Natural vs Relaxed Hair-How much stronger?

Natural or Relaxed; Which is stronger?

• Natural

Votes: 94 72.9%
  • Relaxed

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • same strength

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • neither, cant decided, not applicable

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • dont know

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sweetgal

Hello Ladies,

I'm currently transitioning and it's been 3 months. During my transition I noticed that my natural hair is much thicker than my relaxed hair. My natural hair also seems much drier than my relaxed hair, which seems a little strange since most of the info I research states that chemically treated hair is drier than natural hair.

The info also states that natural hair is stronger than chemically treated hair.How much stronger do you think natural hair is than relaxed hair?

I think that natural hair is at least 2x to 3x stronger. I know this could vary termendously depending on the individual, their hair strand, genetics, enviornment.

I'm aware of the ph scale and how the hair is tranformed during the chemical process, however I know the strand goes back to it original ph
(I think). So this does not really give me an overall number once this transformation is complete

What do you ladies think? Eveyone whether natural or relaxed is free to chime in :grin:

Last edited:

ThickHair

It all depends on the health of your hair, relaxed or natural. It isn't so cut and dry as "research" stated. Can you please post your sources? You really shouldn't mention "research" unless you are going to post it. That will help us see the whole picture.

Last edited:

sweetgal

It all depends on the health of your hair, relaxed or natural. It isn't so cut and dry as "research" stated. Can you please post your sources? You really shouldn't mention "research" unless you are going to post it. That will help us see the whole picture.

Most of the research I did was done over the websites and a few books I read. No academic research was done :blush:

I know it dependes on many factors and I did acknoledge that in the orginal post. I'm not looking for a scientific number. It is more of personal opinion, experience or even research others may have done.

For example, someone can state that in their experience their hair seems 2x stronger once the went natural etc.

Trust me- I dont want it to be that kind of thread where people are arguing back and forth over nonsense.

Thanks in advance ladies.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

Natural hair tends to be drier because the scalp oils cannot easily travel down the length of the hair. Imagine walking down a spiral staircase as opposed to sliding down a slide - the slide is easier and faster.

Your new growth will be drier because it's only been 3 months, so you likely don't have much new growth. It's harder to reach that new growth, shrunken hair with moisture. Your new growth may also like different products than your relaxed hair.

Both can be healthy and thrive, it depends on the individual and how they care for their hair. Natural hair does not automatically mean healthy and stronger.

Roux

I think it's subjective. I can't compare coarse to fine in terms of strength based on a person being natural or relaxed. I know that my natural hair is much thicker than my relaxed hair but that's sorta duh for me because the hair is in it's natural state. I think my relaxed hair was very strong and so is my natural hair.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
From my own experience, my natural hair is 10.3 billion times stronger and healthier than my relaxed hair. I don't know if you all saw the thread where the girl had broken pieces all over her sink and everywhere else in the OP, well that was my hair too when I was relaxed. It was internally dry from the chemical abuse.

My natural hair makes me believe that it is dry, because of the "feel" of my hair, but in actuality, it is quite moisturized. It took me a while to figure out that distinction. Also, my natural hair does not break. I don't think you heard me, my hair hair does not break. My hair did a 180 when I decided to go natural. So yes, in my case, my natural hair is stronger. My hair does not do well with chemicals.

sweetgal

Natural hair tends to be drier because the scalp oils cannot easily travel down the length of the hair. Imagine walking down a spiral staircase as opposed to sliding down a slide - the slide is easier and faster.

Yes, this makes sense.

Your new growth will be drier because it's only been 3 months, so you likely don't have much new growth. It's harder to reach that new growth, shrunken hair with moisture. Your new growth may also like different products than your relaxed hair.

Yes, your right I only have about 1.5 inches of natural hair. I have been natural about 10 years ago.

Both can be healthy and thrive, it depends on the individual and how they care for their hair. Natural hair does not automatically mean healthy and stronger.

