Trims for naturals???

tastesosweet

When I had a perm, I had my hair trimmed religiously every 8 weeks. Since I've gone natural, my hair gets trimmed randomly. Almost every time I've visited the salon this year, my stylist has said that my ends look fine. Furthermore, my best friend, who has always been natural, told me she trims her hair about twice a year and she has a thick, healthy head of hair. Naturals, how often do you trim? Better yet, how often should we trim??

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I use to do an actual trim once a year but I S&D (search and destroy) monthly if necessary <----this was prior to me using the baggie method....S&D hasn't even been necesary lately. No broken hairs at all I am retaining EVERY inch I'm growing right now since joining LHCF. :D

natstar

I think it's a case by case basis. One might trim every 3-4 mnths because they do a lot a styling, heat etc to their hair on a daily basis without regards to keeping the ends in check. Others may not do a lot to their hair and focus on keeping their ends moisturized and protected their trims may be like every 6 mnths. I have gone 6 months without trimming, and when I decided to trim, it flat ironed it and trimmed about 1'' off.I am going to start trimming every 4 months-really slight trims, as I see fit . If I see I need a trim-I will, if i don't-I won't. But I really do think it depends on the person.

natstar

EMJazzy said:
I use to do an actual trim once a year but I S&D (search and destroy) monthly if necessary <----this was prior to me using the baggie method....S&D hasn't even been necesary lately. No broken hairs at all I am retaining EVERY inch I'm growing right now since joining LHCF. :D

Like EMJazzy- I have started to incorporate the baggie method, and so the next time I flat iron and check my ends, I may not need to trim at all or very, very slightly. That method WORKS!

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
I'm a terrible person in general but I've went years without trims.

I've had 2 this year and I won't have another until next year. No matter what, people want to cut my hair instead of trim it. Since I don't usually straighten/style it you can't see the unevenness anyhow.

curlilocs

I can't stand for my hair not to have any shape, and I've always been one for preventative maintenance. With that said, I get my hair trimmed every 12 weeks.

SignatureBeauty

I guess it depends on the person and just like the Op said about the styling & heat that they use, But for me it would be every 6 months, I don't do nothing to my hair but wash and apply a leave in and go.

nikkivale

That sounds about right, when i was natural i only trimmed maybe 2 or three times a year, but this is with rare uses of heat.

IrisDaVirus

I think it depends on the individual when it comes to how often your natural hair should be trimmed. Personally I give my hair a trim about once or twice a year as needed.

Peachtree

I would like to trim every 3 mths, but that would require me to press it out every 3 mths... which is *NOT* going to happen.

So, I've opted to trim whenever I press... which is like 2x a yr.