Can you get your hair straight without heat?

pookeylou

When I relaxed I would blow dry my hair. Then bump it with a curling iron. I would wrap my hair at night and wear the straight style for about a week and then wash it and start all over again.

For those who relax but do not use heat...how do you get your hair straight?

As a natural child, my mom would roller set my hair and let it air dry for a day or so. My hair would not be straight but even curls. My thought is depending on how big the rollers are, if a natural used and anti-humectant conditioner or leave in along with anti-frizz treatments and then roller set thier hair on large rollers, then wrap their hair after it was dry, sleeping on it overnight, you could get a straight look without heat. That's a lot of work to get straight hair, but if it was for a change up now and then, it could work and you would not have used heat.

For those who are natural but do not use heat...is it possible to get your hair as straight as you would if you were relaxed? What was your method for getting that look without heat?

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I'd like to know, but I don't it's even possible.

I really want my hair curled with rollers for christmas, but my aunt says she will have to press the new growth to get it to lie down.

Look forward to reading replies.

x

candibaby

A rollerset followed by a doobie results in straight hair with a bounce for me.. but if you're talking about when I'm past 8wks post? Impossible to get the roots straight without heat.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
I don't think I could get my hair as straight as it was when it was relaxed because my hair is REALLY curly..and when I relaxed.. it was BONE, POKER STRAIGHT!!! I'm not sure if I'll ever use heat again.. maybe if it was a special occasion.. but I would have it done.. prolly not do it myself... When I did relaxed.. I had no idea that you weren't suppose to make it super straight.. :ahwell:

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
candibaby said:
A rollerset followed by a doobie results in straight hair with a bounce for me.. but if you're talking about when I'm past 8wks post? Impossible to get the roots straight without heat.
okay..what's a doobie? I only know what a doobie is in non-hair terms..:lol:

Isis

I do not use heat at all. My hair isn't relaxed straight to begin with (on purpose) but to get my hair "straighter" I rollerset my hair and airdry it overnight. To straighten, the magnetic rollers need to be as large as possible for the length of hair used. Too small rollers will end up curling the hair. These magnetic rollers are what smooths out the hair.

I then usually braid it after airdrying for a loose braidout style or make an updo. If I knew how to wrap my hair, I may be able to get it straighter after the rollerset for a doobie.

@ Rushgirl - a doobie in this case is a rollerset followed by wrapping the hair, for a smooth, sleek look.

Last edited:

Isis

candibaby said:
The thread on ponytail rollersetting (I bumped it recently) is what helps get the roots straight without heat. It's true that it's more challenging post relaxer as weeks go by. But the ponytail method really makes a difference since the ponytail holders (never use rubber bands) pulls the roots taut and let them dry straight.

Ayeshia

I know I cant, but since Im not a fan of bone straight hair anyway, getting it straight is not a big deal as it used to be :)

SouthernGirl

My hair (unfortunately) is way too straight. I relax that way and didn't know any better prior to coming here :(.

Anyway, it's a blessing in disguise because I don't have to use heat ever to get it straight. All I have to do is wash, let it air-dry, put some oil on it (peferably WGO), tie a satin scarf around it and let the back hang out so the front gets flat, then put a satin bonnet over it and go to bed. When I put the bonnet on, I sort of fold the back over to the side and when I wake up, no matter how badly I've selpt, it has a nice little bend in it- not super-straight- like I did it with a curling iron.

I could also wrap it when it's ar-dried, but I don't like all that combing.

SG

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
candibaby said:
a doobie is a wrap.
Okay..uh.. what's a wrap.. lol when people talk about wrapping their head in a scarf or something before they go to bed??? Is that it?? Sorry I just have no idea..lol

TigerLily

A wrap is like what Aaliyah wears, Rush. A doobie is when the hair is set on rollers, then when it's dry, the rollers or taken out and the hair is wrapped around the head and the client is put under the dryer like that for about 10-15min. The result is a nice bouncy wrap with body! A plain wrap is the same, minus the rollers.

To answer the original question, heck no! :lol: I need serious heat to get my hair anywhere close to straight!

NAY007

In my opinion it is possible to get straight hair without using heat but I can only speak for my hair. But I would never ever attempt to do that because I have way too much hair and it would take too long to leave it in rollers or in a wrap.
I rather blow dry until my hair is about 80% dry and then I use a round brush. The heat doesn't bother me at all anymore. I think you should only be concerned about using heat if your hair is damaged or super fragile. Otherwise, if you have healthy hair blowdrying it once a week shouldn't damage it if you condition it all the time and take care of it.

