Natural Oils/Butters as Heat Protectant

VirtuousBeauty

Natural Oils as Heat Protectant

Anyone just use natural oils/butters as a heat protectant?

I google heat protectants for natural hair and found a hair forum where someone asked. Apparently you can use natural oils according to some...and not worry about frying your hair and without bothering with silicone. A lady mentioned her use of grapeseed oil because it has a high "smoke point". I looked it up and instead of forcing you ladies to click the link I posted the table that was on the wiki website. I also posted the link to the forum post so you could see the comments.

Any comments? I would love to hear what you experienced hair ladies have to say on the matter.

Small Definition:
The smoke point generally refers to the temperature at which a cooking fat or oil begins to break down to glycerol and free fatty acids, and produce bluish smoke. The glycerol is then further broken down to acrolein which is a component of the smoke. It is the presence of the acrolein that causes the smoke to be extremely irritating to the eyes and throat. The smoke point also marks the beginning of both flavor and nutritional degradation.

Hair Forum Link
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3c/88822-whats-best-heat-protectant.html

Wikipedia page on "Smoke Point"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

*UPDATE*
The numbers in this table may not be exact FYI. On the website I linked to as well as another website it listed grapeseed oil as having a smokepoint of 485F versus the one listed here is at 420. Either way this can be a great starting point for some.

Last edited:

Prudent1

Very interesting:scratchch... I have done this before several times. I've used Crisco. I've done it with both shea butter and avocado butter. I have also used EVO and hemp oils. I got good results. My hair does not really like heavy cones. So, prior to flat ironing my goal is to prep my hair as much as possible. For me that means clean hair, DC, lv-in, and sealed (with oil, butter, or Crisco) then air dried or blow dried followed by flat iron. Now if I use a protectant (spray or otherwise) I mix it in equal amounts with the oil, butter, or Crisco I only use the protectant product if rain is in the forecast.
HTH

growinghealthyhair

There was a thread started a few days ago! I have started using grapeseed oil which has a high smoke point. It doesn't leave the smell other heat Protestants do! I'm gonma start mixing with avocado oil as well.

Nonie

@VirtuousBeauty, I've heard that before but I don't buy it. In another discussion, I asked what smoke point has to do with insulating hair from heat damage. Silicone seals hair in so that the heat isn't directly on the hair. Also silicone's thermal conductivity is low which means the heat from the flat iron isn't directly transmitted to the hair so some protection is offered.

Just because an oil doesn't start smoking until it reaches a very high temperature doesn't mean that high temperature isn't being passed on to the hair which may be cooked before the oil reaches its burning point. I mean, you can drop a piece of meat in hot oil that isn't smoking and see the meat get cooked because the oil's smoking point is high. So again, how does high smoke point mean hair won't get cooked?

VirtuousBeauty

Hmmmmm good point lol. I saw the post and got excited since I already use oils for my face and hair and thought it could just save me the extra purchaes if something I already use and like could serve another purpose.

I'm still looking around on the internet and I see that this has been a debatable issue for a lot of people. I was just reading an archived forum post where someone stated the pros of it and then tried to refute a con post that was quoted from LHCF.

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/archive/index.php/t-7383.html

@VirtuousBeauty, I've heard that before but I don't buy it. In another discussion, I asked what smoke point has to do with insulating hair from heat damage. Silicone seals hair in so that the heat isn't directly on the hair. Also silicone's thermal conductivity is low which means the heat from the flat iron isn't directly transmitted to the hair so some protection is offered.

Just because an oil doesn't start smoking until it reaches a very high temperature doesn't mean that high temperature isn't being passed on to the hair which may be cooked before the oil reaches its burning point. I mean, you can drop a piece of meat in hot oil that isn't smoking and see the meat get cooked because the oil's smoking point is high. So again, how does high smoke point mean hair won't get cooked?

Nonie

Hmmmmm good point lol. I saw the post and got excited since I already use oils for my face and hair and thought it could just save me the extra purchaes if something I already use and like could serve another purpose.

I'm still looking around on the internet and I see that this has been a debatable issue for a lot of people. I was just reading an archived forum post where someone stated the pros of it and then tried to refute a con post that was quoted from LHCF.

http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/archive/index.php/t-7383.html

The point being refuted here is about oil breaking down...even the poster says she's confused too and reiterates that she'd always use protectants. She does state the point about slow conductivity of silicone which IMO is better than having some fast conduction that could fry my hair in a minute. I don't pass my flat iron more than twice over my hair and I use a silicone protectant, so I don't know what she means you have to make many passes. And yes, I do use high heat 447 degrees F, but I also don't burn my hair and don't smell it. I'd rather a product I know is controlling the speed at which heat gets to my hair than one that is just ushering it in at a rate that could cause me damage. I also doubt my hair can have the "no burn smell" with oils that I get with silicone protectants.

sweetlaughter

I don't have a burnt smell with heat protectant. My hair just smells like whatever product I used. Even if oil does work, I am hesitant to use it because I might be wrong and oil is too heavy for my hair prior to flatironing. I used to use oil when I was relaxed and my hair was poker straight but it also didn't move. lol

GoodMernin

Well, the last time that I used shea butter to flat iron my hair, I dang near fried my hair straight off of my head.

I stick to what I already know...Chi heat protectant serum.

It ain't broke yet so I ain't fixing it. :)

Majestye

I don't have that Burn smell. I do have it with protectant though. Which sucks.

I get that smell when I use the IC heat protectant, but with less smoke. I used ORS Olive Oil heat protectant and noticed less odor (tolerable even) but with a lot more smoke. When I flat iron, which is only a few times a year I will use the ORS, it just seems like I'm not damaging my hair as much with less odor.

I will try the grapeseed oil, as I already have some, and maybe the avocado oil to see what happens, I don't see how any oil won't cook the hair. Maybe mixing it with the HP will be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Majestye

Update: I've used grapeseed oil along with the ORS heat protectant twice. Most recently last week when I did my starting year touch up and length check. I must say....awesome results. No burn smell and the hair is soooosoft and beyond straight. Best flat iron I've ever done/had. Even beats salon styling. Its a new staple for me. My mom even used some when she saw me doing it. She said her press was better on the hair she used it on (shes a natural with 3c curl and soft fine hair. She just presses with a hot comb) .

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom