Natural ladies?

Country gal

And going natural doesn't mean I am trying to send out a message. I stated cleary what my reasons were above. So for me wearing natural hair should be a way I want to express myself. It doesn't mean I need to have in a fro all the time because I am "natural".

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
mkstar826 said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
So you can have swinging straight hair w/o a perm, and the heat doesn't have to do damage if done right! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if done "right" is the operative phrase here.

i still just don't get the point. if someone is going to press their hair once a week, why not just get a relaxer and call it a day. /images/graemlins/confused.gif i understand not wanting to use chemicals but CONSTANT heat is not that much better, IMO. Damage is damage, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people's hair just can't deal with relaxers at all. My mom's cousin wears her hair pressed and is mid back and very healthy. She's been pressed most of her life. But when she was younger, she decided to get it relaxed so that she could stop pressing it all of the time. All of her hair fell out! She vowed not to use a relaxer ever again and her hair grew back.

My mom is currently pressed and just recently told me that she doesn't think she's going to get a relaxer anymore. According to her, pressing is better for her hair.

When I was a child, I got my hair hard pressed every two weeks by my grandmother. My hair was long and swing-o-matic! When I was 9, my mom decided to have it relaxed. In a period of 2 months, my hair went from mid back to the middle of my neck!

It may sound strange but some people's hair actually does better with constant heat than with relaxers.

-Ebony

Ayeshia

My hair would do okay as long as it isnt a hard press and only a couple of times per year...Im just scared I'll loose my curl pattern like a few years ago so I'll stay way from it for now /images/graemlins/nono.gif

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
Okay.. I've wondered this for so long so I'm just gonna ask.. what the heck is pressed hair?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
Okay.. I've wondered this for so long so I'm just gonna ask.. what the heck is pressed hair?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I use "press" to mean flatironed or hot combed hair.

TigerLily

I think people should do whatever they want with their hair. If they want to wear a fro 2x the size of Angela Davis and they're happy, then so be it. If a person wants a perm or press they hair and they're happy then so be it.

In the end it's their hair. What anyone does with their hair isn't going to take away from me and it surely ain't no sweat off my butt. It's your hair and everyone should do what's best for THEIR hair.

No two heads of hair are alike.

Musiclova, I hope that you found some helpful info. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
sillygurl18 said:
I never understood what a nice grade of hair meant can anybody explain it to me, what makes one grade better than the other? Better yet what is a grade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever i hear the term "grade" in reference to hair it's when someone has it set in their mind what is a "passing grade" and what is a "failing grade" and 'good grade' is a passing grade to wear your hair however you wish whereas a bad grade -- aka = nappy is a failing grade ---->> Go to the beauty shop go directly to the beauty shop get a perm and you DO NOT collect your $200 /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. -- jainygirl

musiclova

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
And going natural doesn't mean I am trying to send out a message. I stated cleary what my reasons were above. So for me wearing natural hair should be a way I want to express myself. It doesn't mean I need to have in a fro all the time because I am "natural".

[/ QUOTE ]

SBaker you hit the nail on the head with that one. I don't understand why SOME people take the natural hair thing so seriously like everybody who is going natural or already there is doing so to prove something or you are not being yourself because you choose to wear a straight style as opposed to a fro /images/graemlins/confused.gif. Also everybody's natural texture is different some people's wave pattern is easier to straighten than others and does not require alot of heat and then there are some who have a tighter curl whereby it is harder for them to hold a straight style.

musiclova

Thanks ladies for your input once again . Tigerlily, I just read your reply I agree 100% and yes I did get helpful info. I am going to do what I want with my hair because I know what is best for me and what my hair can handle /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

jainygirl

Who are some people? And as far as people asking things, I thought she was asking a question that she wanted answered just like everyone else on this forum.

As far as the heat, i never read anyone saying anything about 'proving themselves'. All the posts i read seemed to be about concern for possible heat damaged hair and making sure the risks were known. They seemed to be pointing out that although it's not a relaxer that it only takes one time for the pressing comb to be too hot to cause serious breakage.

musiclova

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
Who are some people? And as far as people asking things, I thought she was asking a question that she wanted answered just like everyone else on this forum.

