Natural or Relaxed hair.. Which Retains More??

Quita3514

Im currently Relaxed right now and the more and more I look through these pics of hair care journeys It seems as tho Natural hair grows quicker Its been 3 months since I cut my hair and it feels like my hairs at a standstill right now. Im debating on stretching my relaxers for another 6 months just to see if I will retain more length. PERSONALLY i think the lack of chemical in Natural hair makes it grow faster or retain more length..curious to know what u guys think?

EllePixie

No, it's not the lack of chemical that makes natural hair retain more length. It's that relaxed hair has been weakened more by chemicals (which can also be the case for a natural coloring their hair or using heat often), and is more prone to breakage unless properly cared for. I don't think one grows better than the other, it just depends on how well you care for your hair.

LongLeggedLife

Idk what my opinion is on this, but I will say my hair was at a lifetime SL or shorter standstill until I went natural. I have always taken care of my hair, but it just stayed at a certain length back then, I really dont know why.

bebezazueta

No, it's not the lack of chemical that makes natural hair retain more length. It's that relaxed hair has been weakened more by chemicals (which can also be the case for a natural coloring their hair or using heat often), and is more prone to breakage unless properly cared for. I don't think one grows better than the other, it just depends on how well you care for your hair.

I agree. I'm relaxed and take really good care of my hair. Moisture/Protein balance. pH balanced (neutralize strands). Moisturize and seal. Minimal to No direct heat. Rollersets and buns. S curl on my buns. Henna monthly. Overnite DC. Sulfate free shampoo. JBCO/sulfur scalp massages.

So there you go, I spend hours on my hair and I stretch relaxers. It's alot of hard work, time and dedication to maintain healthy hair whether relaxed or natural.

Roux

I hear so many mixed things about this. my hair was never longer than just above SL before I found the hair boards. then I started learning to take care of my hair and I grew my broken off damaged relaxed hair to well, now BSL. I have been transitioning for 11 months now. I hear that some naturals BC and then experience a LOT of breakage or other issues.

long story short...depends on the person and their hair really.

Renewed1

I think it depends on the individual. When I was relaxed and I took care of my hair, I couldn't get it past SL, plus my hair was thinning. I think my hair has had enough with relaxers (I was relaxed since I was 14).

I will be 2 years natural come 3/2011 and my hair is alot thicker and grew past SL. Overall, I love the health of my hair, so being natural was better for me.

So it depends on the person. But like another person said there is work involved in taking of your hair.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I personally think that on average, natural hair tends to retain more length than relaxed hair.

blessedandlucky

Another vote for it depends on the person. Some people who are relaxed have no idea how to take care of it, just as some naturals have no idea. It's a learning journey for relaxed and naturals alike...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF