that i need shampoo to deffinately clean my scalp poares. what do you lady's think?

Baking soda over dries my scalp as well - and makes my hair fell like straw. I have had success diluting Dr Bonners shampoos with water and adding olive oil to them to make them extra moisturizing. Your scalp should be fine if you don't put too much oil/product directly on it. A little oil 1x/2x a week is fine. I deep condition twice a month - but I have short hair.

Sunshine0801

4 hair types. do you cowash frequently, or does that lead to tangles. if you do co wash ofter, how often is it? is it daily, every other day ect.....

No, I don't cowash frequently, because I don't like manipulating my hair too much. I usually DC once a week, sometimes once every two weeks but never longer than that.

I don't shampoo my hair anymore, but I clarify once a month with baking soda and water.

HTH!

AfroKink

I find shampoo really drying, so I don't use it. I use "black soap" every few months. I made a shikakai spray that was really cleansing without stripping my hair.

I usually conwash once a week, in braids or twists. It's winter here and walking around with wet hair is a no-no. When I wear twist or braid extensions I conwash every 2 days (weather permitting).

Lys

Bosslady1

Good info. ladies!:yep:

I am transitioning and it is good to know what routine might work best when I am 100% natural.

So far, I am going with braided co-washes 1x a week.:yep:

Crown

Cowash or just rinse, in braids: less tangles and manipulation.
Hot times: 4x/week (monday/thursday)
Cold times 1-2x/w (monday and wenesday)

1x/week (friday), I put conditioner on my hair and wash my scalp.

DC 1x/w, on wash day: friday

brownsugarflyygirl

I am a 4a natural...

I shampoo my hair every 2-3 weeks and deep condition with every shampoo. Depending on my hair needs, I may co-wash once between poos. Also, because I dont poo very often, I always clarify the first lather with Elucence...its a gentle clarifying poo.

In the summer, I co-wash more frequently...but its very random. I may co-wash every day for a week because of a style and then not co-wash again for another 3 weeks.

Its all about knowing your scalp and hair needs. The more you learn about protein/moisture balance and your strands...the better you will be able to gauge when you need to poo and with what you need to condition.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I used to co-wash when my hair was shorter, but not anymore.

I now shampoo and deep condition every 2 weeks. Works great for me.

realitychk

I am working on a new regimen as well. Right now my plan is to co-wash twice a week at night and put my hair in medium size twists afterwards letting it dry overnight and then taking them down in the morning for a twist out. Repeat that process every three days with a deep condition every weekend and shampooing every 2 weeks. I am hoping this new regimen will cut down on manipulation and tangles.

JustKiya

I cowash weekly, but I only cowash on 'loose' hair every other week, so my hair doesn't tangle much. But then, I also almost never wear my hair loose, so it doens't have much of a chance to tangle.

I don't use shampoo at all. I cowash, do the occasional clarification with conditioner + baking soda, but I'm considering stopping that alltogether, and just using ayurvedic herbs to clarify and freshen my scalp.

I DC every week, without fail. I usually use a moisturizing conditioner, but once every six weeks I'll use a VERY mild protien.

I hope that helps, some....