NATURALS: How do you moisturize?

NewYorkgyrl

Thank you for all of the responses!

i went to wal-mart last night and picked up some castor oil and a new spray bottle. Looks like now all i'm missing is some glycerine--which i'll pick up today. I'm going to try some bathroom chemistry to see if i can create my own moisturizer.

Trudy: I don't drink a lot of sodas or sugary juices. I'm mainly a water girl and I'm addicted to pure cranberry juice :lick: Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestion. I do have an affinity for Burger King thought i try to eat fresh fruit and veggies daily.

sweetwhispers: I'll have to look into that. This may be a silly question, but how can i tell if there are silicones? Like, what words should i look for?

Also, a lot of you ladies report using some sort of heavy cream/butter. I have QP mango butter (love the smell), but doesn't really do anything for me. it beaded up into itty bitty white granules on top of my hair. Maybe i'll have to revisit it.

Have you tried Miss Jessie's Baby Buttercreme. It is not cheap...but it damn sure says what is does MOISTURIZE!

morehairplease

I am in need of a moisturizer now, as well. Currently, I am using hawaiian silky 14 in 1 miracle worker but it is not really moisturizing for some reason:wallbash:

LongHairDreams

Ok, I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any more products for my hair. Well, I was in Walmart yesterday and decided to buy some Glycerin. I am so glad I did. I did a braid out the other day and it was dry. I sprayed some on this morning and my hair is so soft. I am amazed.

jtotheb

Ok, I told myself that I wasn't going to buy any more products for my hair. Well, I was in Walmart yesterday and decided to buy some Glycerin. I am so glad I did. I did a braid out the other day and it was dry. I sprayed some on this morning and my hair is so soft. I am amazed.

Shoot, i should have gotten some glycerin when i picked up my castor oil. I was shopping with my friend and when i told her i needed to pick up some castor oil and glycerin she was like "Girl, what are you doing? Making a bomb?" :look:

Glad it worked for you. I'm gonna get some too. and then i'm done.

nakialovesshoes

I have been struggling w/dryness issues myself. I was oiling & moisturizing & nothing seemed to help. So I PMed Sareca (one of the vets on here) & asked her advice. Here is her response:

It definitely moisturizes and seals my hair, but it's NOT a replacement for a good moisturizing DC.

Here are the products I use for intense moisture:
Aveda DR conditioner (not the treatment)
Aveda Brilliant conditioner
JOICO Intense Hydrator
Nexxus Humectress

Get any one of those and coat your hair when it's dry.
Saturate a small hand towel with water.
Put it in the microwave for 1 minute (it's gonna be really really hot!)
Wrap it around your hair (avoid your forehead and nape)
Wrap a (dry) bath towel over the top and leave it for 30 minutes.
Rinse
Coat your hair in your favorite oil
Rinse with warm water
Slightly towel dry
Massage in more of the same conditioner you used to DC.
Rinse with cold water
Towel dry
Style as usually.

Joico and Humectress are the least expensive
Aveda DR works the best.

Also if your hair isn't holding moisture it could need more protein.
Doesn't make any sense... I know.
Aveda DR treatment
Silicon Mix are my favs

Let me know if that helps... That usually stops all dryness of me and I have some seriously dry hair. :(

So Friday night I did an overnight prepoo & then yesterday I washed, did an Aphogee hard protein treatment & DCed w/Humectress (too cheap to buy the Aveda) in the manner she suggested above. And I noticed results immediately. Until I get my hair back in shape, I will be DCing using this method 3 times a week. HTH...

Ms Lala

I am in need of a moisturizer now, as well. Currently, I am using hawaiian silky 14 in 1 miracle worker but it is not really moisturizing for some reason:wallbash:

Sometimes when my products stop working I need to clarify my hair. WHen was the last time you clarified?

prettywhitty

I have been struggling w/dryness issues myself. I was oiling & moisturizing & nothing seemed to help. So I PMed Sareca (one of the vets on here) & asked her advice. Here is her response:

It definitely moisturizes and seals my hair, but it's NOT a replacement for a good moisturizing DC.

JOICO Intense Hydrator
Nexxus Humectress

Rinse
Rinse with warm water
Slightly towel dry
Rinse with cold water
Towel dry
Style as usually.

Aveda DR works the best.

Aveda DR treatment
Silicon Mix are my favs

Let me know if that helps... That usually stops all dryness of me and I have some seriously dry hair. :(

So Friday night I did an overnight prepoo & then yesterday I washed, did an Aphogee hard protein treatment & DCed w/Humectress (too cheap to buy the Aveda) in the manner she suggested above. And I noticed results immediately. Until I get my hair back in shape, I will be DCing using this method 3 times a week. HTH...

I've got the Aphoghee, I think I will invest in some Aveda and try that the next time I wash my hair.

bella gee

Has anyone (besides me) discovered Shea Moisture Leave-in?????

I too battled with dry hair and most leave-ins never moisturized as good as this one....its my Holy Grail product.!!!! Its soo rich and its THICK! i only use a quarter sized amount on my head. And its cone-free:grin:

And its inexpensive! Only$7 bucks! An you can purchase it online

I highly recommend it

AvaSpeaks

I swear by Neutrogena Triple Moisture. For both my leave-in and for co-washing with the Deep Recovery Mask.

The leave-in is great! I use it for everything; after co-washing, for my twist outs and and when I pull my hair into buns or ponytails. It really has helped my hair out because it's so dry.

Plus it feels so creamy too :yep:

Snuckles

JOICO Intense Hydrator
Nexxus Humectress

Rinse
Rinse with warm water
Slightly towel dry
Rinse with cold water
Towel dry
Style as usually.

Aveda DR works the best.

Aveda DR treatment
Silicon Mix are my favs

This is the best post!!! Thanks!!!

Snuckles

I must also 2nd, 3rd or 4th Qhemet's products!!!

I used to have problems with moisture as well until I discover this line of products. They are sooooo worth the $$$ and this is coming from someone that hates to order stuff from online!

JustKiya

Ooohweeee!! I tried the homemade Caramel treatment last night, and my hair is SOOO crazy soft and moisturized and SHINY and smooth - it's amazing. I'm kinda wondering exactly whose hair I have on my head right now... :lachen:

This is the recipie I used

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup red palm oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
3.5 oz banana baby food
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses

Put it all in the blender (I melted the solid oils), and apply to hair - that made enough for two treatments, so I put the other one in the freezer. I left it on for about 2-3 hours - FABULOUS! FABULOUS! I'm so in :love3: with this stuff right now.

starfish79

I mix Infusium 23/Giovanni Direct/water/glycerin* in a spray bottle and spritz all over after a wash. I'm trying lo-mani so I also use this to refresh my hair to keep the look going a few days. I use a shea butter/emu oil blend on the ends and edges when I bun.

*I know this is a lot of protein but my hair loves it. Plus with the added glycerin it seems to be the best mix for MY hair!

Fine 4s

Giovanni Direct and seal with either avocado butter or red palm butter. I moisturize most nights as well with a little Humectress.

I'm confused about the sealing part. How do you seal with a butter? I thought it was only oils? I've read some naturals put Shea or Ovocado butter as a moisturizer. Can these butters double up as both a sealant AND a moisturizer?

So confused :perplexed