Naturals: I have a question about shedding

Dellas

I have been natural for a year. My hair is growing wild in areas. My top and sides have bald spots.

I realize that I concentrate my brushing on the top with a natural bush and I sleep on my side so that could be the reason for the breakage.

Could someone offer product suggestion for keeping a growing fro healthy?

I just brought a pick and was amazed at how little breakage I had with a pick and afro sheen than a comb or brush.

Any other tips?

Last edited:
Tell us about your hair.

How long is it? What's your reggie? How much hair are you seeing in your brush.

The reason I ask is that I learned this year that a lot of relaxed and natural heads don't comb or brush their hair except maybe once a week or month. I decided to try this and it is a success for me.

My hair is 4CZ and I rarely comb my hair. I BC'd Apr 2010 and it's 4". I finger comb to remove shed hair, to detangle and to style.

It feels funny at 1st but try finger combing to detangle, comb and style your hair.

The technique I use to detangle my hair before washing is to add oil to my hair and finger-detangle. I then sit under the steamer for a 15min hot oil treatment.

Shampoo hair. Rinse.

Apply DC (which I add hempseed, coffee, primrose, red raspberry oils). DCs I use are Hairveda's Sitrinillah, Shescentit's Banana Brulee, Beemine's BEEUTIFUL DC, Myhoneychild Honey Mask, SO Deep, Shea Moisture. The oils in the DC will make any tangles or mats melt away.

DC under steamer btwn 15 min - 1 hr.

Rinse. Apply leave-in. My faves are Darcy's Botanicals, Christine Gant detangling milk, KBB hair milk (it's called something else now), Komaza's Califia, Oyin's Whipped Pudding.

Add styling product and twist. I lose minimal hair and those hairs I believe are shed hair.

I wanted to add that earlier this year I bought some bone combs and picks. I rarely use them now. The only time I use the combs is when I do a henna treatment.

Sorry for the novel but I hope this answers your question and helps some.

Good luck on your journey.

Tell us about your hair.

How long is it? What's your reggie? How much hair are you seeing in your brush.

The reason I ask is that I learned this year that a lot of relaxed and natural heads don't comb or brush their hair except maybe once a week or month. I decided to try this and it is a success for me.

My hair is 4CZ and I rarely comb my hair. I BC'd Apr 2010 and it's 4". I finger comb to remove shed hair, to detangle and to style.

It feels funny at 1st but try finger combing to detangle, comb and style your hair.

The technique I use to detangle my hair before washing is to add oil to my hair and finger-detangle. I then sit under the steamer for a 15min hot oil treatment.

Shampoo hair. Rinse.

Apply DC (which I add hempseed, coffee, primrose, red raspberry oils). DCs I use are Hairveda's Sitrinillah, Shescentit's Banana Brulee, Beemine's BEEUTIFUL DC, Myhoneychild Honey Mask, SO Deep, Shea Moisture. The oils in the DC will make any tangles or mats melt away.

DC under steamer btwn 15 min - 1 hr.

Rinse. Apply leave-in. My faves are Darcy's Botanicals, Christine Gant detangling milk, KBB hair milk (it's called something else now), Komaza's Califia, Oyin's Whipped Pudding.

Add styling product and twist. I lose minimal hair and those hairs I believe are shed hair.

I wanted to add that earlier this year I bought some bone combs and picks. I rarely use them now. The only time I use the combs is when I do a henna treatment.

Sorry for the novel but I hope this answers your question and helps some.

Good luck on your journey.

This is not my first time BCing but I can't remember having this much trouble the first time. I think the first time, I wore braids until my hair was of the length that I could twists. When I wore twists, I had no problems.

The background: I think all my relaxed ends are cut. I do have some straight pieces but I think it is because of the different textures and also my use of henna. I used henna when I BC'ed to make my hair stronger. It made it drier.
I haven't been wearing a scarf over my head at night because I said .."hey, I am natural".

I wash my hair twice a week or so, no vits (although, I am going to start), I am anemic...that's why I am natural, I am a product-aholic: I have almost every fad product ever mentioned on this site: Dominican conditioners and Shampoos, Nexxus, Elucence products, MTG, etc...
I tried the yeast creme on my bald areas and I think it made it worse not better. I only used it for about a week and had headaches. I got scared and had to stop.