My hair has never really thrived while being relaxed. I had almost armpit lenght thin and see through ends though. Yes I have seen many gorgeous relaxed heads on here!

sweetgal

I think it's subjective. I can't compare coarse to fine in terms of strength based on a person being natural or relaxed. I know that my natural hair is much thicker than my relaxed hair but that's sorta duh for me because the hair is in it's natural state. I think my relaxed hair was very strong and so is my natural hair.

I can respect that! Do you think they are both equally strong but in different ways?

BlackMasterPiece

I think your natural hair is drier because you haven't found your staple products for your natural hair as of yet or acclimated yourself to the new approach you'll need to moisturize properly.

Speaking for myself, my natural hair is easily 3-4X stronger then my relaxed and clearly thicker for obvious reasons. It is very resilient and can take quite a bit of abuse and still retain length.

The bottom line for you will be to do the research, look for reggies of ladies with your same hair stats and keep up your moisture.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
“One of the most common misconceptions about hair is that it is alive, when in fact hair is nonliving and does not heal itself once it is injured,” said Dr. Draelos. “For this reason, once the hair is damaged it cannot heal itself except through new hair growth at the scalp. Women need to understand that the very things that they do to hair to make it appear beautiful, such as using hair dyes, perms and products that straighten the hair, will eventually end up damaging the hair’s structure and ultimately affect its appearance.”

Getting to the root of chemical hair damage
When hair is damaged, the protective lipid layer of fat on the outside of the cuticle – responsible for making the hair shiny – is removed. Chemical damage is one of the most common culprits of hair damage, as processed hair loses its natural moisturizers. The result is dried-out, frizzy hair that does not hold its style and accounts for the hair’s dull appearance.

“Many products have been developed to counter the effects of over-processed hair, and regular moisturizing is a must for women with visible signs of hair damage,” said Dr. Draelos.

This info comes from a dermatologist and from a credible website: http://www.aad.org/stories-and-news...s-hair-care-tips-for-healthy-and-damaged-hair

Aviah

I think mine may have been the same in terms of strength. I do have more splits now, but that may be down to more manipulation to wash weekly/comb my hair daily than when it was relaxed. My relaxed hair was subject to more heat and lack of proper moisture/protein but the ends would just get crispy hard, but I don't think they split.

prettyinpurple

I don't understand. Do you mean chemically treated vs virgin hair? Or a specific chemical treatment (relaxer) vs natural hair?

Natural hair can be chemically treated (think of people dyeing their hair).

I would say that any chemically treated hair is probably weaker than virgin hair. That's just a starting point though. It all comes down to how well you take care of your hair.

As far as moisture or dryness, it is much easier to retain moisture in straighter hair IME. The tighter the curls, the harder it is to retain moisture in your hair.

sweetgal

I don't understand. Do you mean chemically treated vs virgin hair? Or a specific chemical treatment (relaxer) vs natural hair?

Natural hair can be chemically treated (think of people dyeing their hair).

I would say that any chemically treated hair is probably weaker than virgin hair. That's just a starting point though. It all comes down to how well you take care of your hair.

As far as moisture or dryness, it is much easier to retain moisture in straighter hair IME. The tighter the curls, the harder it is to retain moisture in your hair.

Thanks for the response.

Virgin hair vs relaxed hair and or chemically treated hair. However, I'm more intrested in virgin vs relaxed because I have never dyed my hair accept for 'henna. Henna did not agree with my hair. It made it very dry. I was also texlaxed at the time.

sweetgal

From my own experience, my natural hair is 10.3 billion times stronger and healthier than my relaxed hair. I don't know if you all saw the thread where the girl had broken pieces all over her sink and everywhere else in the OP, well that was my hair too when I was relaxed. It was internally dry from the chemical abuse.

