Natural Women: What period of time was the most challenging in your transition?

What period of time was the most challenging in your transtion?

• Total voters

Nerd.

I have had the opportunity to speak with many of you and also hear stories of your transition to natural hair. I am starting to wonder if here is a significant trend amongst many of you when your transition begins to get "challenging". I say "challenging" vs. "hard" because everyone's situation is different and there are different factors that need to be put into consideration.

I know you ladies who have opted to BC deal with an immense amount emotional challenges, but im am more curious to know about the long term transitioners and your physical hurdles.

What made it so challenging around that time period? Was it the abundance of new growth, lack of ideas, the combat between the two textures, or your social life that made it challenging?

Also, if you could redo those challenging times, what would you do differently?

Thank you all in advance.

*ETA: For those of you have chosen "the entire journey was simple" please DO share!

Last edited:

Miss AJ

The first time I transitioned I had no troubles, but this time around I hated transitioning the whole time because I couldn't stand how I looked and making my hair look presentable was a struggle. Before it was no problem to call my neighbor and have her braid my hair but I'm far away from home and a real city so I had no way of getting my hair done. If I had someone to do braids for me I probably wouldn't have chopped as soon as I did. If I could re-do this transition I would have taken the time to really learn how to do my own hair instead of relying on others all the time.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I transitioned for 2 years ('05-'07) My overall transition wasn't exactly challenging, the only time it was somewhat difficult was during the 6th and 7th month and the issue was scab hair (yes it does exist). Once it completely grew out which took a good two months or so (it wasn't much), things went back to normal and the rest of my transition went by pretty smoothly.

Nerd.

Beautifully stated Miss AJ.

Even this early on into my transition/stretch, I can relate to what you said about how trying to look presentable is a struggle. Lately I find myself getting so frustrated with the fact that I have to look good for people. So I have been training my mind to just focus on doing what my hair wants! Even if that means looking a little...

:look:

Thank you for your input.

ryanshope

The most challenging part was the first 1-3 months---I don't like short hair. I didn't mind it, I have never found myself hideious with a TWA..lol..but that was wigging time er'day---I would twist, cover up and put on a wig...I did that from Mar-June. Then I started wearing my fro out more frequently during the summer. Now, nine months later, I have a full afro puff, my twists aren't as short and I LOVE to wear my fro out...so I am glad that I am over the hump and will enjoy it at this length for a while---everyday I found new things I can do(finally know how to cornrow) and my texture is amazing. I know some ladies get frustrated because of the detangling process or the styling options being limited..but it takes patience and perservance to reach your goals.

Hopefully next year around this time I can say my hair is SL when stretch..it is base of my neck now :)

danigurl18

For me, the entire time before my BC was a challenge.. So many people came against me and told me to relax or do something with my hair since my roots needed a touch up..Also the 2 textures was a real struggle

Nerd.

The most challenging part was the first 1-3 months---I don't like short hair. I didn't mind it, I have never found myself hideious with a TWA..lol..but that was wigging time er'day---I would twist, cover up and put on a wig...I did that from Mar-June. Then I started wearing my fro out more frequently during the summer. Now, nine months later, I have a full afro puff, my twists aren't as short and I LOVE to wear my fro out...so I am glad that I am over the hump and will enjoy it at this length for a while---everyday I found new things I can do(finally know how to cornrow) and my texture is amazing. I know some ladies get frustrated because of the detangling process or the styling options being limited..but it takes patience and perservance to reach your goals.
Hopefully next year around this time I can say my hair is SL when stretch..it is base of my neck now :)

Thank you for the encouraging words. Your fro looks lovely on your face :yep:

RubyWoo

The most challenging was at 6 months and it was due to having to deal with 2 textures. I was weaved up my entire transition so I didn't have to deal my hair too much. The only time I had deal with my hair was between installs.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
my bad not natural yet. that's what I get for doing 3 things at once. OOPs

Last edited:

Lyoness

For me it was month 12/13 I was really curious about what my hair would look like without the relaxed ends weighing down my hair.. at the same time I didn't have the courage to chop.. it was a trying time

NikStarrr

I voted months 4-6th. I transitioned for 12 months--but it was those months that seemed the hardest. It was like it was too much newgrowth for me to deal with it like I still had relaxed/texlaxed hair, but it wasn't enough natural hair for me to manage it like I was natural. It seems like once I'd hit 6+ months, I was coasting. I'd only BC'd at 12 months because I was eager to be fully natural, not because of any problems with my transition.

countrychickd

My entire transition was pretty easy...I wouldn't say it was a challenge. I BCed more or less just because I couldn't wait to be fully natural! I was anxious to just be fully natural, so at my 7th month mark, I did it...BCed! HTH!

