• Combing my hair when dry

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I don't use a comb/fingers only

Votes: 12 10.1%

• Total voters

prettyinpurple

lovelymissyoli said:
I think I'm the only person who chose dry.... :look:

Both methods work great for me! When I twist, I comb my hair while its dry. That means parting (for flat twists), and combing through the sections that I finger part after I apply shea butter.

The shower however is the greatest way to comb my hair. The comb glides right through w/ the help of conditioner or shampoo.

But in the end I always wind up combing dry hair because I've stopped twisting on wet hair!

You don't detangle your hair when wet before twisting when it's dry? I do twist my hair when it's dry too but my hair has been thoroughly detangled while wet. You are right about twisting on dry hair, much better and less shrinkage!

My hair would laugh at me if I tried dry twisting w/o having detangled first lol.

mkstar826

supersonic
finger combing only. less breakage that way i've noticed.

eta: i've finger comb on both wet & dry

Last edited:
B

Bublnbrnsuga

Wet with conditoner, but not just any conditioner. It has be to super thick!!

ajargon02

sunshyne_krissy said:
I am an extremely tenderheaded 4a so combing AT ALL is like pulling teeth. I just want to get a hand count of those who find it easier/less shedding/breakage if you comb while your hair is wet, damp or completely dry. I want to try that Eqyss Survivor Detangler once its time to take my braids down but I'm a little reluctant. Any suggestions for combing without the tears? lol

NEVER,EVER,NEVER COMB DRY!!!!! That's a way to really hurt! I only comb when I have my hair wet, and full of conditioner. That makes it too easy. I love using OYIN honey hemp(great slip) if I'm rollin on the cheap end, suave coconut works well. I am totally lovin herbal essences twisted! That has great slip for in shower detangling. Plus, I use it as a leave-in.

meia

Personally, I find using a nice detangler (surge or Oyin's Greg's Juice) and using and Ouchless brush (its got largely separated plastic "bristles") from Goody works wonders on my slightly coarse 3C hair when wet. Then i'll layer Dr. Miracles serum, healing oil, and anti-breakage strengthening creme in my hair. Serums & Oils definitely help when combing (i'm also tenderheaded!) because they slick the hair shaft. You DEFINITELY might not want to do it when your hair is dry unless its nicely coated with PLENTY of product just because I know my sis has type 4 hair, and it breaks off in places... IMO wet combing/brush is less stress on hair...

PS- Ajargon02: I'm with you on that Oyin Honey-hemp tip! lol!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Pre LHCF I used to comb on dry hair and my hair was snap cracklin and poppin all over the place :eek: and the teeth on my comb broke on the regular.....now I only brush my hair when it's wet with a lot of conditioner in it. The brush I use is made by Goody New Ouchless designed to snag less hair. That brush is ALL THAT, I see less than 10 strands per day since using it. :yep:

Pam Pam

I detangle while it's wet and has conditioner in it. I notice that once I rinse, I can comb through it with ease.

caligirl

I only comb my hair dry when its pressed. And even then I mostly finger comb. If I'm doing a braidout, I comb small sections with my k cutter then brush thru the section with my denman when the section is wet.

sunshyne_krissy

Thank you everyone for posting such great ideas. I am going to transition 'til Mar. 07 then I'm choppin off the rest of this relaxed hair. I think it is holding me back from combing correctly b/c last week I took down my braids and decided to put in cornrows and when I had got done washing and conditioning and got ready to comb through, even the relaxer hair was starting to act out. the demarcation between the two is rediculous and I can't wait to get rid of these anorexic ends..although it IS about 7 inces of it. I think my hair will thank me in the end. I will try combing whilst wet and w/ a goop of condtioner. One of you ladies suggested in your fotki regimen to not use a hooded dryer (with a shower cap on of course) because it still dries your hair out....do ya'll find that to be true or inconclusive?????

ToyToy

I comb my hair with a jilberie (sp?) comb when it is towel dried and in sections. I used to comb in the shower when soaking wet and with conditioner, but I was losing so much hair. Combing my hair when moist and in sections has been a lot more effective for me and I don't lose half as much hair as I used to.

zzirvingj

keluric said:
My hair doesn't like being combed either way but detangling wet with conditioner is much easier.

Off topic---your hair is banging!!!!

To answer the question, though, I ONLY comb while wet in the shower with conditioner! If I try to comb dry I'm asking for some serious trouble!!! :lol:

PhonyBaloney500

Before this board I used to comb it dry and watch the big clumps of hair come out. Now I only do it once a week when soaked and coated in conditioner!

dimpalz

sunshyne_krissy said:
Thank you everyone for posting such great ideas. I am going to transition 'til Mar. 07 then I'm choppin off the rest of this relaxed hair. I think it is holding me back from combing correctly b/c last week I took down my braids and decided to put in cornrows and when I had got done washing and conditioning and got ready to comb through, even the relaxer hair was starting to act out. the demarcation between the two is rediculous and I can't wait to get rid of these anorexic ends..although it IS about 7 inces of it. I think my hair will thank me in the end. I will try combing whilst wet and w/ a goop of condtioner. One of you ladies suggested in your fotki regimen to not use a hooded dryer (with a shower cap on of course) because it still dries your hair out....do ya'll find that to be true or inconclusive?????

CUT IT OFF! lol just playin. Seriously tho 7 inches may seem like alot but once it gone you wont miss it, who needs those stringy ends anyway? Well I guess people that want to wear ponies.... :perplexed lol

Back OT, I haven't tried deep conditioning under a hooded dryer but I can't imagine how it'd dry your hair out more, theoretically it should moisturise it more because the shaft expands allowing more moisture in. That said maybe the product they used was coney, just not that good, or it wasn't for them. Like alot of methods and products they might not work for everyone so sometimes it's best to try them for urself and see what works for you. HHG!

honeybadgirl

wow wow wow!!! thank u ladies...i just stepped out of the shower after reading suggestions to comb hair while wet and conditioned. I LOVE IT!!! where has this site been?? or where have i been?? what a difference. my hair was much easier and manageable. i'll always do this way. :grin:

DragonPearl

I am not going to read this long thread.

I am just going to say I wish there was an option for:

Wet and loaded with conditioner.

tsiporah

I find it much easier to comb when wet. My hair breaks when I comb it dry. When it is wet, it is detangled and the strands go down. I always have my hair in sections, in twists when I comb. I NEVER comb my hair whole. Giovanni Leave-In helps out a whooole lot.

angellazette

Definately wet or with conditioner. So far, I only use my Denman when I shamnpoo...I use my shower comb on dry hair only when it has already been stretched well.

tffy2004

I comb when wet, that is the only time I can detangle and get a comb through it. Today I tried to comb it dry cause we took the boys to take pictures and I had to co-wash real quick, it was He!! trying to get the comb through my hair. So I will be co-washing everyday for a while to come now....