Naturals that rollerset and flat iron

pinkchocolatedaisy

I have a few questions for you. I can't roller set or flat iron to save my life lol. So I'm trying to see if my friend will do it for me or I may to go a salon and get it done. I have been skimming over the rollerset threads and I think I kinda got he basics but I still have questions (forgive me :ohwell::look:).

So:

What products do you use? Do you use a leave in and a serum? And when you do this do you use them and then roll the hair up? Or do you apply the leave in to all of your hair and then the serum to each section?

When you flat iron are you flat ironing the roots only? IF so what do you do about your ends that are curled from the rollers?

Also if you are flat ironing, what heat protectant are you using?

And lastly, as far as products are concerned, what are the best products that I can find locally or are the best products found online?

thanks in advance ladies!

jcanalena79

When I was getting this done, I went to an Ethiopian salon ... so I'm answering based on what I saw them do:

What products do you use? Do you use a leave in and a serum? And when you do this do you use them and then roll the hair up? Or do you apply the leave in to all of your hair and then the serum to each section?

Shampoo/Condition - whatever they had. No leave-in, but they did use Paul Mitchell serum. The serum was applied to my entire head and then roller set normally with magnetic rollers.

When you flat iron are you flat ironing the roots only? IF so what do you do about your ends that are curled from the rollers?

No, they flat ironed the entire length. I did request, at times, to give my ends a break, for them to just flat iron the roots. My ends dried relatively smooth/straight (just not "flat iron smooth" so I didn't need to do anything to them.

The same Paul Mitchell serum was used.

And lastly, as far as products are concerned, what are the best products that I can find locally or are the best products found online?

I've heard of Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in and Sabino Moisture Block but I've never used either. If I were to attempt to straighten my hair myself, I would use one/both of those based on recommendations.

melodies815

...bumping for more info....my hair likes being straighter but I have not yet found a good low-heat/indirect heat way to make that happen. If I could, I would exchange twists for curls.

Hopefully, someone will chime in here...

cj

naturalepiphany

What products do you use? Do you use a leave in and a serum? And when you do this do you use them and then roll the hair up? Or do you apply the leave in to all of your hair and then the serum to each section? This is what I've been using so far, its okay but I know with the right products it can be better: For rollersetting I use a leave-in (Afro Detangler from the crown and glory site) and a setting lotion (Lotta Body) and I apply it all over my hair and then I roll my hair. If my hair gets dry during the process I'll spray with water or an ayurvedic tea spritz (details in my fotki under trying something new).

When you flat iron are you flat ironing the roots only? IF so what do you do about your ends that are curled from the rollers? When I flat iron its only the roots, I try to keep the last 2-3 inches of my ends free of direct heat. Usually my ends are straight and curled enough wear I don't need to touch them. Sometimes I do a silk wrap to help smooth the ends out a little if they really need it or I want less of a curl to the ends.

Also if you are flat ironing, what heat protectant are you using? I use Beyond the Zone Turn Up the Heat Flat Iron Spray I use this as a spray over my rollerset before I go under the dryer and on my roots before I flat iron.

And lastly, as far as products are concerned, what are the best products that I can find locally or are the best products found online?The Beyond the Zone heat protectant is excellent, I've been using it for the past two years and have had 100% reversion with this product and it can be found at sally's beauty both online and in there store. Other products, not including the ayurvedic tea spritz, that I mentioned I personally wouldn't recommend. I'm really just trying to use them up before I buy something better.

Last edited:

Duchesse

So:

I use a creamy leave-in, don't have a staple but it has been Lacio Lacio or a shea butter based cream, apply to each section and roll. I tend to airdry rollerset. No serum.

I flat iron the roots first, then lightly go down length of hair. I never wear my rollerset loose, so it doesn't matter if the ends aren't curled anymore, it all gets pinned up. Rollersetting is a way for me to stretch my hair, not wear as a style.

Chi

Girl...I'm still trying to figure that one out.

thanks in advance ladies!

I'm not completely natural, but texlaxed transitioning and for the most part my hair looks and behaves like natural hair.