Soliel185

I voted months 4-6th. I transitioned for 12 months--but it was those months that seemed the hardest. It was like it was too much newgrowth for me to deal with it like I still had relaxed/texlaxed hair, but it wasn't enough natural hair for me to manage it like I was natural. It seems like once I'd hit 6+ months, I was coasting. I'd only BC'd at 12 months because I was eager to be fully natural, not because of any problems with my transition.

I agree, except that my hard period was months 6-9....after month 6 the whole front of my bun was natural, so that's when it got the point where I had an equal amount of natural/relaxed hair and they kind of fought for dominance until month 9 where it was cake from then onward.

Actually, the first time I tried to transition, I gave in and relaxed at midway between months 7 & 8. The second time, I knew what to expect, so I was able to tough it out by hiding my hair in braids/weaves.

Nerd.

NikStar Thank you for your input.
Was your goal to retain your length during your long transition? I ask this because a majority of people I have spoken with who opt for a longer transition, do little chops along the way vs. bc'ing at the very end.

i will be 10 months post in dec and it hasn't been challenging yet.

Vainjane, glad to hear your transition is going well so far. I will be 3 months post in 3 days, so please share a couple things that helped you these past 10 months.

bkprincesa

I have only been transitioning for about five months now. I haven't had much trouble, other than being horrified by how much hair was coming out in my comb at first when I detangled after washing...But then I switched to a wider-toothed "shower" comb and it made things all better.

Sometimes it's hard to deal with the dryness but I feel like maybe I'm just being spoiled and I'm expecting that feeling I get right after a co-wash. My hair doesn't feel like sandpaper or anything so I guess it's not that bad then.

I went maybe two months without using any kind of heat whatsoever up until last month when I wanted to straighten for my 21st birthday. Since then I've been trying to flat iron once a week or every other week. At first, I was able to get at least 2 days of nice, straight hair, but the new growth reverts literally the SECOND I start to sweat or a drop of rain touches it. So I'm thinking I just might give up straightening frequently since I ended up wetting it and putting it back into a bun anyway.

Oops I'm babbling. My bad. Lol.

BostonMaria

The first 6 months were the most challenging for me. I had no idea what to do with my hair and I didn't own a flatiron. I stayed away from heat about 80% of the time and I had to become a DIY'er, that was very hard. Months 6 thru 10 weren't exactly perfect but I was at least getting the hang of it.

Bun Mistress

4 thur were hard b/c I had no curl pattern the was impossible and I couldn't roller set anymore b/c it just looked horrid (which is werid b/c now I rollerset to straigthen). After this period I learned to work with the textures and I could see a curl and I knew how to detangle.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Months 6-7 were the worst for me
I put braids in when I got super frustrated
My problem was getting my hair to look "presentable"

Miamori

Thanks to all the women who've responded thus far. I'm on my longest stretch as of yet (over 16 weeks now), and I'm thinking.

Prose Princess

This describes exactly what I'm going through right now! I'm at 24.5 weeks and the two textures are driving me absolutely crazy. Plus I don't have a great deal of relaxed hair because I had a "setback" a couple months back--I put that word in quotes because I just lost a bunch of my relaxed ends, but it's not like they're important to me anymore. But right now it seems like the only thing I can do is braid my hair with weave, nothing else will look right. I can't even do regular braid-outs anymore. And the shedding :nono: I wanted to transition for a year at least but I don't know if I'm going to make it :ohwell:

MummysGirl

I'm almost 11 months post :)yay:) and I've not had a challenging period... yet :)pray:). I did have one day when I washed my hair and it just wasn't cooperating with me very early in my transition but that lasted until my next wash.