As far as the heat, i never read anyone saying anything about 'proving themselves'. All the posts i read seemed to be about concern for possible heat damaged hair and making sure the risks were known. They seemed to be pointing out that although it's not a relaxer that it only takes one time for the pressing comb to be too hot to cause serious breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOME people was not directed towards anybody on this board and I was not directing it towards you. SO why be defensive??? I was simply making a statement based on what I have experienced personally and Tigerlily's statement reminded me of people who I have encountered that feel that do feel that they have to prove themselves and act like other people should feel the same. I simply started this post to get people's opinion about whether natural hair still has movement after it has been pressed and I do understand that sometimes discussions start one way and end up on another topic. So I think I was misunderstood and I just wanted to clear that up.

Country gal

[ QUOTE ]
sillygurl18 said:
I was asking a question. Why so defensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not defensive but you asked a question that warranted a detailed response. Your questions were posted directly after my posts therefore I assumed the questions were directed at me. Am I incorrect in my reasoning?

Country gal

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
I think people should do whatever they want with their hair. If they want to wear a fro 2x the size of Angela Davis and they're happy, then so be it. If a person wants a perm or press they hair and they're happy then so be it.

In the end it's their hair. What anyone does with their hair isn't going to take away from me and it surely ain't no sweat off my butt. It's your hair and everyone should do what's best for THEIR hair.

No two heads of hair are alike.

Musiclova, I hope that you found some helpful info. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

co-signing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Country gal

Jainy- in reference to this thread someone said that another member wasn't ready for natural hair becasue she wanted it press. I haven't re read the thread but that stuck out earlier. I think what Tigerlilly and I are saying that going natural should be your choice and wearing straight natural hair doesn't mean you have some issue with your natural hair. For me I like the fact that I can wear my hair back into a wavy bun, or wear braid outs or press and iron it. Fro me I like to nip things in the bud some I am talking in this thread but also addressing some of the things I have read in the past too. This board from what I hear is not nearly as bad as some other natural hair websites that give you a hard time for pressing your hair.

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

SOME people was not directed towards anybody on this board and I was not directing it towards you. SO why be defensive??? I was simply making a statement based on what I have experienced personally and Tigerlily's statement reminded me of people who I have encountered that feel that do feel that they have to prove themselves and act like other people should feel the same. I simply started this post to get people's opinion about whether natural hair still has movement after it has been pressed and I do understand that sometimes discussions start one way and end up on another topic. So I think I was misunderstood and I just wanted to clear that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read what i typed CLEARLY -- since we are gonna be using caps-- i wanted to know what was so defensive in what Sillygurl had to ask. Not a personal attack on myself. Everyone else on this thread is getting their questions answered so why shouldnt she?? And by the way i didnt know that asking questions was now defined as being defensive.

ms_kenesha

I have no problem with anyone wanting to perm, press, texturize, fro it out, dred it up, etc.

BUT...

Everybody and they momma know, that when someone says they have a good grade or grain of hair they are talking about it in opposition to someone else's "bad" hair and for someone to not just say they have a good grade, but to add that because they have a good grade & they don't know why their mom permed it means, that they believe some people NEED perms *those with a "bad" grade* and some people don't NEED perms *people with a good grade/grain*!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out that it's just a rehashing of the good hair/bad hair syndrome!

sillygurl18

Yes sbaker, but you seemed rather harsh and it seemed to me that that you felt you had to explain yourself to people. If you are comfortable with what you are doing and you feel good about it, you shouldn't have to feel the need to explain yourself especially when nobody asked or even mentioned it. JMHO

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody and they momma know, that when someone says they have a good grade or grain of hair they are talking about it in opposition to someone else's "bad" hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Netta1

[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
I'm transitioning in case y'all do not know and I like how my hair swings and has alot of movement. I want the same movement and swing when my hair is all natural because I plan on wearing it straight most of the time. So I'm a little curious...Can natural hair have the same swing and bounce as relaxed hair even after you straighten it? Does it still have that blow in the wind effect and bounce?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OP just caught some of the natural heads off-guard with the above post for reasons that some people will never quite understand, therefore its not even worth explaining here /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif. But to keep it simple I think some people are saying to the OP that pressing isn't all that great for her hair and the OP is saying she knows whats good for her hair, which is fine /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif.

Anyway to answer the OP's question in the simplist form, I'm sure that pressed nappy hair has swingability-but don't expect it to move like just relaxed hair because that it is not. In fact the beautiful part about natural hair is its distinct difference from relaxed hair.

