Let's help each other! What is your blowdry/flat iron technique?

caribgirl

Please help Ladies,

Upon researching previous threads, I still don't know what is the best technique to protect my hair from heat damage when I choose to blow dry and/or flat iron :wallbash:.
What is the safest and best technique? :seesaw:

Of course I want the silkiest hair with the best swang action when I choose to go this route :kiss3:.

For those who flatiron, do you:

1.Apply serum/heat protectant while hair is wet and then airdry/blowdry/iron?

2.Apply serum/heat protectant while hair is wet AND just before flat ironing?

3. Apply a carrier oil like Jojoba just before flat ironing?

4. Apply a carrier oil like Jojoba after flat ironing?

5. Please explain your technique and products that you use:

naturalmanenyc

I've only successfully flat ironed once, on Friday, but I will answer anyway.

I washed & conditioned my hair and applied Beyond & The End to towel dried hair.

I let my hair air dry (about 4 hours) and then u
se my Maxiglide on setting 1 using 1 pass with steam from the middle to the ends and a full pass from roots to ends. I did some of my roots (visible area on top of my head) using the miniglide to make sure they were smooth.

I added a nickel size amount of S-Curl to my dry hair and then I added coconut oil for shine. I was very pleased with the results. It reverted a bit (rain on Saturday & Sunday in NYC).

Next time I will rollerset (with FHI hot sauce on wet hair) and then just maxiglide the roots. Pics in my fotki.

Ericka

I apply garnier fructis anti-frizz serum to my towel dried hair, then proceed to blow dry. I then flat iron my hair without adding anymore serum to keep my hair from being weigh down from products. My hair comes out so soft and straight. Oh and lately I've been using my blow dryer on high heat and I haven't experience any damaged to my ends. This is because I've been co-washing for 2 out of the 4 days.

Kimberly

I apply coconut oil to wet hair and then airdry. Then I apply Chi Silk Infusion serum and flatiron with my Chi.

I do not blowdry if I know I'm going to flatiron.

If I blowdry, I apply coconut oil to wet hair then Chi Silk Infusion serum to damp hair. I do not blowdry soaking wet hair. I let airdry to at least 50% and up to 80% depending on what kind of timetable I'm on.

For me, I think the key to a good flatiron is minimal product usage. And the key to flowy blowdried hair is minimal product usage.

Good luck to you.

kgard7777

I use the tutorial above as well but my ends are somewhat dry afterwards unless I apply a little silk infuse and or jojoba oil to them as I am flat ironing. Does anyone do this?

caribgirl

I've only successfully flat ironed once, on Friday, but I will answer anyway.

I washed & conditioned my hair and applied Beyond & The End to towel dried hair.

I let my hair air dry (about 4 hours) and then u
se my Maxiglide on setting 1 using 1 pass with steam from the middle to the ends and a full pass from roots to ends. I did some of my roots (visible area on top of my head) using the miniglide to make sure they were smooth.

I added a nickel size amount of S-Curl to my dry hair and then I added coconut oil for shine. I was very pleased with the results. It reverted a bit (rain on Saturday & Sunday in NYC).

Next time I will rollerset (with FHI hot sauce on wet hair) and then just maxiglide the roots. Pics in my fotki.

So you don't add any heat protectant while flat ironing too- interesting. You really did get straighter results with the maxi than with the FHI. I wonder what the results would be if you used setting 2 :blush:.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
After I get out of the shower I wrap a towel around my head while I get dressed. After I'm dressed, I remove the towel and apply a little leave-in and serum/heat protectant. Then:

-Start with a two in section in the back of my head and pin all the other hair up. Detangle that little section with wide tooth comb

-Blowdry on medium (aiming down the hair, not at or up the hair, if that makes sense) until about 80% dry and then kinda do a Dominican-type blowout with a ceramic roundbrush (they don't snag and pull my hair nearly as much as boar bristle brushes do)

-When the hair is dry, I move on up and make another little two inch section

When my hair is fully dried, I'll flatiron (with my baby FHI) and go in one inch sections. I don't hurridly rush the iron down the length of my hair, I probably take about 3-4 seconds, leisurely passing the iron down my hair

When I'm done, I MIGHT add a little oil. But not usually. It makes my hair oily to the touch, and I don't like that when I wear my hair down

caribgirl

I apply garnier fructis anti-frizz serum to my towel dried hair, then proceed to blow dry. I then flat iron my hair without adding anymore serum to keep my hair from being weigh down from products. My hair comes out so soft and straight. Oh and lately I've been using my blow dryer on high heat and I haven't experience any damaged to my ends. This is because I've been co-washing for 2 out of the 4 days.

Thanks Ericka,
Wow, another without using serums while flat ironing. I'm glad that your hair is so moisturized with the cowashes- they do make a difference, don't they?

I apply coconut oil to wet hair and then airdry. Then I apply Chi Silk Infusion serum and flatiron with my Chi.

I do not blowdry if I know I'm going to flatiron.