For me, the key thing has been finding styles that worked for me (and of course moisturising, cowashing and DC'ing) ... I've been lucky, I'm very aware of that, especially because I don't use extensions, weaves, braids, etc so I don't have the option of hiding my hair with a wig, the only way I choose to hide/get a break from my hair is doing my middle siggy style (Braids with my hair only).

Ebony Majesty

i transitioned for 18 months. When I got to the 6 month mark, I found that the most difficult. I remember trying to do a flexi rod set and it went alllll wrong! I found it hard to manage the two textures and at that point I wanted to relax. However Cream Of Nature shampoo was a god send! I really do not know how I would have got through my transition without it. I use it up to this day!

CandiedLipgloss

My transition only lasted about 5 mths. I couldn't take dealing with the two textures. I would go and have my hair blown out weekly, but on the weeks I didn't go, my hair was horrid. :nono:
I wasn't a member of any board and didn't have the techniques down to make it more manageable. All I knew was that I wanted natural healthy hair like my friends.
So I threw a wig on on top of a birds nest. That lasted from Mar-June. But May and june were the worst. One day I called my gf who was already 3 yrs natural for support, and told her to come with me to the barber for my BC. It was a relief cutting the ends off. I was about 3 mths pregnant with no hair, and I felt ugly! But I found ways to make it work, and by the time I gave birth, i had a big ole puff. :drunk:

I didn't have much support from my family who was relaxed, and kept telling me to put a perm on my hair. but I had a hair goal, and stuck with it.

Ltown

Greyland
The most challenging time period for me was months 6-9 because I had more new growth. I did not know what style I wanted to try, flat ironing was something I did not want to do because of heat damage, so I just use braids/ponys. I'm at 58 weeks and have been niping my relax ends off gradually. I want enough hair to ear a pony I'm at CL now and have about 2" of relax hair left.

NikStarrr

NikStar Thank you for your input.
Was your goal to retain your length during your long transition? I ask this because a majority of people I have spoken with who opt for a longer transition, do little chops along the way vs. bc'ing at the very end.

I did 2-3 mini-chops. Every few months, I'd chop my hair into a cute little bob. I call the last one the BC since it was the last one and I was completely natural. My fotki shows my whole transition, including all the mini-chops.

Sequoia

I voted for 4-6mths and 8-10. Those months were soooo frustrating- my hair seemed to be growing in slowly, the NG was hard and dry, washing and styling was a nightmare for me.

So I decided to stop fretting about growth rate, continue the transition with braids, started washing my hair in sections (a real life saver)and found the best DC for my new growth (coconut cream+olive oil+honey+ any cheapie con to thicken). It's been much better since then.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I attempted to transition to natural hair, my most challenging time period was around the 6th/7th month. I feel like the challenge was trying to blend my natural new growth with my relaxed ends. Eventually, my relaxed ends started breaking off at the demarcation line in different sections so before the 8th month, I did the Big Chop. If I were to redo these challenging times before I did the Big Chop, I would have avoided excessive combing and manipulation, but I'm glad I just went on and did the Big Chop which was a relieving experience.

dynamic1

I never did a big chop and grew out my relaxer for approx 3+ years. I trimmed along the way and did two cuts. My transiotion had it's ups and downs. The most difficult was during month 9 and right before the big trims/cuts at approx. year 2 and 3. Deep conditioning with heat, buns, and keeping my hair moisturized helped a bunch.

I believe the weight of the relaxed ends helped me retain my natural new growth to waist. Once they were gone the shrinkage was a challenge it seems like I woke up one day with a big mass of hair, divergently different textures and varying degrees of shrinkage. I maintained for a while but finally got a cut suitable for my natural hair and I haven't straightened since. But I am not retaining at the same degree as my natural new growth during the transition. My long transition allowed me to bypass the single strand knot & tangling from shrinkage woes. I have to do more stretched styles if I want to grow my hair out again.

ETA: Also changing the way I styled my hair helped during challenging times in addition to trimming/cutting. I did flat twistouts and rod sets. I straightened infrequently.

Last edited:

mscocoface

Year 3 and 4 for me. I had the slowest growth during those 2 years. It seems to be changing now that I am coming up on my offical 5 years of natural healthy hair care journey.