Naturals, as your hair gets longer...

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Do you find it harder to maintain? Geez, I decided to wash my hair and put it in a low ponytail for the remainder of the day. After work, I decided to dry two strand twist my hair, since it stretched out a bit. Next thing I know, I am fighting with my hair! It was so tangled- this has NEVER happened to me before. Along with this, I have been having issues just styling the stuff. Anyone else?

Haven't had that type of natural length yet and have recently decided to loc. However, my daughters are all natural with tons of thick hair. The oldest one rocks low ponies all the time...ALL the time. Her hair is very loosely curled with no kink HOWEVER I can tell she hasn't been detangling that pony and guess who'll have to deal.

With my 6 year old, I put her hair in braids or twists and keep them in for a month or more at a time. I wash them and rinse them and condition them and spritz them, but I do NOT remove them until I think child services might intervene.

With the 2 year old she rocks a big old afro that is bsl when stretched. It becomes the most insanely tangled. VO5 strawberries and cream is the best when it comes to detangling her hair. Asha's silk rose was nice too. Daily Doctor is cool. Her hair has to be soaking wet and worked on in sections.

SECTIONS. SECTIONS. SECTIONS. or I have a challenge when it comes to all three heads of hair.

Hold up. Did I just take over ranting on top of your rant?

p1

I've noticed that my ends get drier. Lately I've been rubbing my Kemi-Oyl on them several times a week to keep them lubricated.

Last edited:
Yes i can relate! i recently posted a topic about this, lol! however, i have learned that as your hair grows, your regimen has to change and grow also. For instance, i now ONLY fingercomb(comb to make parts only) and i love it! Fingercombing sames me so much time and is much less of a hassle than fighting with any comb or brush. Detangling is a breeze now, since i only detangle wet and under the shower with lots of conditoner. Styling does take longer but that goes along with wanting long hair, whether it be natural or relaxed. But as your hair gets longer you can experiment with different styles that aren't as time consuming. I think that since i learned to adapt to my hair, its has been alot easier for me to deal with my hair. I just MIGHT see how long it can get! BTW, i love your hair!!!

jasmine:)

At first I thought my ends were bad, but this is the thrid time around that I did a massive trim (Sept 2005) and in the end my hair grew back the same after using heat once in the nine months since my trim and cobing my ends very carefully. So I decided that as my hair gets longer no matter how perfect my ends are cut Im gonna have tangled hair with some knots, I just have to accept that with longer natural hair. At first I was confused because my hair never did this as a child, but then again like every other black little girl I had 10+ ponytails on my head, which was slightly blow dried after washing and I never wore my hair "out" spice girl style or if I did it was a press. So there was no way that my hair could tangle up if it wanted to. The thing is I just have to comb more often rather than going weeks at a time like I did when my hair was shorter.

Wow, I thought it would be easier when your natural hair got longer. I'm in what I call the mullet stage. Too short for a bun and almost long enough to twist my hair going strait back.:ohwell: Ah well. At least I can wash n go.:lol:

I'm finding the same thing. I have to baggie my ponytails everynight (I make 2 for bedtime) or there is gonna be big trouble. Especially since I've always had a problem with my ends splitting up the strand. I still wear puffs but I have to detangle daily and spritz plus oil my ends and baggie them everynight religiously.
I find I absolutely canNOT finger comb my hair because it knots up and tangles my ends horribly. As far as styles, twists are taking longer as well but nowadays I'm keeping them in longer (I could care less about frizz unless it is an important event). But I'm still gonna try to make it to waistlength....just to see if I can...:D

nurseN98 said:
I'm finding the same thing. I have to baggie my ponytails everynight (I make 2 for bedtime) or there is gonna be big trouble. Especially since I've always had a problem with my ends splitting up the strand. I still wear puffs but I have to detangle daily and spritz plus oil my ends and baggie them everynight religiously.
I find I absolutely canNOT finger comb my hair because it knots up and tangles my ends horribly. As far as styles, twists are taking longer as well but nowadays I'm keeping them in longer (I could care less about frizz unless it is an important event). But I'm still gonna try to make it to waistlength....just to see if I can...:D

I can't fingercomb either. I've tried, in the shower with a head full of condish-I felt like I was defeating the purpose of detangling! My main style for this summer (and maybe the remaining of the year will be cornrows. Kept the last set in for 2 whole weeks!

It's funny that you started this topic because I was just saying to my cousin a couple of days ago, now that my natural hair is past bottom of brastrap it's beginning to get tangled. I too, thought that it needed to be clipped because those knots are killing me. I never had this problem until it got past bottom of brastrap, before then my hair was smooth and tangle free. I guess it goes with the territory. I think I'm going to try nurse's method of bagging every night.

i can honestly say my hair doesn't get tangled that bad and i have real nappy type 4 hair thats lower midback. when my hair is tangled all i need to do is massage a little conditioner in and and let the force of water from the shower head help force the strands apart. from there i can untangle and pick apart with my fingers, then afterwards i can run the strands through a wide tooth comb. Recently i went 3 weeks without using a comb at all and i wore it loose just fingercombing. When i finally did finally use a real comb it wasn't much of an issue. Of course i never detangle dry cause that would spell disaster for me, but i always make sure to detangle while hair is wet and in sections. some helpful hints that help me are:
-washing in the shower because the force of the water pressure helps detangle
-detangle while soaking wet with a good slippery conditioner
-letting the conditioner sit for a few minutes before i begin to detangle, (because i find that if i slap conditioner on and try to detangle immediately the comb doesn't go through as smoothly as it does when i give the conditioner a few min to seep in before combing)
-washing hair in 4 big loose braids rather than loose helps also
-keeping ends lubricated (i use castor oil )

Thats what happened to me and I ended up texturizing. It hurts my arms just thinking about wash days when I was natural!! I think an easier way to get around this is to keep a low maintenance style and avoid tangles ect.