If I blowdry, I apply coconut oil to wet hair then Chi Silk Infusion serum to damp hair. I do not blowdry soaking wet hair. I let airdry to at least 50% and up to 80% depending on what kind of timetable I'm on.

For me, I think the key to a good flatiron is minimal product usage. And the key to flowy blowdried hair is minimal product usage.

Good luck to you.

Thanks Kimberly,
I agree that minimal product usage is the key. I can be heavy handed with the chi when I use it while flat ironing.

caribgirl

I use the tutorial above as well but my ends are somewhat dry afterwards unless I apply a little silk infuse and or jojoba oil to them as I am flat ironing. Does anyone do this?

Awesome question, Kgard!!

I would also love to know how safe is it to use oils while flat ironing. Hopefully someone can chime in and set the record straight :yep:.

Awesome question, Kgard!!

I would also love to know how safe is it to use oils while flat ironing. Hopefully someone can chime in and set the record straight :yep:.

I also would like to know because I sometimes like to bump my ends or go over my hair a week or two after my initial press.

I would like to start keeping my ends moisturized while my hair is straight with a little olive oil on the last 1-2 inches. But I am afraid to bump my hair after I do this because I don't want to burn the ends of my hair...

caribgirl

After I get out of the shower I wrap a towel around my head while I get dressed. After I'm dressed, I remove the towel and apply a little leave-in and serum/heat protectant. Then:

-Start with a two in section in the back of my head and pin all the other hair up. Detangle that little section with wide tooth comb

-Blowdry on medium (aiming down the hair, not at or up the hair, if that makes sense) until about 80% dry and then kinda do a Dominican-type blowout with a ceramic roundbrush (they don't snag and pull my hair nearly as much as boar bristle brushes do)

-When the hair is dry, I move on up and make another little two inch section

When my hair is fully dried, I'll flatiron (with my baby FHI) and go in one inch sections. I don't hurridly rush the iron down the length of my hair, I probably take about 3-4 seconds, leisurely passing the iron down my hair

When I'm done, I MIGHT add a little oil. But not usually. It makes my hair oily to the touch, and I don't like that when I wear my hair down

Tif, your hair looks so healthy in your siggy :yep:!

gymfreak336

My technique is simple.

When I need to flat iron, particularly my roots, I rollerset my hair. I spray my entire wet heat with a liquid heat protectant. I like Paul Mitchell seal and shine spray or nexxus heat protectx spray. They both help protect the hair and give me more shine.

Afterwards, I rub chi silk infusion or fantasia IC heat serum through each section of my hair as I go. I separate it into 4 sections and just flat iron each section. I take a small section of hair, pull it taut and place the flat iron right at my roots. I apply pressure and make one smooth controlled pull. I repeat through each section. I do my bangs last because I usually need to manipulate the flat iron more to give them a little flip and curl for style.

When I am flat ironing air dried hair (or any other time when I haven't rollerset it), I rub heat protectant cream like Joico kpak styling cream throughout. I then proceed to take small sections and flat iron, much like the tutorial in the fotki link posted. When ever I do this, I still spray my wet hair with heat protectant.

I don't add any oil before flat ironing because that can "cook" my hair. I might spray a little oil sheen all over the final result when I am done.

I also make sure my hair is clean and conditioned before hand. I don't ever ever heat style dirty hair, whether from sweat or buildup.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Gymmie! You look so pretty in your siggy! :grin:

When you rollerset first, does your hair come out more shiny, bouncy and soft as opposed to blowdrying or airdrying first?

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Gymmie! You look so pretty in your siggy! :grin:

When you rollerset first, does your hair come out more shiny, bouncy and shinier as opposed to blowdrying first?

Thanks Tiffers! I took that pic today after trying out that new redken stuff.

I rollerset mostly for more accuracy with the flat iron. When I rollerset, I can more clearly see and feel the parts that need the most attention with the flat iron. Comparing the two though, I do get more bouncy when I rollerset first.

My blowdrying skills are still being finetuned. I usually blowdry in sections and I make sure to control the direction of the air flow. I get a nice silky blow dry when I do that and use a round brush. I am still not as good at it as I would like to be though.

shtow

(copied from my fotki)

-shampoo with Ors creamy aloe
-Ors Replenishing Pack for Moisture DC 15 mins
-I detangle with just for me detangling spray leave in conditioner and and add a good amount of the ORS olive oil serum and dry under the pibbs til 80 percent dry and then blow dry with the comb attatchment on medium height
-I next flat iron with no additional product on 400-410 heat with my Sedu. I do the chase method but I dont use the comb and flat iron at the same time. I comb first with the rat tail and then flat iron
-Moisturize with african shea butter and seal with jojoba oil AS NEEDED ONLY (usually every other day, sometimes once a day). I dont usually moisturize until the next night after I flat iron b/c there is no reason to that same day. I use minimal product when moisturizing.
-sleep either on satin bonnets or with a silk scarf
-comb using shower comb
-cross wrap of pincurl

I get that swang every time!!!!!!