Naturals that self trim...

CaliiSwagg

So I have been natural for about 6 months now and I have been eager to get a trim or have it trimmed.

I am such a DIY'er that I would much rather trim my hair myself.

Do any of you ladies trim your natural hair yourself, and if so what is your technique?

Wellll...I either straighten my hair and trim the way naptural85 does/did (or whatever her SN is lol) or I will do it on wet/curly hair filled with condish (still the same way). But I'm thinking of stretching over night in braids before I trim next time. My hair reeally doesn't like a lot of heat and I end up taking off way more than necessary when I trim on curly hair.

naptural85 trim vid

In the past I have put small twists in my hair and then trimmed the tips. This time I washed my hair and put it in plaits to dry. Then I will take each plait down comb through it gently and trim the last 1/4 inch of hair. First time trying it this way, I will post back in here and tell you how it goes.

Wellll...I either straighten my hair and trim the way naptural85 does/did (or whatever her SN is lol) or I will do it on wet/curly hair filled with condish (still the same way). But I'm thinking of stretching over night in braids before I trim next time. My hair reeally doesn't like a lot of heat and I end up taking off way more than necessary when I trim on curly hair.

naptural85 trim vid

Yeah, this is how I'm going to try trimming my hair this time around. I have the same scissors too.

I usually divide my hair in sections and check for split ends then I cut off the splits. Otherwise I don't cut my hair. If you don't mind my asking CaliiSwagg, why do you want to trim?

If I'm dusting, I put my hair in twists and snip off the ends. For a trim, I straighten and take a small section at a time and just cut off the see through ends. It doesn't come out completely even, but it's not uneven either, if that makes sense. If you want an even self-trim you can use the ponytail method (Feye's method) or get a split ender.

ETA: I was actually thinking of the crea clip, not the split ender, but I've heard good things about both.

Last edited:
FoxxyLocs said:
If I'm dusting, I put my hair in twists and snip off the ends. For a trim, I straighten and take a small section at a time and just cut off the see through ends. It doesn't come out completely even, but it's not uneven either, if that makes sense. If you want an even self-trim you can use the ponytail method (Feye's method) or get a split ender.

I do what you do. :yep:

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

I bought a split-ender, that is what I have used the last two times I've trimmed. Takes off 1/4". When I want a big trim, I'll probably go to Supercuts, lol. I hear they're safe.

I bought a split-ender, that is what I have used the last two times I've trimmed. Takes off 1/4". When I want a big trim, I'll probably go to Supercuts, lol. I hear they're safe.

Ditto this. I've used the split ender twice, and it's great. I braid the night before, and trim the next day. Rebraid the trimmed hair, and snip the uneven bits. The split ender is a Godsend....worth every penny!

I need more people saying Supercuts is safe, before I take the plunge. So far DIY is working out great though.

I think for my first trim I'm going to straighten and then trim so I have more control of how much I'm taking off.

Thank you ladies!!

I will trim this weekend. Going to apply curlformers in small sections. As I take out each curlformer I will trim the ends 1/4" to 1" depending on what is needed. My hair is pretty uneven in sections. But hopefully I can start the 2nd half of the year with healthier ends.

Co-sign on the small twists and clip the ends. But I do like to get a professional trim once a year for shape.

I usually divide my hair in sections and check for split ends then I cut off the splits. Otherwise I don't cut my hair. If you don't mind my asking CaliiSwagg, why do you want to trim?

kinkycurlygurl

Mainly because I haven't trimmed or anything since my BC in November and my ends are acting a little weird. I figure a little trim wouldn't hurt so I can really examine the state of my hair thus far.:yep:

I dust monthly and I've done it on straight hair, blown out hair, and I've tried it on curly hair because I wanted to slow down on heat and it wasn't a problem. I take off around 1/8 in. every month which adds up to 1.5 in. a year. It has helped me retain more hair as opposed to taking off around 3in every 3 or four months like I was in the past.

@kinkycurlygurl

Mainly because I haven't trimmed or anything since my BC in November and my ends are acting a little weird. I figure a little trim wouldn't hurt so I can really examine the state of my hair thus far.:yep:

CaliiSwagg

Before trimming all of your ends consider just looking closely at your hair and snipping off any split ends or single strand knots. For me, just doing that keeps my hair in line. :whip: :lol:

I just did my 1st full 1/4" trim. And will do so every month since my hair loves ssk.

I parted it into 4 sections and tied up 3. First I did each half the back. Took the one section and made smaller than 1/2" parts, pulled tight from the roots and trimmed. Then so on. Was pretty easy. Took maybe 20 mins (but my hair is still short)

I watched for even-ness but wasnt overly concerned since wearing it in a 'fro or twist-out its so much shrinkage, its impossible for anyone to see a slight uneven bit.

Back