Natural... Probems with ends

chocolatejalapeno

Hey,

I have been natural for awhile ( about 2 yrs )and my hair is thick and is growing. The problem is when ever I want to flat iron my 4a/b hair the ends
look horrible. Has any one that has natural hair had this problem?

I have cut my ends and still have no success. I do not think that I am damaging my hair because do wash and go's 98 percent of the time. I wash my hair and condition. I air dry and begin to flat iron and ends are not smooth. What can i do? The ends look so frizzy!!

SSBD

I've been having the same problem i made a thread about it and we are still trying to figure out a cure...

glamazon386

My ends are like this too. To be honest, I think it's all in the technique bc my hairdresser can get them straight. Fresh trim or not. I haven't figured out how to do it myself either. :ohwell: They look fine as long as they're curled but if I try to comb it straight they look frizzy.

jwhitley6

It's because flat irons suck for straightening the ends. I use a pressing comb and I do not have this problem...I've noticed it when I've had my hair professionally flat ironed, though. Maybe you should try running a warm (doesn't need to be too hot) pressing comb through your ends after flat ironing the shaft. HTH.

Nefertiti0906

It's because flat irons suck for straightening the ends. I use a pressing comb and I do not have this problem...I've noticed it when I've had my hair professionally flat ironed, though. Maybe you should try running a warm (doesn't need to be too hot) pressing comb through your ends after flat ironing the shaft. HTH.

I agree. This is why I love the teeth feature on my Maxiglide, it gets my ends nice and straight :)

remnant

Courtesy of balisi:grin:
Use a fine tooth comb to follow the flatiron on the first pass, then use the comb to the section of hair just before you run the iron over it. That will help to get the ends smooth.
Your hair should be very well detangled

glamazon386

Use a fine tooth comb to follow the flatiron on the first pass, then use the comb to the section of hair just before you run the iron over it. That will help to get the ends smooth.

I'm gonna try this.

dicapr

I ususally detangle my ends with a blowdryer with a comb attatchment on medium heat before flat iron for this reason. Without getting most of the curl out of the ends, my flat iron job leaves me with fuzzy, unstraightened ends. The blow dry on medium heat also allows me to turn the temperature down when I flat iron aferwards.

remnant

I ususally detangle my ends with a blowdryer with a comb attatchment on medium heat before flat iron for this reason. Without getting most of the curl out of the ends, my flat iron job leaves me with fuzzy, unstraightened ends. The blow dry on medium heat also allows me to turn the temperature down when I flat iron aferwards.

IMHO the purpose of the comb attachement is not to detangle but to straighten your hair
Your hair have to be really well detangled before using this blowdryer (your hair should be 80% dry prior the use of the blow drier):yep:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I never flat iron my ends. If I cannot wrap my hair immediately after flat ironing, I just use a large barrel iron to get the ends smooth.

clever

YES!I use this for my ends and I can def. see a difference.This technique or the maxiglide(with the teeth and steam)work well for getting my natural ends straight:yep:

dicapr

IMHO the purpose of the comb attachement is not to detangle but to straighten your hair
Your hair have to be really well detangled before using this blowdryer (your hair should be 80% dry prior the use of the blow drier):yep:

I usually dry mostly in twists, detangle with a comb, and then blow dry. My 4a sections of my hair coil so quickly that heat is the only thing that keeps them detangled. My hair only gets blown out when I blow dry using the comb on med heat. Thanks.

domniqqt

For straight ends, my hair dresser uses a small tooth comb to go through the ends as she is flat ironing. I hope this is understandable. Like the flkat iron is on top and as she is flat ironing the comb is below it straightening the hair as she flat irons it. lol that is the best way I can explain it.

dlove

I wish someone would post either a brief video explaining the flat iron then small teeth comb method or several still pictures of somebody actually doing this themselves. (hint, hint anybody?)

I would like to stay out of a beauticians chair for once in my life.

mkstar826

supersonic
i'm going to try the fine tooth comb next time. last time my length looked awesome but the ends were jacked up...

chocolatejalapeno

i got my hot comb from sallys that is made by silk elements.. It is electric and is called Hot and Silky. I got 5.00 off so I can't complain. I am going to try to straingten my hair tomorrow to see how it comes out.

Crossing my fingers that it works.

youwillrise

i keep hearing about this fine tooth comb thing.
i think i'm going to try that method for when i straighten in march.

i'm trying to do all my planning now lol

yellagirl730

Hey,

I have been natural for awhile ( about 2 yrs )and my hair is thick and is growing. The problem is when ever I want to flat iron my 4a/b hair the ends
look horrible. Has any one that has natural hair had this problem?

I have cut my ends and still have no success. I do not think that I am damaging my hair because do wash and go's 98 percent of the time. I wash my hair and condition. I air dry and begin to flat iron and ends are not smooth. What can i do? The ends look so frizzy!!

I had the same problem, I've been natural since 07/05. When I flatironed in the past I had crunchy ends but since I've been using the Maxiglide no more crunchy frizzy ends.

angellazette

I was able to get smooth ends with Aveda products and Chi Silk Infusion. It's just that when I put a comb through it, it'll frizz out. I'm going to try the comb technique.

silvergirl

i use a comb/ or plastic brush to glide through my hair followed directly by the flatiron, it always helps to get the hair and ends perfectly straight.

starfish79

YUP!! :yep: This works very well...it's the only way I can get my ends straight without frying them!