"Naturals": Straight hair, No Heat...possible?????

Peachtree

\"Naturals\": Straight hair, No Heat...possible?????

Hey ladies,

Sum of u may already know that I'm flirting with the idea of transitioning. (it's in the pre, pre, pre stages though).

Here's my question... (it may b kinda' DUMB
so please excuse me)...

For natural sistas, Is it possible to get a "straight hair" style WITHOUT using heat? Like air drying in a ponytail or bun? I know "straight hair" can be achieved with a flat iron, but are there other "no heat" ways as well?

(Just in case i get tired of my "curly" do ...)

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Re: \"Naturals\": Straight hair, No Heat...possible?????

I can't. I have 4a hair with 4b hair over my ears. My hair isn't very thick or bulky. I can get it to lay down and it's easy to straighten when I use a flat iron (I think my henna treatments have helped a lot). But when I air dry using Carolyn Gray's ponytail method, my hair looks like a flatter version of an afro that was straightened w/ a blow dryer with a comb attachment.

Kind of like the pictures of Pam Grier and Lisa Nicole Carson in the "What celeb has your hair?" thread, but with less of an east/west thing...

Peachtree

Thanks Sassygirl.

I saw Lisa Nicole's & Pam's pics, so I know exactly what ur referring to.

So I guess, this (straight hair / no heat) may not be achievable
. Hmm
thinking... If i do decide upon this, I'll prolly experiment on my hair everyday, trying to get it straight without using heat
. I'm having a ton of fun experimenting / learning about my hair.

Thanks again luv

sweetcocoa

The only way I could do it is air dry a rollerset and then wrap it.

NAY007

hmmm, well when i airdry my hair in a bun the front will come out completely straight, but the rest of the hair would take too long to dry that way. i could also wrap it and it would come out straight, but it would take too much time to dry. i have 3b/c hair.

Peachtree

Ok.....wow, this is like a whole new *exciting* world to me. I feel like a child finding a basket of candy

Sweetcocoa, airdry on rollers then wrap
It's so simple now!!! My mind just didn't think of that
. THAT WILL WORK... which means i'd have to learn how to wrap

Nay, r u transitioning by wearing ur 2 single braids primarily, then trimming as u go? Just curious of your method.... thanks luv

ComfortablyNumb

Sometimes I smooth my hair back in two pony tails and twist them around into a mini buns/bantu knots sort of thing. I don't end up with bone straight hair but I end up with big waves that are pretty straight. It takes forever to dry depending on how wet your hair is when you put it up, but it may be worth a try on a lazy day.

joyous

Peachtree, its possible to get your hair pretty straight airdrying. I have natural 4a hair on most of my head and 3c on the crown. When I use the ex-large magnetic rollers the hair on my crown is completely straight and the rest or my hair is pretty straight also. Like Sweetcocoa said you can wrap after that and girl the hair looks good. Usually I don't even wrap it afterwards but if you want that extra smoothness it works. Also since your hair is healthy this will probably work for you. I notice the healthier my hair becomes the better results you get with this method. You might want to use some serum before you roll so the hair doesn't revert.

Peachtree

Thanks for posting joyous

I've only used a serum once on my relaxed hair. When I gain more new growth, i'm gonna use it again (on the newgrowth) to see what results i get.

I love having options... this is really inspiring

sweetcocoa

When you do the roller set use a straightening balm like KMS Flatout. I also smoothed some over my hair(followed by a light oil like jojoba to keep my hair from feeling dry)before wrapping it. Be careful though because the KMS is expensive.

G

I don't know of a way, when I was natural I had to use the heat.

But here's my thinking Girlie. If youn gonna want it straight, why go Natural?

Secondly, I've seen your pic's and GIIRRRRL you gonna have a 6 ft tall afro. DO NOT sit in front of me in the movies ok....

ngaa

i'm currently natural and was lookin for ways to straighten my hair without heat coz the roller thing dont work on my hair (4b) anyway, what i've been doin lately is washing my hair and then takin some wool and twirlign it around my hair all the way to the ends in sections. This forces my hair to dry wen it pulled straight and wen its dry if i take the wool off then i have straight hair without haivin to use heat. Ima try to add a pic in my folder tonite so u understand what i mean.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

[ QUOTE ]
Ima try to add a pic in my folder tonite so u understand what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do. I would like to see this!

NAY007

peachtree,

yes, usually after i wash and condition, i apply my LUST, some oil, then gel, and then i put it in two braids, one braid or a bun. sometimes i use a blowdrier and diffuse my hair so i can wear it curly. when i wanna blow dry it and wear it straight i use the same method as before. let it airdry in a bun so the front part dries straight. then i use a big round brush on the rest of my hair. but my hair hasn't been blow dried straight in about 5 months now. but you're right, the pocahontas braids are my signature hairstyle:)

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ima try to add a pic in my folder tonite so u understand what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do. I would like to see this!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto!

ngaa

sassygirl and sweetcocoa my camera's actin up so i cant post the pics but do u kno how the girl in common's video come close?? well she has the style i'm talkin bout in the front except that its lyin down but thats the exact style i meant.