NGC

NAY007 said:
In my opinion it is possible to get straight hair without using heat but I can only speak for my hair. But I would never ever attempt to do that because I have way too much hair and it would take too long to leave it in rollers or in a wrap.
I rather blow dry until my hair is about 80% dry and then I use a round brush. The heat doesn't bother me at all anymore. I think you should only be concerned about using heat if your hair is damaged or super fragile. Otherwise, if you have healthy hair blowdrying it once a week shouldn't damage it if you condition it all the time and take care of it.
I've done a rollerset with no heat and gotten my hair relatively straight, bouffant big time, but straight.

sylver2

My hair is thick but I love the bone straight thin look and wear that. The Doobie.
I have been wrapping my hair for 16 years.
I wash, blow dry or roller set and wrap. Wrap every night w/ satin scarf
It stays straight until touchup.
In my avatar is how straight I like to wear it from wrapping.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
TigerLily said:
A wrap is like what Aaliyah wears, Rush. A doobie is when the hair is set on rollers, then when it's dry, the rollers or taken out and the hair is wrapped around the head and the client is put under the dryer like that for about 10-15min. The result is a nice bouncy wrap with body! A plain wrap is the same, minus the rollers.

To answer the original question, heck no! :lol: I need serious heat to get my hair anywhere close to straight!
Ooooooooooh..I get it now.. thanks for clearing that up for me!!!!!

PhonyBaloney500

I'm natural and I've done big rollers--it's SORT of straight but the roots are kind of wavy and crinkly. I wouldn't wear it out, lets put it that way. ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
SouthernGirl said:
My hair (unfortunately) is way too straight. I relax that way and didn't know any better prior to coming here :(.

Anyway, it's a blessing in disguise because I don't have to use heat ever to get it straight. All I have to do is wash, let it air-dry, put some oil on it (peferably WGO), tie a satin scarf around it and let the back hang out so the front gets flat, then put a satin bonnet over it and go to bed. When I put the bonnet on, I sort of fold the back over to the side and when I wake up, no matter how badly I've selpt, it has a nice little bend in it- not super-straight- like I did it with a curling iron.

I could also wrap it when it's ar-dried, but I don't like all that combing.

SG
HMMM...this sounds like a good idea! I'm gonna have to try this after airdrying my hair! :)

pookeylou

So am I seeing this correctly:

If you are natural and want to wear your hair "bone straight"...it is NOT going to happen without heat.

If you are relaxed and want to wear your hair straight, you can air dry your hair by doing a roller set followed by a wrap.

Peachtree

pookeylou said:

If you are natural and want to wear your hair "bone straight"...it is NOT going to happen without heat.

If you are relaxed and want to wear your hair straight, you can air dry your hair by doing a roller set followed by a wrap.

Hey Pookeylou :wave:

When I was relaxed, I was able to achieve straight hair (without heat) with my version of the "Ponytail" method --> "The Bun Method". Also, I could get straight hair by rollersetting on SUPER LARGE large magnetic rollers (visual... make a circle by pressing ur right thumb & middle finger against ur left thumb & middle finger...this was the size of my roller). After I removed the rollers, I would apply oils & make a pony or bun. Within a day my hair would be straight! ... this method worked with heat (hooded dryer) and just as well without heat (air drying)....but it took forever & a day to dry.

Now, as far as getting straight hair while being natural... that's yet to be determined. I'm thinking.... 1) air dry on the LARGEST magnetics possible. 2) Make a ponytail... or bun if wanting a cute curl on the ends... I don't know if this will work... but I'm gonna try (one day) :cool:

Isis

pookeylou said:

That's what it looks like so far. Relaxed ladies don't have to do a wrap following a roller set for a straight look, it's an option.
One of these days, someone (maybe here on LHCF) will discover how to wear natural hair straight without heat.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I can get my natural hair fairly straight by doing this:
when it's still wet and freshly washed I put my hair in two low ponytails. I twirl each ponytail and fasten them on top/front of my head criss-crossing eachother. (I learned this technique here on LHCF I think, but I don't remember who wrote it.) I take my hair down when it's fully dry and my hair is silky and swinging, but not as straight as with a flat iron. If I also continue to wear my hair in a bun or something like that for a day or two, my hair is very straight.

I'm no good with rollers, I tried that once and I looked crazy with big fluffy "curls".

Boadicea

I just put it in a bun and the base comes out straight and the rest has a slight bodywave. If I want that part to be straight, I just comb it out.

pookeylou

Peachtree said:
Hey Pookeylou :wave:

When I was relaxed, I was able to achieve straight hair (without heat) with my version of the "Ponytail" method --> "The Bun Method". Also, I could get straight hair by rollersetting on SUPER LARGE large magnetic rollers (visual... make a circle by pressing ur right thumb & middle finger against ur left thumb & middle finger...this was the size of my roller). After I removed the rollers, I would apply oils & make a pony or bun. Within a day my hair would be straight! ... this method worked with heat (hooded dryer) and just as well without heat (air drying)....but it took forever & a day to dry.

Now, as far as getting straight hair while being natural... that's yet to be determined. I'm thinking.... 1) air dry on the LARGEST magnetics possible. 2) Make a ponytail... or bun if wanting a cute curl on the ends... I don't know if this will work... but I'm gonna try (one day) :cool:

I am thinking this method will work too. When my mom put my natural hair on rollers as a kid, the curls were smooth. To brush the curls into a wrap is easy. I would have to tie it down and sleep on it overnight in order to make sure it really stays flat.

Like I said, I need a few more inches before I can attempt this. Maybe by July I will be ready. :)