Can/Do 4b naturals rollerset? (Come on in)

cocoberry10

Hi Ladies:

I'm not 100% sure what my hair type will be since I haven't BC'd yet.

However, if I am 4b (I will just use this as my measuring stick) I would like to know if some of your 4b naturals still rollerset your hair, especially as a base for when you straighten? Or do you just blowdry/flatiron/press/whatever to get hair straight!

I'd love to know. I'm trying to know all I can as I transition!:yep:

rabs77

I haven't been able to rollerset..successfully:nono: It always comes out a mess. I'm 4a natural. Would appreciate some tips too

yodie

I'm on my way back to Natural and I'd like to know too.
Do you ladies blowdry and then flat iron?
Airdry and then flat iron?
Has anyone tried one of those wet to dry flat irons?

AfroKink

I've done a rollerset using flexirods. I did it on dry stretched hair, using IC gel with sparkelites. I let it dry over night. I didn't use it as a base for straightening though.

Lys

Maynard

Gin does. She posted a thread with pictures recently.

LOL...My rollerset looked a hot mess! (Well to me) But yall ladies are more than welcome to take a look... I will have to find the link..I wouldnt mind seeing a finished flexirod set in 4B hair :yep:

Maynard

Ok...I am goofy..I thought that she was talking about rollersetting to wear out in public...I did and I have a "tutorial" lemme find it

cocoberry10

Ok...I am goofy..I thought that she was talking about rollersetting to wear out in public...I did and I have a "tutorial" lemme find it

Thanks. Actually I was talking about both. Either rollersetting and being able to wear that look outside, or rollersetting and then flatironing/pressing to reduce using two heat sources. I just wanted to know if people did this!

danimani

I've had success doing it. The key is a lot of leave in and to make sure the hair is soaking wet.

But I was able to do roller sets dry, so I dunno if that makes a difference in terms of technique.

In terms of texture, however, it can be done.

Sunshine0801

I rollerset my hair once and loved it. It certainly wasn't straight, but it showed the length and density of my hair, which I loved. I wore it out and got many compliments as well. Definitely a style that I will be trying again. :yep: Next time I may try it on dry stretched hair to see if I can get a smoother set.

Pics are in my fotki.

Ms Lala

I think if your hair is fine you probably can do a rollerset. I have coarse 4a hair and my rollersets look like big fro's. They're pointless really except to dry my hair. Maybe I haven't tried the right products, I don't know.

bellalouise

I am 4a in the top of my head and 4b/C/D on the sides and in the back. i have been natural since 2000. I wet roller set and then flat iron the roots. It is truly a training process. I just started roller setting umm maybe 2 months ago and love it. I aget some many compliments on my hair and no one ever knows that I do not have a perm. Prior to roller setting the routine was the following:
1. Wash
2. DC
3. My stylist would plait my hair in 8-10 braids, dry about 75% under the dryer
4. Blow dry the remaining 25%
5. Flat iron and then press the hairline
6. Curl with marcel iron
I was in the salon FOREVER and although my hair can take a lickin, that was too much heat.
So now my routine is the same steps 1-2, however; step 3 - rollerset, step 4- flat iron only the root and step 5 is saran wrap and whallah.:grin:

nakialovesshoes

I have done the rollerset to flat iron on my hair. My pics are in my fotki under the 5th month natural.

I will have to eventually try the flexi rod set to wear b/c I'm doing bootcamp for the entire year & will only have passes to flat iron my hair like 4 times this year (although my goal is to only flat iron once:grin:)

Crissi

I love your tutorial! Now just a few questions: have you ever rollerset and straightened without the bow dry?, what blow dryer is that, what ceramic iron band is that? Oh and what temperature do you straighten your har at?

Whew sorry for all the question, im just trying to prepare for the day when i have some more hair. :grin:

TIA, Crissi, x

LOL...My rollerset looked a hot mess! (Well to me) But yall ladies are more than welcome to take a look... I will have to find the link..I wouldnt mind seeing a finished flexirod set in 4B hair :yep:

Maynard

I love your tutorial! Now just a few questions: have you ever rollerset and straightened without the bow dry?, what blow dryer is that, what ceramic iron band is that? Oh and what temperature do you straighten your har at?

Whew sorry for all the question, im just trying to prepare for the day when i have some more hair. :grin:

TIA, Crissi, x

:wavey: Thank you ma'am...

I haven't straightened without the blow dry.

My blowdryer is an Andis Styler 1875 (19.99 at BSS)

I have a CHI iron without the temp control, so I dont know what temp it is, but its HOT!

inthepink

I definitely think 4bs can roller set! I think the key is making sure your hair is completely saturated before it goes on the roller as well as getting the rollers to be taut. I find that mesh rollers are easiest to use and get close to your roots.
Wrapping further straightens the hair but you can always flat iron the roots with a low heat. If the set isn't getting your hair straight enough, you could also flat iron all of it on low heat. I think this is still healthier than blow drying and flat ironing separately.

I have a tutorial on my website that might be helpful. My hair is a combo 3b/3c. http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

tadeja

I definitely think 4bs can roller set! I think the key is making sure your hair is completely saturated before it goes on the roller as well as getting the rollers to be taut. I find that mesh rollers are easiest to use and get close to your roots.
Wrapping further straightens the hair but you can always flat iron the roots with a low heat. If the set isn't getting your hair straight enough, you could also flat iron all of it on low heat. I think this is still healthier than blow drying and flat ironing separately.

I have a tutorial on my website that might be helpful. My hair is a combo 3b/3c. http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

Thanks for the info, and the link, now I have a new site to stalk.

As for mesh rollers I always found that unless I used end papers my hair was frizzy, how do you combat the frizz?