Naturals: how often do you clarify & with what?

Once a month. Either with Suave clarifying (if REALLY dirty) or baking soda and acv rinse after.

The BEST thing for my scalp is that Shikaikai powder thing from the Indian store. Man, that stuff is a dirt-buster for real. It's the only thing I use on my scalp that takes away all the gunk- like magic! Don't get that stuff in your eye though, take my word for it :nono:.

Whenever needed...that could be once a month or every six weeks. Sometimes I do it when I'm switching conditioners or right before a protein treatment. I use Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo...it's less harsh than Suave and Kenra (both of which I've tried in the past) and it has chelating ingredients as well. It also contains salicylic acid which exfoliates the scalp. If you have problems getting your scalp clean you can also try a shampoo brush (the ones with the rounded tips are better but they don't last very long).

I use ACV or white vinegar to clarify now that I only use shampoo bars. I wash my hair every other day and do the vinegar thing once a week at least. I don't really need to clarify since I don't use conditioner anymore. When I did I never bothered to clarify because I alternated between using sulfate and sulfate free shampoo on an every other day Basis. I also never use moisturizer or gel so the only thing that I used that could cause build up was hair serums. But the cones can be removed by regular sulfate shampoos. Lastly I don't currently use the vinegar to clarify. I use it to lower the pH of my hair because shampoo bars tend to have a very high pH (alkaline) which raises the cuticle and causes her to feel dry, tangly and rough.

Last edited:
I use the ORS Aloe Shampoo too. I clarify about once every two weeks or so. I use conditioners with cones for my co-washing so I like to know I'm getting rid of that buildup on a more regular basis.

I didn't feel that I needed to clarify my hair until this summer.
I 'clarify' with Garnier Fructis Pure Clean shampoo once a month. I dilute it with water (1 part shampoo to 4 parts waters) in an color applicator bottle. I never use true clarifying shampoos because even regular sulfate shampoos can be too much for my hair.

I hadn't clarified in almost a year and half, I used to clarify once a month. I found some Braggs ACV and clarified a few days ago and my hair and scalp feel amazing, my scalp felt super clean and my hair was so soft and fluffy. I forgot how clarifying really makes a difference for my hair. My products absorb so much better now. I'm going to do this once a month again.

I just use any sulfate shampoo about once every 2 or 3 weeks. I like to start with a clean slate when I deep condition. I pay too much for my dc's to not have them penetrate.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I only clarify at the salon. Usually the first lather is a clarifying shampoo and the next lather is a moisturizing or strengthening shampoo. I only go to the salon every couple of months these days so I am in desperate need of a good clarifying poo. I just bought Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo and I will use it either today or Sunday. It depends on how I feel after I run 50 eleven errands. After I wash I am going to follow up with Loreal total repair 5 damage erasing balm. It seems like a good balance of protein, moisture and ceramides.

ORS aloe shampoo is my clarifying shampoo. I don't clarify once a month like I use to, more like whenever my hair feels buildup.

Same shampoo and whenever I feel my hair has buildup. When relaxed, my hair hated this shampoo but now as a natural, this shampoo makes my hair soft.

I clarify every time I wash my hair. Co-washes don't work too well for me due to I get buildup really easy. When I don't feel like using ACV to clarify, I apply a cheap conditioner (currently using bath and body works eucalyptus conditioner) and then apply shea moisture shea shampoo on my scalp.

I've been clarifying w/every wash using clay due to product build up, especially if I'm using KCKT and KCCC. Now that I'm hitting the gym 3xs per week, I'm not sure I can put it off.

I have very fine, low porosity hair and although I use natural/botanical products mostly, I get build up easily. I clay cleanse twice a week and clarify with Redken cleansing cream as needed which means when my hair starts to misbehave for no apparent reason at all. The Redken chelating/clarifying cleansing cream is somehow very moisturizing, I love it!

We have hard water so I have a shower filter. I clarify/chelate with ors shampoo. Works like a charm.
I only do this as needed since I don't use heavy product. Really maybe 4-6x per year

Usually once a month, I've been using a herbal essence shampoo, but it makes my hair frizzy whether it's diluted or not

Back