To my fellow nappies: Let us remember that not everyone that goes natural does so to rock the FRO. Some people go natural for the sole purposes of getting away from chemicals ONLY and continue to press. To each their own.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
I used to flat iron my hair when I first started my transition and it didn't do any damage, as long you use heat in moderation. I also don't think it's fair to say that someone might not be ready to go natural b/c they plan to constantly use heat b/c everyone's reasons for going natural are different. Some people still want straight hair w/o chemicals, and if that's the case, pressing might work just fine for them. My best friend grew out her perm and gets hers pressed at the salon every week, and she has one of the healthiest, most beautiful, swinging heads of hair I've ever seen! So you can have swinging straight hair w/o a perm, and the heat doesn't have to do damage if done right! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
sillygurl18 said:
Yes sbaker, but you seemed rather harsh and it seemed to me that that you felt you had to explain yourself to people. If you are comfortable with what you are doing and you feel good about it, you shouldn't have to feel the need to explain yourself especially when nobody asked or even mentioned it. JMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you ask a question about what is good grade and isn't all hair good grade? Sbaker wasn't trying to explain herself... she was just answering your questions; I didn't see any defensiveness in her responses. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

musiclova

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read what i typed CLEARLY -- since we are gonna be using caps-- i wanted to know what was so defensive in what Sillygurl had to ask. Not a personal attack on myself. Everyone else on this thread is getting their questions answered so why shouldnt she?? And by the way i didnt know that asking questions was now defined as being defensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down Jainygirl. Maybe I did misunderstand some parts of your statement but you did make references to my comment. Therefore I was trying to clear up what I believe you misunderstood from my statement. And just so you know my use of all caps was to specify the word "some" so that people would know I was making a general statement. Didn't think it would be blown out of portion. So I'm done with this thread. I'm satisfied since my question was answered.

Poohbear

I agree with sbaker as well when she said that people have different purposes for transitioning to natural. For one, I am transitioning mainly because I want to see what my hair would look like all natural, nothing more! I like having relaxed hair and would like to experience having natural hair. I'm sure most (not all) of the ladies on this forum that are natural are not trying to prove something with their natural hair; it's just a preference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMHO, all hair is a good grade of hair: whether relaxed, texturized, or natural. Before joining this forum, I thought "nappy" hair was bad but now I see the light. Now, when my mom says "your hair is nappy, you need a relaxer," I just brush that comment off and say "no, it's natural and that's how my hair grows in." Not just heat and relaxers can damage our hair...even hair products, hair tools, water, and AIR can damage our hair too. The only thing that matters is if we can manage to take good care of our hair and as Tigerlily said- have it the way we want it to be! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

sillygurl18

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the post I was referring to.

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down Jainygirl. Maybe I did misunderstand some parts of your statement but you did make references to my comment. Therefore I was trying to clear up what I believe you misunderstood from my statement. And just so you know my use of all caps was to specify the word "some" so that people would know I was making a general statement. Didn't think it would be blown out of portion. So I'm done with this thread. I'm satisfied since my question was answered.

[/ QUOTE ]

No harm no foul. I do the same thing with most of my posts for emphasis but chose not to use it here initially because i didnt want to seem confrontational.

I didnt read the whole thread before answering the post but after re-reading the thread the atmosphere did appear to be going toward-- what not to ask. It's a hair board so discussion will deviate at times as it does often on the forum. Glad that people were able to give you the answers you needed to make your decision.

Poohbear

musiclova... back to your question... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
musiclova said:
I'm transitioning in case y'all do not know and I like how my hair swings and has alot of movement. I want the same movement and swing when my hair is all natural because I plan on wearing it straight most of the time. So I'm a little curious...Can natural hair have the same swing and bounce as relaxed hair even after you straighten it? Does it still have that blow in the wind effect and bounce?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mention how longer natural haired ladies may have more of an advantage to having that swing or bounce, whether they use heat or not. Let's take Nay and Irresistible for example... I'm sure when they do those twist-outs that their hair is still movable with a "blow in the wind" effect. I too think too much heat would make your hair stiff and inflexible, even when you have a relaxer in your hair. So I "think" (does not mean "know") it depends on the length of your hair, b/c I would like to hear some responses from ladies with short to medium length natural hair to get their opinion too! Hope that helps. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
weaveadiva said:
you do know that constant heat can damage your hair as bad as or even worse than having a perm right? sounds like maybe u r not ready to go natural yet

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see where this comment came from either... musiclova didn't even mention using heat in her initial post.

btw, just because someone going natural plans on using heat, no matter what amount of heat, doesn't mean they're not ready to go natural. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I use "press" to mean flatironed or hot combed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOOOOOOOH.... flatironed..I get it..Thanks!!!