Naturals: M&T Cond and CON Cond questions

Charla

Naturals, can you answer these questions? As a relaxed teen I used to use Main and Tail shampoo and conditioner (not regularly), but I never really noticed any extra growth -- never paid attention to growth -- and it seems like that's what most people rave about.

Q#1 -- Is this conditioner ok to use for cowashing? Has it really led to increased growth (as relaxed or natural?)
Q#2 -- If I want to use it for growth, is it necessary to use the shampoo and cond. together?
Q#3 -- As naturals, I know we don't have to use as much protein. Could using the cond. for cowashing possibly lead to protein overload?

Also as a relaxed child my mom used to use Creme of Nature shampoo and cond and it made our hair feel like silk!

Q#4 -- Is the new Creme of Nature Argon oil as good?
Q#5 -- Are naturals using this with good results?
Q#6 -- Can this be used for cowashing?

Thanks for your help. Currently I cowash with VO5. It's blaaah! When I shampoo I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk. It's also blaaah!

MilkChocolateOne

Products do not make your hair grow. The right products can aid in retention(in other words keeping the hair that you are constantly growing from breaking off at the same rate that it grows). The "right" products depends on how your hair reacts to them. Since hair is unique to each individual the only way to find the "right" products for your own head is through trial and error.

Charla

Products do not make your hair grow. The right products can aid in retention(in other words keeping the hair that you are constantly growing from breaking off at the same rate that it grows). The "right" products depends on how your hair reacts to them. Since hair is unique to each individual the only way to find the "right" products for your own head is through trial and error.

Thanks. Of course everything you stated I'm aware of. And I believe some products do aid in growth. I'd like other's opinions on their use of these products.

NikkiQ

I used M&T condish soon after my chop for cowashing and it worked fine for the first month or so, but after that it left my hair feeling and looking a little lackluster. My curls had no shine, they weren't very soft anymore. I didn't know which product I was using that caused it so after experimenting with other conditioners, I realized it was the M&T. I also had the shampoo...HORRIBLE!!! Well at least for me it was. I did weekly moisturizing DCs to combat the protein, but it still didn't work.

choctaw

I use M&T conditioner for co-washing and mixed the last bottle with Skala aloe vera conditioner. I use Giovanni SAS shampoo mixed with CON shampoo because it was a bit drying. I found all of these items worked well with oil pre-poo. The conditioners worked well with oil rinses.

Charla

I use M&T conditioner for co-washing and mixed the last bottle with Skala aloe vera conditioner. I use Giovanni SAS shampoo mixed with CON shampoo because it was a bit drying. I found all of these items worked well with oil pre-poo. The conditioners worked well with oil rinses.

Thanks. I think that's the problem I'm having with the Giovanni too, that it seems drying.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I use M&T for co-washing from time to time (for that protein boost) because it keeps my hair from breaking. I like it fairly well. Helps with retention but not a growth aide ya know? I don't use the M&T shampoo at all. I use Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo. Not sure if you could get protein overload from M&T. I don't..... but you could always alternate between it and a moisturizing one.

I've only used the CON Argan DC and it worked ok for me but fantastically for my mom.

lana

I attribute my length and retention to using mane & tail conditioner (not the shampoo) as my pre-poo and leave in.

I use a moisturizing conditioner as my deep conditioner. But mane & tail is my staple product and it works for my hair. :) I hope this helps.

Charla

I attribute my length and retention to using mane & tail conditioner (not the shampoo) as my pre-poo and leave in.

I use a moisturizing conditioner as my deep conditioner. But mane & tail is my staple product and it works for my hair. :) I hope this helps.

It certainly does help! I would have never thought to use it as a prepoo!

Charla

I used M&T condish soon after my chop for cowashing and it worked fine for the first month or so, but after that it left my hair feeling and looking a little lackluster. My curls had no shine, they weren't very soft anymore. I didn't know which product I was using that caused it so after experimenting with other conditioners, I realized it was the M&T. I also had the shampoo...HORRIBLE!!! Well at least for me it was. I did weekly moisturizing DCs to combat the protein, but it still didn't work.

Thanks, NikkiQ. This also reminds me to only make 1 change at a time so I can determine how it's really affecting my hair.

choconillaprincess

i am a huge m&t(moisturizing texturizing conditioner or whatever it's called) fan... i cowash with it and use it as a leave-in and sometimes apply it to my ends at night before i baggy...i think it keeps my hair super strong... but i also use suave humectant religiously... for me the two together (alternating days or using both whatever i feel like my hair needs that day) are a winning duo... they are the only 2 products that i have kept using through the years... sometimes i have to take a few days off from the m&t because of too much protein but then i just cowash and leave-in the suave humectant and when i go to use the m&t it's once again miraculous! love it but i guess it's not for everyone... my hair seems to really like protein(the suave humectant also has a bi of protein) but some people's hair can't handle too much

as far as the con... i used to use it all the time and i thought it was awesome but stopped using it when they changed it... wasn't the same...

Charla

Thanks for the details! choconillaprincess !
It's giving me something to really think about because I think my hair does good with a light protein treatment 2x monthly like I do now with ORS. M&T as a daily cowash might end up being too much protein if I don't keep it balanced.