I really don't have a regimen but I would like Naturals to post theirs. Right now, the only thing that has worked is this pick (with the fist clutched ...the 70's style pic) and afrosheen.

Last edited:
I would stop brushing. I have not brushed my hair since I was relaxed. I smooth my hair with my fingers, use some kind of holding product and put a satin scarf on top to smooth it down. I wear it overnight or while I am getting ready. Brushing is the devil.

Regimen
I shampoo and DC my hair every Sunday and then rollerset. I shampoo currently with Shescentit Mint Shampoo and DC with AOHSR or Jessi Curl WDT for 30 min under my steamer. I do a protein treatment with Dudley DRC-28 every 6-8 weeks. If I do a protein treatment I will do it and then DC.

Then I detangle with my modified Denman which I took 3 rows out of, using Hairveda's Moist 24/7. I leave that in and rollerset. I sit under my Pibbs for 90 minutes. I bun for 3-4 days then do a braidout using a little bit of KBB hair milk or KCKT to moisten my hair and I comb out my hair with my fingers. I do 4-6 braids and use Satin Rollers and the ends. I wear a braid out for 2-3 days. I rebraid if needed. Then I Repeat.

Last edited:
Regimen
I shampoo and DC my hair every Sunday and then rollerset. I shampoo currently with Shescentit Mint Shampoo and DC with AOHSR or Jessi Curl WDT for 30 min under my steamer. I do a protein treatment with Dudley DRC-28 every 6-8 weeks. If I do a protein treatment I will do it and then DC.

Then I detangle with my modified Denman which I took 3 rows out of, using Hairveda's Moist 24/7. I leave that in and rollerset. I sit under my Pibbs for 90 minutes. I bun for 3-4 days then do a braidout using a little bit of KBB hair milk or KCKT to moisten my hair and I comb out my hair with my fingers. I do 4-6 braids and use Satin Rollers and the ends. I wear a braid out for 2-3 days. I rebraid if needed. Then I Repeat.

Thanks!!! You hair is beautiful BTW.

This is not my first time BCing but I can't remember having this much trouble the first time. I think the first time, I wore braids until my hair was of the length that I could twists. When I wore twists, I had no problems.

The background: I think all my relaxed ends are cut. I do have some straight pieces but I think it is because of the different textures and also my use of henna. I used henna when I BC'ed to make my hair stronger. It made it drier.
I haven't been wearing a scarf over my head at night because I said .."hey, I am natural".

I wash my hair twice a week or so, no vits (although, I am going to start), I am anemic...that's why I am natural, I am a product-aholic: I have almost every fad product ever mentioned on this site: Dominican conditioners and Shampoos, Nexxus, Elucence products, MTG, etc...
I tried the yeast creme on my bald areas and I think it made it worse not better. I only used it for about a week and had headaches. I got scared and had to stop.

I really don't have a regimen but I would like Naturals to post theirs. Right now, the only thing that has worked is this pick (with the fist clutched ...the 70's style pic) and afrosheen.

Henna is the best thing for my hair. I have no drying issues 'cause I recognize my hair needs moisture, moisture, moisture. I henna once a week or at least every other week without fail. And I ALWAYS follow up with a DCing steam treatment. I get perfect, moisturized and soft hair every time. Before I got my steamer, I would DC overnight with a plastic cap.

There are some wonderful threads about baggying every night to retain moisture and using the "juice" and baggying.

Also, I found some threads on anemia and hair loss/thinning hair. These are two; there are about 20 otheres. I did a search on "Anemia", search titles.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/358767-there-anyone-who-thinks-anemia-cause-thinning-hair.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/434062-***official-thread-combating-anemia-slow-growers-support-challenge***.html

HTH

I have been natural for a year.

I have been natural for over a year also, and although I am still learning and wish my hair would grow faster, my hair is much better than when I started my hair journey. I take vitamins, and I at times use castor oil on my scalp. I also make a rosewater and glycerin mix and spray my hair with it daily, and then seal with oil. Right now I am sealing with shea butter and I think it really keeps the moisture in. I had a lot of breakage when I first began and now I am finally starting to be happy with my hair, and I tried a lot of different things like you. But I am gonna stick with the vitamins and the glycerin and rosewater and shea butter.

11-16-2010.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
Back