Naturals-What flat iron do you use and how long does it take you?

Ms Lala

I'm a type 4 something natural. I like wearing my hair straight every now and then but it takes about 2 hours for me to flat iron my hair and that's after an hour of blowdrying. I have a babyliss pro ceramic. It gets my hair straight but that seems like it's taking me too long. 1) What flat iron are you using? 2) How long does it take?

I use a Sedu or a Solia. It takes me about an hour to flat iron my hair. I flat iron after I air dry.

Last edited:
I have a maxiglide and I've only used it once and that was the first time I flat ironed my own hair. It took me about 1 hour. I airdried my hair overnight and the end results were better than I was hoping for. I wasn't going for the 'bone straight look'.

If you have a good quality flat iron you won't need to worry about drying your hair as straight as possible nor would you have to run the iron on your hair over and over and over again.

This picture is of my hair with major shrinkage after I airdry it.

This picture is after I pull one side of that same section and comb through

This picture is after the maxiglide on the section just above

That was before the hair cut:(.

I'm a beginner. This was the first time I flat-ironed my hair since I'm natural ( avatar pic ), as you can see it didn't go very well. I'm still learning.

Ms Lala said:
I'm a type 4 something natural. I like wearing my hair straight every now and then but it takes about 2 hours for me to flat iron my hair and that's after an hour of blowdrying. I have a babyliss pro ceramic. It gets my hair straight but that seems like it's taking me too long. 1) What flat iron are you using? 2) How long does it take?

1) What flat iron are you using? MAXIGLIDE
2) How long does it take? 3 HRS (excluding time for washing my hair). After washing, and towel dry, I blowdry, press with a pressing comb, then use the MAXIGLIDE after that.

I use a nameless regular 'ole ceramic flatiron that I purchased from the bss. It takes me about 2 hours to flatiron my airdried hair. I don't blowdry.

I use a CHI and it takes me about an hour and a half after I've rollerset and dryed my hair under the dryer to flat iron. The whole process (including drying time) from wash to finished takes about 4 hours.

rabs77 said:
1) What flat iron are you using? MAXIGLIDE
2) How long does it take? 3 HRS (excluding time for washing my hair). After washing, and towel dry, I blowdry, press with a pressing comb, then use the MAXIGLIDE after that.

Rabs-what pressing comb you use?

Thanks

I use the Solia flat iron, and it takes me about 1 1/2-2 hours to straighten my hair, plus I press it too using a Golden Supreme hot comb.

I loved the Solia, but it burned my scalp too much, so then I switched to the Hai. I also like the T3 and GHD irons, but they are really expensive.

Go to folica.com, they have good reviews on just about every flat iron imaginable.

Oh, my hair stylist uses the CHI

Last edited:
I use a 1" ceramic Jilbere flat iron and it usually takes me anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how I'm feeling.

If I'm in a rush, I can definitely do it quickly, but I get better results when I take my time.

*Bre~Bre* said:
I used a maxiglide and it takes about an hour and a half. My hair is very coarse.

I have coarse hair also. I wonder if that's why it takes me so long.

HOw are you all blowdrying you hair in 20-30 minutes. I takes me about an hour. I think I'm going to try rollersetting next time and then flat ironing. Maybe I"ll invest in a new iron.

wonderstar88 said:
I have a maxiglide and I've only used it once and that was the first time I flat ironed my own hair. It took me about 1 hour. I airdried my hair overnight and the end results were better than I was hoping for. I wasn't going for the 'bone straight look'.

If you have a good quality flat iron you won't need to worry about drying your hair as straight as possible nor would you have to run the iron on your hair over and over and over again.

You hair looks so cute in your siggy! HOw much hair did you cut?

I just flat ironed my hair for the second time and finally I made it. I used a blow dryer first so in total it took about 3 hours ( the dryer wasn't working that well ) and I used babyliss. I'm glad I finally succeeded at this. you can see the pics in my signature.

Back