Keeping hair in protective sytles helps, but what really makes a diff. is keeping the ends moisterized w/ hair creme or misting w/ a water based spray or daily CO. I do have to trim those tiny knots that come up even when I don't manipulate my hair much. I haven't worn my hair down&out for a long while so we'll see what happens when I start doing that style again.

Last edited:
One one way, my hair getting longer is easier because I can more easily pull it back in a ponytail and have it look nice. But it was getting harder to detangle. I read CoilyPeach's regimen and added castor oil to my leave in products. I can comb far more easily and lose a lot less hair to detangling.

once i comb through after washing, my hair usually stays detanged for a couple of days with the help of a good hair moisturizer.

I have this problem with longer hair and that was one of my reasons for cutting it. For me, the good products only work for so long and I wind up searching for something else to tame my tangles. As long as I keep my hair in a low manipulation style such as a single braid or a few twists, the tangles aren't so bad, but when I wear my hair loose, it's a given that I'll have major tangles.

I was just thinking this, I reluctantly chopped again & was loving not needing to use my kcutter for 20mins to detangle (& this was w/ washing my hair in sections). It was getting tough for me to handle my hair when it was at APL natural, but with this cut I just wash & go, finger comb as needed. Seriously thinking about not keeping it too long, but we'll see what happens.

I am having more of a problem with detangling and split ends. I am trying to ramp up the moisture.

I wear twists for at least a month, then wash detangle and retwist.

I've tried the ponytail, puff thing, but I can't get a decent looking one to save my butt. I just don't have that kind of skill.

I did my BC last July. My hair was abt 1-2 inches back then and it has grown back in pretty quickly IMO. As it gets longer it gets easier for me to deal with because there are more styles I can do, especially now that I can pull it back in one. But I think a year from now I'll probably find the length a bit of a hassle. I think when it grows out more I'll wear it in twists all the time.

patient1 said:
With the 2 year old she rocks a big old afro that is bsl when stretched. It becomes the most insanely tangled. VO5 strawberries and cream is the best when it comes to detangling her hair. Asha's silk rose was nice too. Daily Doctor is cool. Her hair has to be soaking wet and worked on in sections.
Hey patient1, do you have her wearing a big old afro everyday? If so, how do you take care of it daily? Do you braid it up every night then pick it out every morning? What product do you use in her hair? How often do you wash her hair? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Bublnbrnsuga said:
Do you find it harder to maintain? Geez, I decided to wash my hair and put it in a low ponytail for the remainder of the day. After work, I decided to dry two strand twist my hair, since it stretched out a bit. Next thing I know, I am fighting with my hair! It was so tangled- this has NEVER happened to me before. Along with this, I have been having issues just styling the stuff. Anyone else?

Hi Bublnbrnsuga,
I took a look at your album and your hair is gorgeous and thick. The brown/auburn highlights looked great in your hair.

MeechUK

When I grew out my hair last summer (it was at its longest point) I started fighting with it too b/c it was just get so tangled. It was difficult to detangle WITH conditioner and I would get so frustrated I would just rip the tangled hair apart. I know I know slap my hand b/c I just didn't have that kind of time.

Also I was like "why am I spending all this time with it ONLY to put it in a friggin pony tail". Not stylish AT ALL!

You don't want my solution -I cut it all off in September and am starting over. I am cool with it. I enjoy the different stages of length.

Bublnbrnsuga said:

It seems like it's easier for me to deal with my hair when it's longer.

It has more weight to it and I can do more with it by way of braids, buns, twists, etc. And washing it is easier because it gets washed in braids and conditioned in a bun overnight.

Have any of ya'll having trouble with tangled ends tried henna?

Okay - this is my train of thought.

1) The hair on the end is the oldest (obviously) so it's going to be rough & fragile anyway.
2) The hair on the end is the lightest - it doesn't have anything pulling it down like the rest of the hair, so it's going to bounce and tangle with the rest of the hairs majorly.

Henna will smooth down/seal the cuticles, and weigh down your hair slighty - which might help with the tangles.

Also, are ya'll misting daily/twice daily? Personally, (and my hair is NO where near as long as ya'lls, and I can't wait til I have these problems!) I've noticed that when my hair is in protective styles, I can get away with misting once a day - but when my hair is out, it NEEDS twice a day misting, and it's really happiest with thrice a day misting. I've noticed that the drier my hair is, the more it tangles. And older hair IS usually more porous, thus drier.

Back