Naturals - How do you Prepoo?

brownsugarflyygirl

What prepoo treatments work best for you?
Please include details...products, refrigerator stuff (eggs, avocado, etc.) oils, heat, length of time kept on, plastic cap, etc.

How long you have been doing that prepoo treatment? What long term benefits have you seen?

Thanks ladies...hopefully this info will help other newly naturals like me and transitioners.

I pre-poo with OliveYou! Deep conditioner from myhoneychild.com. I have been doing this for several months and I don't see any benefits, I just do it.

I pre-poo with castor oil. I dampen my hair and rub castor oil on the scalp and on the ends, put on a plastic cap for 20 minutes, then shampoo an condition. My hair and ends use to be very dry. This treatment helps with dryness, and makes the hair soft.

Right now, I use any old conditioner, an nearly equal amount of honey or molasses, essential oil(s), and some MSM powder. I put a lot of it on dry hair, cover with plastic cap, cover that with a very cheap heat cap, and leave it on for as long as possible or overnight. This also serves as my deep conditioning treatment.

Lately I've been doing a prepoo with a couple of tablespoons of Queen Helene Cholesterol, one egg and a capful of olive oil. I was have shedding issues for several months, they subsided and returned. I've tried this for the last 6 weeks and it has stopped the shedding dead in its tracks. I leave this mixture on for 2 hours with a plastic cap, no heat.

brownsugarflyygirl said:
What prepoo treatments work best for you?
Please include details...products, refrigerator stuff (eggs, avocado, etc.) oils, heat, length of time kept on, plastic cap, etc.

How long you have been doing that prepoo treatment? What long term benefits have you seen?

Thanks ladies...hopefully this info will help other newly naturals like me and transitioners.

When I do remember to prepoo, I just wet my hair a little and use a cheap moisturizing conditioner. Then I detangle my hair thoroughly. My prepoo's are more for detangling then anything else. I detangle with a shower comb and put a plastic cap over my head. No set amt of time to leave it on, just until I'm ready to shower.

This really helps me out when washing my hair in the shower. I do this beforehand so my hair is already detangled. I prepoo, then do a shampoo and conditioner. By detangling my hair beforehand I don't have to step out of the shower to detangle while conditioner is in my hair. This saves me time. And $$ too actually, cause the 2nd conditioner is usually a more expensive product (right now I have Jessicurl and Phyto products).

I've only been doing this for a couple of months but I like it :)

I have many different pre-poos that I use.

Most Often:
Honey, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Soybean Oil mix. I just mix them all together, no specific measurements and apply to 5 sections of hair. Put on a plastic cap and let it sit for at least 2 hours.

Sometimes:
Mayo, 1 egg, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, Castor Oil, or Olive Oil. I mix these to desired consistency and apply same as above.

Rarely:
I use Lustrasilk Cholesteral alone sometimes, it's a really good conditioner and it's cheap!!!

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I pre-poo with OliveYou! Deep conditioner from myhoneychild.com. I have been doing this for several months and I don't see any benefits, I just do it.

I'm sorry but that's just:lachen::lachen::lachen:
For my pre-poos I use olive oil & honey. I've been doing them off and on since I went natural a year ago...I keep telling myself the benefits are on the microscopic level. I'm going to stop doing them though just to see what happens since I don't see any benefits either. I guess my hair is more moisturized:look:

I usually prepoo everyother week on my wash which r sundays days bc i clarify every other week. I usally use suave or lutrasilk cholesteral with olive oil or africas best oil. I put it on my hair(alot of conditioner) with the oil in the morning, detangle it with wide comb(my hair is usually not tangle cuz i co wash during the week and just bun) and put up in a shower cap and just go about doing whatever. Then rinse it out and shampoo and conitioner within a couple of ours. Prepoo alows my hair to stay moisturized after i shampoo which tends to dry my hair. Then follow conditioner.

I prepoo with Africa's Best Ultimate Oil and Suave Conditioner. I apply this to 4 damp sections of hair and let it sit fir 15-30 minutes w/plastic cap and w/out heat. I use to use Africa's Best oil w/Qhemet Heavy Creme, but the heavy cream I think the cream is too expensive for pre-poo use for me. I have been pre-pooing for almost a year and I will continue to do it. It helps w/detangling and I save more hair this way

I pre-poo with about 3/4-1 cup of Dove or some other cheap conditioner that I warm up in the microwave, detangle into 4 plaits, then I cover with a shower cap for 10-15 minutes or so. I don't pre-poo anymore though.

Last edited:
Back