Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair?

How many sections do you detangle in and approximately where does your hair type fall

• 4b/4a, no sections

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • 4b/4a, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • 4b/4a, 5 or more sections

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • 4a/3c, no sections

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 4a/3c, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • 4a/3c, 5 or more sections

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 3c/3b, no sections

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 3c/3b, 2 - 4 sections

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 3c/3b, 5 or more sections

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

newbeginnings2010

And do you think that the looser your curl pattern, the fewer sections you need? I'm asking because I have air-dried my hair in nine sections with minimal tangling, six with minimal tangling, four with a few more tangles but nothing major, two with a lot of tangles, and no sections with massive tangles at the line of demarcation. So I need at least six sections for my 4b/4a hair. How many do you need and approximately where does your hair type fall?

Yoshi3329

Re: Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair

Transitioning 8 months post and I wash in four sections; 6 sections if I'm not lazy, or think of it at the time. (When my hair is loose).

I air dry in about 4-6 sections. I've even air dried in 2 big braids before when I was 6 months post. I had no tangles then. I plan on doing that again once I take down my braids in a few weeks.

Hair Type: 4c

Re: Naturals and Transitioners: In how many sections do you wash and/or dry your hair

I'm transitioning and I'm still at the point where I don't have section as I co-wash or shampoo. I think I will have to section at the six month point, though. When that time hits, I will section in four parts.

13StepsAhead

To be quite honest I don’t know my hair type and it’s just too complicated for me to figure out. I’m 13 months post and I don’t wash in sections or braids (it probably would help but it’s just not an extra step I want to take); however, I do air-dry in two low buns.

ETA: I do detangle and moisturize in 4 sections

Last edited:

Zay-neey

4a/3c wash my hair as a whole.
detangle in 4 sections( braids). i detangle right before i put my hair in 4 braids to air dry.

agar10

im about 3b 3c type hair i believe, i section my hair in either two or four sections depending on if i have any clips handy in the shower. i do this because this way i can make sure my hair is throughly washed and conditioned. but before i do all this i detangle, with my deman, wide tooth comb and fingers, its just easier to apply shampoo and conditioner once my hair is detangled. then i pat my hair dry i really have a strict routine in how i wash my hair..

Forever in Bloom

I'm 4a/3c (used to think I was 4a/4b; more 4a than anything though).

I have more than enough hair to section in 4 pieces, but 6-8 work better :yep:

candigyrl0830

I used to wash and detangle in 4 sections in the shower but I was running out of hot water because it took so long so I switched to 2 and that works fine. I've been transitioning 7 months and I think I am 4a but I am really not all that sure.

Sapphire_chic

I think it's more about density. I am 2 years post type a/b (see avatar) and I wash loose and detangle loose out of the shower but usually I do it in 4 sections if i'm in the shower. water stretches my hair to a degree I don't need sections much, I think it is because I have medium to lowish density :)
Oh I mostly dry in plaits to stretch the hair but sometimes I bun/ponytail

discodumpling

Depends on the syle i'm coming out if and just how much detangling needs to be done...I can successfully wash my hair completly loose or sectioned in no more than 5 sections.

Goombay_Summer

Only if I don't want a tangled bird nest and lots of tears it's mandatory that I wash and dry my hair in 8 sections.

NaturalRed

I co-wash daily right now, so I don't do sections. I fingercomb to detangle when I'm co-washing. I do section my hair in 4 to detangle once a week. My hair is 4a/b

Nasdaq_Diva

I voted 4a/3c (though have about 4-5 diff textures going on) but I cleanse/condition/detangle anywhere from 5-8 sections.

kandiekj100

4a here. I don't wash in sections. Maybe if it were longer (I'm only a little past SL when wet), then maybe I would find it necessary, but as of right now I don't have a need to.

Determined22

I'm a 4a with a type 3 section in the very front of my head. Right now my hair is about 6 inches long & I wash in 8 sections, 4 on each side. Any less than that & I can't keep my hair stretched. I'd love to wash loose or in less sections, but as soon as water hits my hair it shrinks & coils up, and stretching it out again from the coils is a painful endeavor.

SherylsTresses

I prepoo, shampoo and DC in 6-10 loose braids with barrettes on the ends. :spinning:

MilkChocolateOne

4a, long layered bsl, transitioning with 5-6 inches of newgrowth

I wash my hair in 8 sections

lijm83

I get confused by hair typing, but I believe I'm a 4something with some 3 (I have about 4 different curls sizes).
I tried washing in sections but it gives me the same results as washing without sections. I believe that's because my hair is still relatively short. I do let my hair air dry in 4-6 sections.

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

Transitioning, 8 months post, 4a/4b. I wash in either 2 or 4 sections; 2 if I'm just cowashing and 4 if I'm shampooing. I always airdry, detangle or moisturize&seal in 4 sections and then braid it up.

Last edited:

LadyPBC

I am 4a/3c/4a I believe. I wash in 6 sections when I am showing off but most times I'm lazy or in a rush and wash in 4 sections. I normally air dry in flat twists or a wash n go. I want to know how to wash each section without taking it loose? That could save a bunch of time huh?

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member

I'm a natural 4a/3c and I don't section at all. Maybe if I get more length I will have the need to, but for right now my hair is tangle free when I wash it.

tocktick

I do 4 sections but I tend to split the section I'm working with into 2 because one quater is still quite a chunk of hair for me.

I'm not sure if those with looser curl patterns need more sections. I would think it all comes down to length and thickness more than anything.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

When I transitioned I washed in 6 sections in the later months. Now that there is no more war between my relaxed ends and my natural hair I don't section anymore. I'm a CBL (when stretched) 4b. I think this may change once my hair gets APLish or longer

newbeginnings2010

Thanks for voting and replying ladies! It looks like many of the 4b/4a ladies wash in 5 or more sections. I think I'll keep up with that. I hope this poll can help everyone learning how to care for natural hair.:yep:

BlackMasterPiece

I'm 4a/b and 10 is the magic number for me right now and I think it will stay that way:yep:

daydreem2876

carpe diem

I am trasitioning and 10 months post. I use 4 sections to wash and 2 to airdry. It used to be more but my hair does not like to be wet and manipulated too much so I keep the sections to a minimum

nikolite

I'm 4A/3C. I don't think the sections have anything to do with your hair texture but with your hair length and thickness. I just recently increased to detangling and washing in 8 sections instead of 4, and it keeps the tangles away better because the the sections don't shrink and bunch up with more plaits.

I don't take the plaits out when I wash, I just wash my scalp with the shampoo.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I wash/detangle my hair in 3-4 sections, sometimes 2 if I'm being hair lazy. My hair is medium thick-density wise and 3c/4a, I'm sure if my hair were super thick I would need more sections.

steffiejoe

Im 4a and natural. I pre poo, wash and deep condition my hair in 4-6 sections. I've been doing this for about 8 months. This has saved my hair from tangles and I feel increases my retention. Before trying this method I would lose tones of hair when I detangled.
I never wet my hair lose its always sectioned off in plaits.

winnettag

I do 8-10 sections because it makes detangling so much easier for me. Also, If I'm straightening it easier to blowdry and flatiron.

ETA: I have tightly coiled hair.

Last edited: