Naturals: have you used a box color on your hair? Come in!

PinkGirlFluff

I used Textures and Tones in Bronze. I used two boxes for the first application and for my touch ups I only use 1 box. I followed the directions on the back. I am glad that I didn't go to a salon because if it did not turn out the way I wanted it I'd rather have myself to blame than somebody I would have had to pay regardless of the outcome. I think it came out great!

MsDes

I love Texture n Tones. I used Silken Black. I also like the deep conditioner that comes with it by Pantene r&n.

pookaloo83

I did. Soft sheen Carson in honey blond i think for my current color. I just did the tips.

I've also used texture and tones and garner.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

BklynHeart

I used Textures n' Tones in Dark Brown about 3 weeks ago to cover my greys. It only lasted for 2, them greys popped back out like no body's bizness. :nono:
I used to use natural Instincts in Chestnut and it left my hair feeling nice, however I believe they revamped it and I didn't want to try the new formula just in case it doesn't agree with my hair. I heard Revlon Colorsilk is pretty good I may try that one next.

westNDNbeauty

I used a box color when I was in college. CHECK THE EXPIRATION. The store sold me expired color which resulted in my hair not taking well but leaving me with a funny looking color. I had no sense back then. Haven't colored my hair since. When I do, I'll probably go to Aveda.

ellebelle88

I used Textures and Tones in Bronze. I used two boxes for the first application and for my touch ups I only use 1 box. I followed the directions on the back. I am glad that I didn't go to a salon because if it did not turn out the way I wanted it I'd rather have myself to blame than somebody I would have had to pay regardless of the outcome. I think it came out great!

PinkGirlFluff is that Textures and Tones on your hair in your siggy? I like it! Did you have to bleach your hair first to get that color or is your hair already light?

----------------
Now playing: TLC - Digging on You
via FoxyTunes

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Yea, I did nice and easy maybe like six months ago. I had no issues and actually my hair seemed really moisturized after the fact. Its low peroxide which made me use it so the color wasn't too drastic

SkySurfer

Last time i used a box colour i over processed (two colours in 2 weeks..dumbbbb i knowww!) So for now, I'm sticking to henna. I like the colour i get, and I don't think I'll use chemical box dyes again.

Curlykutie

Just dyed mine with Feria Auburn Brown #56. Now I'm sitting under the steamer with Aubrey's White Camilla doing a deep conditioning.:drunk:

Dominicanatural

Love Textures and Tones, Cherrywood! My stylist thought I had gotten it professionally done and complimented it. I really think I'll stick with it until I go back to black (if ever). My biggest recommendation Is to follow the directions exactly as written as you can risk lighter roots if you're not careful. Otherwise, awesome for the price.

outspokenwallflower

My sister just used a box color tonight (Texture & Tones) in Golden Blonde, I believe. She has natural, virgin hair that was henna'ed about a year ago. I applied it for her tonight and the color took really, really well. She wanted a cinnamon light brown color, so we stopped the lightening process at the level she felt comfortable with. Her hair looks good, the color is nice and vibrant and the pattern is still the same, if not *SLIGHTLY* loosened, which she likes.

BadMamaJama

Another vote for Textures and Tones. I did burgandy when I was natural. That was last February. Now I'm relaxed and I still don't have any breakage or anything. Of course I stay on top of my dc's, but T&T is awesome.

BlkMane

BlkMane I am going to color my hair in a couple of months. When you used T&T for the first time did your roots come out lighter than the rest of your hair? I am worried that it will happen to me when I apply the color. (I have seen the lighter root result in youtube videos) Any advice appreciated.

gforceroy-- When I used T&T the very first time, I did not experience "hot roots", I believe that is what you are referring to. Even when I color my hair now, I apply the color all the way up to my scalp and I have no problem with hot roots. I think what I did (the very first time) was to apply the color to the last 1/4 inch of hair--at the root--last?

I think the box gives you some type of instructions regarding that so the heat from your scalp doesn't make the color activate quicker than the rest of your hair. However, I don't have any problems with that when I color my new growth every couple of months.

BlkMane

By the way, wanted to add, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do a test before coloring your whole head. When I first used T&T, I colored a little patch of hair on the side of my head first (right in front of my ear), so I could determine how long to leave the color on. Depending on your hair's porosity, you may have to leave the color on more or less than recommended.

ALSO, your natural and relaxed hair will take different amounts of time to reach the same color, usually. I forgot about this when I did my last color (I'm transitioning), I should have left the color on my hair about 5 minutes longer than my "Normal" time since my roots are natural. It's a very slight difference in color, but I can see it when I inspect my hair. No one else can really tell. I'm gonna fix it in 2.5 months when I recolor my roots.

NowIAmNappy

I did 2 weeks ago and I used the Garnier Nutrisse the blondest color they have I forget the number because I'm at work. It came out as a honey brown on my hair. I only dyed my bang area but I love it. So far I dont have any problem with dryness or anything negative with it. I already have new growth and plan to recolor in another 6 weeks.

BadMamaJama

I used Clairol Texturs and Tones in burgandy when I was natural. I'm relaxed now and I've experienced no breakage. It comes with a really great conditioner so my hair didn't feel dry when I was done. I used 2 boxes because it was my first time ever dying my hair and it came out really good. I was actually surprised that the color came out so well. It's now faded to a brown but I dyed it in Feb. It was burgandy for about 2 months.

PinkGirlFluff

Thank you! It was but I did have lighter ends from using African Pride highlighting kits previously. I think the African Pride product had bleach in it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I used dark and lovely blonde in december 12. The color didnt take like it did when I was relaxed. I ended up with dark auburn colored hair

November 13 I used dark and lovely racing red or something. It came out great. Nice shine, pretty color. I didnt experience bbreakge either time although dh overprocessed the back half of my hair. I thought it wpuld go faster if we worked as a team. He helped me last time too lol

faithVA

I dye my hair with a permanent color every 3 months. I am currently using Shea Moisture Medium Brown. Will try to stick with that one for a while.

kandake

I colored my hair for the first time last week. I used with Clairol Textures and Tones Silken Black based on reviews in this thread and a few reviews from various other places. They advertise it as moisture-rich and conditioning. I have to say that I totally agree. My hair felt great throughout the entire process. Especially after using the conditioner that came with the kit.

I hope I don't run into any problems later on. I'm taking extra precautions with moisturizing and conditioning my hair.

Last edited:

loved

I tried T&T right after I BCed to lighten my hair but it didn't take for me. The hair look lighter/highlighted in sunlighted but otherwise, my hair was still looked dark.

I use Natural Instincts black for gray coverage.

starfish79

I've used box color - I felt like it did the job. It made my hair very dry though and my scalp did not like the the included conditioner.

Going to try a "pro" color from Sally's next, hopefully it won't be as drying.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I haven't and probably never will. I'm worried about the long lasting effects and I didn't big chop to ruin my hair, but I definitely hate grey hair, so I'm looking for an Herbal solution. I did use an Herbal dye once that was really delightful. I don't think it was Henna per se, but it was a healthier alternative to boxed dye. I am dying it jet black. I know if I wanted lighter colors, then I'd probably have to go with box dye.

lovely_locks

I have. I go dark in the winter and light in the summer. I died my hair jet black and it was fine. I have to slowly go light with my hair. Since I died it black color doesn't really take. DO NOT USE COLORS WITH THE WORD BLONDE IN THEM!!! Those colors fry my ends. I just use the lightest brown I can until I get the color I want. I like garnier fructise (sp) the best.

melissa-bee

I used a jet black hair dye by Creme of Nature 2 weeks ago. It turned out fine. I needed two boxes and my hair is only CBL.
I've used the Softsheen and Carson and dark and Lovely to dye my hair a reddish colour before and it worked just as fine.