Naturals: Do you use Crisco?

Filmatic

So I saw on another board some use Crisco for sealing so I have been trying it. It's GREAT! My hair is so moisturized. Over Lustrasilk Cholesterol it helps with frizz and defining curls. I'm just wondering if anyone else had had this happen.? I know some use Vaseline.

I will say that my hair doesn't like gel or shea so maybe that's why it works.

I would have posed this to relaxed as well but Crisco is heavy and I'm not sure if many would use it. Feel free to chime in though.

msa

Well, I wouldn't be able to get over the texture and the smell (I can't do mayo for the same reason) but I can see why it would work.

Do you leave grease stains if you lean against things?

Stacy TheLady

Never used it and i don't think i will either. Its EVOO or EVCO for me. I recently started using Organic Rice Bran Oil in my hair and the results are great. Soft, light & shiny hair!

MzJai

Well, I wouldn't be able to get over the texture and the smell (I can't do mayo for the same reason) but I can see why it would work.

I'm so with you on the SMELL! :wallbash: I would keep thinking somebody is frying something somewhere until I realize it's my hair!

But...No (OP) I haven't tried Crisco. But i'm sure it would work the same way shea butter/castor oil does it for my ends.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I would be scared that if I got hot, my hair would smell. I am a Haitian castor oil girl myself. I doubt I can be swayed, LOL.

foxieroxienyc

You are a MESS! :lachen::lachen::lachen: I almost fell over with that line. Made me think of Soul Glow.

OP, never tried it, I don't think I'd be able to get over it being Crisco :look:. However, if it works for YOU, rock it.

Filmatic

Lol that's what I thought but nope. I've laid on pillow cases, walls, etc to test it out and nothing. Now I am not slapping a bucketload on.

Also there is no smell. If it is, that can is rancid. My hair smells like whatever con/ leave in I use under it. I'll keep using it to see how it goes.

sheba1

Yassylane uses Crisco and her hair is the biz: http://public.fotki.com/yassylane/

She shared her reggie with CurleeDST some time ago. I'll copy that here:

Here it is:

Hello friend, and thank you for the kind words. My regimen is very simple, I shampoo my hair once a month, I co wash once a week, I rinse every other day or as needed. I use a mix of s-curl and crisco vegetable shortening then I cornrow my hair into 4 to 6 rows while doing protective styles. PROTECTIVE STYLES is what grew my hair out. I kept my hair in protective styles at least 95% of the time. While its in cornrows I wear instant weaves in all shades, textures, and lengths so that I dont get bored .I hope this helps

Hello again friend, my avatar pic was 2 months before my 2.5 years and yes that was grown from being completely bald, I mean shiney head bald. So actually that pic was at 2yrs and 3 months. I shaved it off out of frustration. All my hair was just falling out in clumps due to a bad perm so I shaved it. Best thing Ive ever done for my hair. I must admit I had the average amount of hair growth but because of constant protective styling I didnt have to trim much at all. Actually ive only trimed once and that was about 2 months ago and that was just a light dusting. When I pull it the back its almost brastrap so im hoping to get there in the next couple of months so wish me luck. Hope this helps.

Enjoy - she used patience and protective styles to get here.

Natural Glow

My mom told me her mom used to use Crisco on their hair when she was little. She said she hated it because when it was hot it would melt down her face.:lachen: I'm glad she didn't use that on my hair. She just used good old petroleum jelly.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I have just a few times just to see what the hype was about. It wasn't anything I stuck with but it was ok. Just like using a hair butter. You could always add some fragrance oils for a better scent.

Dr.'s recommend crisco for eczema too. A lot of people get great results with it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Lol that's what I thought but nope. I've laid on pillow cases, walls, etc to test it out and nothing. Now I am not slapping a bucketload on.

Also there is no smell. If it is, that can is rancid. My hair smells like whatever con/ leave in I use under it. I'll keep using it to see how it goes.

I didn't smell anything either. I would use it again but i have too much other stuff to use up, lol.

Truth

regular or butter-flavored? I kid I kid. :D

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

ahhh... nah can't say I use crisco.... I use palmolive evoo.. but thats it... to str8 break out the crisco... nah..that would make think of fried chicken all day..

Last edited:

classychic1908

^^^ I agree it's just oil and glycerin, so why not? I am hooked on my castor oil and glycerin right now, so I'm not going to run and get some-- but if I were in need of some product and say I was visiting family or something, I would totally raid the pantry.

Urban

When you say Crisco, do you mean the Crisco Vegetable Oil? Like this?:

If so I've used this as a pre-poo about 2 times now since I ran out of EVOO. I actually really liked it. I think because it's heavier, it protects my hair more from shampoo (as it doesn't feel as stripped). But my hair's not greasy at all afterwards. I like it, I think I might keep using it :yep:.

mscocoface

I believe it is the shortening one correct? I have never tried it but when I saw yassy's fotki a while back I was intrigued.

She and LynnieB seem to have similar hair types. I know their growth is about the same it is like WEEDS!

Whimsy

I haven't and doubt I ever will. the most foodish thing I use in my hair is coconut oil and olive oil.

Filmatic

Thanks ladies. I use the vegetable one.

Per the ingredients it really is just vegetable oil, mostly palm oil. I didn't see any cottonseed in mine. So it's pretty much like olive oil. I was just wondering if anyone is getting the same great softness as me. This seems to be the only thing that removes frizz/defines curls without it making my hair crunchy and dry.

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Per the ingredients it really is just vegetable oil, mostly palm oil. I didn't see any cottonseed in mine. So it's pretty much like olive oil. I was just wondering if anyone is getting the same great softness as me. This seems to be the only thing that removes frizz/defines curls without it making my hair crunchy and dry.

I think this is cool :grin:, I was talking in another thread about how my mom used to press my natural hair with crisco. It was always soft, frizz free, and didn't revert.

LynnieB

If it's working for your hair than its all good. Sometimes I need something heavy to put on my ends in the wintertime; Crisco, vaseline, Qhemet's heavy cream, products w/mineral oil, regular ole hair grease all help seal in moisture and protect.

Don't know what's so wrong with some veggie grease. It's not like the animal fat Crisco from back in the day. It has no scent and is thick and heavy. Add a dab to whatever else you use, use alone or add a couple drops of EO to make it smell nice.

Do you girl.

HHG

Rei

nope, worked terribly. Made my hair sticky with only a little bit, and then left it dry as the desert even after putting in leavein first and putting into a bun

cltsassy

I just started using this after reading another thread. I mixed it with a deep conditioner, Hollywood Beauty olive oil, and tea tree oil. My hair came out so incredibly soft and the comb glided through it like butter. I usually have a problem with dry hair, but after using this deep conditioning mixture and then putting the crisco, olive oil and tea tree oil on afterward, my hair was moisturized for the whole week. This is definitely a keeper for me.