My natural hair makes me believe that it is dry, because of the "feel" of my hair, but in actuality, it is quite moisturized. It took me a while to figure out that distinction. Also, my natural hair does not break. I don't think you heard me, my hair hair does not break. My hair did a 180 when I decided to go natural. So yes, in my case, my natural hair is stronger. My hair does not do well with chemicals.

I think this is going to be my experience too! I was natural several years ago, but I did not know how to take care of it.

This is something I never considered, however makes so much sense. I never thought that the hair could feel dry because of texture, however in reality maynot be. Very good observation.

Love your hair by the way!!!

sweetgal

I think your natural hair is drier because you haven't found your staple products for your natural hair as of yet or acclimated yourself to the new approach you'll need to moisturize properly.

Speaking for myself, my natural hair is easily 3-4X stronger then my relaxed and clearly thicker for obvious reasons. It is very resilient and can take quite a bit of abuse and still retain length.

The bottom line for you will be to do the research, look for reggies of ladies with your same hair stats and keep up your moisture.

Thank-you!!! Your hair is beautiful as well and quite long.

Yes I will be moisturizing my hair more often. I appreciate your reponse.

bride91501

I think this is going to be my experience too! I was natural several years ago, but I did not know how to take care of it.

This is something I never considered, however makes so much sense. I never thought that the hair could feel dry because of texture, however in reality maynot be. Very good observation.

Love your hair by the way!!!
To further elaborate ms-gg 's point, with my hair that feeling can best be described as "wiry". It took me the first half of this past winter (my first as a natural) to get the distinction. Parts of my hair *feel* wiry and coarse, but in actuality my hair is very moisturized. I have to actually now be cautious of overmoisturizing lol.

But to answer your question, I think this is a very individual determination. For me- hands down my natural hair is SO much stronger than I ever thought my hair could be. I retain length without even thinking about it now (knock on wood!), and that NEVER happened when I was relaxed. I consider this to be a true test of my natural hair's strength.

MariposaSexyGirl

I'm relaxed and my relaxed hair is pretty strong. But I know from my very long stretches that my natural hair is a bit stronger. I credit my relaxed hair being strong from not relaxing bone straight. I still have texture to my hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Both have their strengths and weaknesses. My natural hair does not hold moisture very well, but my relaxed hair does. My relaxed hair needed less heat to straiten, whereas my natural hair laughs at all attempts to straiten. Both grow, but I retain more growth relaxed because I can moisturize better and style it better. I can't say my natural hair does not retain length. It just takes more time and effort to see it with my natural hair. My natural hair is just chemical free. That seems to be the only positive.:look: My relaxed hair just would not relax bone strait. I needed heat to straiten it, which led me to think I could attain a strait look with natural hair. So far, all my attempts have failed. I think my hair is too short for that anyway.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
natural hair will always be stronger than relaxed hair imo. it doesnt mean the natural hair cannot break or one will be more prone to breakage over the other. it depends on your hair.

manter26

My relaxed hair was mushy, I guess I had moisture overload and didn't realize it. I thought when I went natural the breakage would stop.

Alas, that is not the case. I still have little hairs all over when I detangle. I haven't figured out how to stop it. My natural hair is A LOT stronger than my relaxed, but still not strong. I have almost see through, fine strands and that won't change.

AMAKA127

on a physiological basis natural hair has its protein content which essentially is the strength of the hair ... relaxers actually break the disulfide bonds with in the hairs protein content which "loosens" the curl and ultimately weakening the hair to a straight permanent state

appplecidder

I just wanted to say I love you,your hair,and blog. I was wondering do you have a youtube page not to sound stalkerish...

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

KurlyNinja

I can only go by my hair, but I know for a fact that my natural hair is stronger than my relaxed hair. If I raked my fingers through my straight relaxed hair there would be little pieces all over the place. And that was just from using my fingers! When I was still transitioning I could run my hair down a strand of hair and feel where my relaxed hair started because it seemed like the strand actually started to become thinner.

sweetgal

ONLY 10.3 billion uh? :lachen:Your a funny lady:)