Naturals and STRAIGHT Half-Wigs: How to work them?

PaperClip

I'd like to do a straight half-wig just for kicks. I bought one and I felt it looked SO FAKE on me... the hair looked fake and I guess I wasn't used to the straight look on me since going natural. Plus all my other half-wigs are curly/coily....

Any ideas/suggestions? I suppose I'll have to get my front blown out for blending...but is there a way to wear a straight half-wig without doing that?

Thanks in advance!

Shoutin' out BMore or whatever her new screenname is!:grin:

PanamasOwn

I'd like to do a straight half-wig just for kicks. I bought one and I felt it looked SO FAKE on me... the hair looked fake and I guess I wasn't used to the straight look on me since going natural. Plus all my other half-wigs are curly/coily....

Any ideas/suggestions? I suppose I'll have to get my front blown out for blending...but is there a way to wear a straight half-wig without doing that?

Thanks in advance!

Shoutin' out BMore or whatever her new screenname is!:grin:

I have a half wig that I use on my entire head...I braid my hair underneath...and put the little combs in the front and push it back...I cover that up by putting a scarf around my head to cover up the diifference...and there you go...A quick weave..

I usually do this on my lazy days or when I want to wear an EXTRA protective style..

Twisties

You might have to press (along with the blowout) the front of your hair to get it to match the straight hair. That's what I do when wearing straight half-wigs to get the hair to match.

Maybe others have different solutions.

CurliDiva

I sugguest buying a full wig if you want to sport a different texture or color! IMO, it is too much work trying to blend otherwise!:look:

sprungonhairboards

I sugguest buying a full wig if you want to sport a different texture or color! IMO, it is too much work trying to blend otherwise!:look:

I agree. A HUGE pet peeve of mine is seeing 2 different textures on somebodys head. It is NOT cute and it looks sooo fake.That's a bigger give away than butt length hair. And no matter how much pressing and blowing you do, natural hair (4a and above) never truly matches that weave/wig hair.

I suggest going to a wig shop or beauty supply and just playing around and trying on different wigs on until you find what looks nice and the most natural on you. If you braid your hair down tight underneath in small cornrows and wear a wig cap you shouldnt have any bulk at all.

glamazon386

Thanks for the shoutout RR! I wear straight wigs all the time. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR. Just wear a headband. I cover all my hair with the wig but I put the wig maybe an inch or two past my hairline. Then I put a scarf or a headband right there. So you can see my edges (which I gel down) and then the headband and then you see the weave hair. HTH... Even if I straightened my own hair in the front (I tried to do that yesterday) it still wouldn't totally match the weave hair. So why bother?

ETA: Here's a picture. Let me see if I can find one with one of those hard plastic headbands.

Last edited:

TCatt86

Thanks for the shoutout RR! I wear straight wigs all the time. Just wear a headband. I cover all my hair with the wig but I put the wig maybe an inch or two past my hairline. Then I put a scarf or a headband right there. So you can see my edges (which I gel down) and then the headband and then you see the weave hair. HTH... Even if I straightened my own hair in the front (I tried to do that yesterday) it still wouldn't totally match the weave hair. So why bother?

That's what I do, I love half wigs!!

CurliDiva

Ohhhh... really? Ok.... Any suggestions on a SLAMMIN' straight full wig that doesn't look bulky/fake?

Hi RelaxerRehab,

There are plenty examples of ladies sporting great looking wigs in the WIG Challenge 2008 thread.

Most BSS have a wide selection of "instant weaves" now that wigs have gain popularity! Going to a BBS your best bet, viewing styles online or on fake heads just is not as accurate as viewing the style/hair in person.

Good luck, Curli

wannabelong

Bam and there it is!

Thanks for the shoutout RR! I wear straight wigs all the time. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR. Just wear a headband. I cover all my hair with the wig but I put the wig maybe an inch or two past my hairline. Then I put a scarf or a headband right there. So you can see my edges (which I gel down) and then the headband and then you see the weave hair. HTH... Even if I straightened my own hair in the front (I tried to do that yesterday) it still wouldn't totally match the weave hair. So why bother?

ETA: Here's a picture. Let me see if I can find one with one of those hard plastic headbands.