NATURALS AND LUSTRASILK??

gabulldawg

Do any naturals on this board use lustrasilk to help straighten their hair? It comes in a spray bottle. This was kinda back in the day, but before I got a perm I used to get Lustrasilk sprayed on my hair after a shampoo and conditioner. Then my stylist (or mom) would simply blowdry my hair to get it straight. You wouldn't need to use a flatiron! Does anyone know if this is still around? If so, this may be something people should look into when flatironing their hair.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I know this product. I searched it on the web and that is how I found LHCF. I bought some at a BSS to use on my DD but have not used it yet. My mother used it on me as a child (thirty years ago) but she and I both remember it working well. It smells like vinegar (because it contains it). Search here, I think someone said it is drying. I've read good and negative reviews. I still want to try it on my little one.

Dymondz7

I use to use it when I was younger and had a sylist who did as well. It was very drying and I don't think it offers much in way of being a heat protectant, which I think is vital when using direct heat. A former beautician (who I still love) that i had when I lived in San Diego said you might as well get a mild relaxer if you choose to use that product. I was young at the time and didn't think to ask why that was the case.

I've decided not to use it this go round of my beng natural.

NuMe2004

I asked about this product a while ago on the board, but no one could offer any assistance. I too was wondering if it was still around. A stylist used to get my hair silky straight with this back in the day. It would burn my scalp like crazy, but it sure did get my hair lookin' purty!

BeaLady

My local Sallys still sells this. I used to used this years ago. I never had the spray. The kind that I used was in a bottle that you poured in your hair. I still had to have my hair pressed. It had a very strong odor. They used to also sell a deodorizer.

I tried to use it again a few years ago and it didn't work for me.

I agree that it is very drying. From what I've been reading it seems like ThermaSmooth might be a better alternative.