Peachtree

Thanks for the product rec SweetC. But girl, I'm "hair cheap"
! Expensive products & my wallet don't get along
!

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know of a way, when I was natural I had to use the heat.

But here's my thinking Girlie. If youn gonna want it straight, why go Natural?

Secondly, I've seen your pic's and GIIRRRRL you gonna have a 6 ft tall afro. DO NOT sit in front of me in the movies ok....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mindymouse,

"....straight, y go Natural?" Not straight all of the time luv, just some of the time. Like now I have a relaxer (straight hair), but I wear it curly or wavy about 50% of the time. My relaxer doesn't limit me to just "straight hair"... i'm just lining up my options (based on others experiences) to understand that my natural hair wouldn't limit me to just "curly hair" either. .... and if i could still have just as many options with "air drying" then that's even better

The movies crack was funny
. I've had "big bouncy hair" (thick) all of my life. I was called "Diana" & "Chaka"
in grade school. I wasn't sure whether to get upset or become flattered. I'm gonna try to find sum pics (& post to my album) b4 my relaxer.

ThursdayGirl

Re: \"Naturals\": Straight hair, No Heat...possible?

Hey Peachtree!

Your new growth looks like my Mom's...same color and everything. She's pretty much natural. She may get a relaxer applied around her hairline once a year to keep the frizz down in the summer when she swims...but more often than not she doesn't. It works well for her. Mostly she presses her hair with an electric hot comb... or her hair dresser uses marcels on it. It looks like she has a perm when she (or the hair dresser) does it. She also uses a blow dryer to dry her hair though
... but doesn't seem to cause much damage (she does it once a week).

I think you would do well with a natural! Good luck with your decision.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Peachtree!

Your new growth looks like my Mom's...same color and everything. She's pretty much natural. She may get a relaxer applied around her hairline once a year to keep the frizz down in the summer when she swims...but more often than not she doesn't. It works well for her. Mostly she presses her hair with an electric hot comb... or her hair dresser uses marcels on it. It looks like she has a perm when she (or the hair dresser) does it. She also uses a blow dryer to dry her hair though

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Thursdaygirl

I'm willing to bet that ur mom's hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm not too afraid of heat on my natural hair...back in the day, my mom pressed it with a warm comb a lot to tone it down a bit or else she would blow dry it. It seemed to never break... it just kept getting longer & stronger
. Let me try to use a blow dryer now on relaxed hair.... I'll end up with brittle looking strands

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
i'm currently natural and was lookin for ways to straighten my hair without heat coz the roller thing dont work on my hair (4b) anyway, what i've been doin lately is washing my hair and then takin some wool and twirlign it around my hair all the way to the ends in sections. This forces my hair to dry wen it pulled straight and wen its dry if i take the wool off then i have straight hair without haivin to use heat. Ima try to add a pic in my folder tonite so u understand what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ngaa, b careful with wool luv. Many moons ago I had a wool winter coat with a high neck. That darn thing "CUT" tons of hair from the back of my head. I think it was cuz the hair constantly rubbed up against it. Just be careful with wool

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
peachtree,

yes, usually after i wash and condition, i apply my LUST, some oil, then gel, and then i put it in two braids, one braid or a bun. sometimes i use a blowdrier and diffuse my hair so i can wear it curly. when i wanna blow dry it and wear it straight i use the same method as before. let it airdry in a bun so the front part dries straight. then i use a big round brush on the rest of my hair. but my hair hasn't been blow dried straight in about 5 months now. but you're right, the pocahontas braids are my signature hairstyle:)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nay, thanks for going into details

Ur "pocahontas" braids are so adorable
Sumtimes I airdry in that style then un-braid for a different look

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Peachtree!

[/ QUOTE ]
I never thought about just relaxing the hair line..that's where most of my frizz is. I'll have to keep this in mind, because right now I'm thinking about only relaxing my entire head once a year(IN THE SPRING BEFORE IT GETS HUMID). I remember doing that years ago...and I don't recall having any problems...I'll see.
Also the blowdryer probably is not as hard on natural hair because it is stronger...more to think about....(sigh)

ngaa

k, so i finally have pics of how i straighten my hair without heat with the wool method...peachtree great point about the wool thing and i never thot about it coz all this time, thats the method i use to dry my hair and i gess its coz the wool dont move coz i havent been experiencin any breakage as a result.

pics (saved in hair journey as thread pics)

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bombabeuk

Peachtree

Thanks for sharing ur pics with us
. Ur twists look like thick "mini ropes"... they are too cute
. (day dreaming ....one day i'll have sum "natural" twists too... *exhaling*
)

BTW, ur really pretty in the twist out *smiley* pic

Mufasa

Hi Peachtree,

Unfortunately, the only way I can get straight hair is with blow dryer
or a press. I don't know of a way to do do it without heat
But then again, that is my hair ...

ngaa

peachtree the twist pics were the first time i'd ever twisted my hair and if u look at the pic for the back there's a massive part that wasnt supposed to be there but practise makes perfect u kno?