Naturals: Any luck with blowdryer + flat iron

caligirl

I would like to get my hair straight just using my blowdryer and FHI ceramic iron. I want to skip the pressing comb mainly because I'm scared I might burn myself. Have any naturals been able to achieve straight hair using only a blowdryer and flat iron? Do I need to run a fine tooth comb down the hair with the flat iron?

alibi

hair bored
I've had great success with a blowdryer and a flat iron, but the trick for me has been to use a good leave in, and blow dry my hair when it's still very wet and pliable. If you try to blow dry natural hair and it's reverted too much, you get knots and breakage. I recently blew my hair out so I could trim it, and it came out pretty smooth. I don't straighten very often due the humidity in Miami though.

I shampoo'd with a non sulfate shampoo, conditioned with Pantene S&S, then used Mizani thermal protector, though I forget the name. I sprayed the Mizani on each section before I blow dryed, and used my Denman brush to make sure I blew it nice and straight. After that, I flat ironed with my ceramic iron, added a little Kemi Oyl, and wrapped my hair. I think the wrap is the most important part of the flat iron process, b/c it sets the hair and makes it very silky.

Anyways, HTH. I snapped a pic of it, it's a little dark and I couldn't post the pic, but here's the link:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c9633fzc1ff9422/fa33/__sr_/95fbre2.jpg?phA2SzDB7Wd97Occ

Last edited:

caligirl

ayanapooh said:
I've had great success with a blowdryer and a flat iron, but the trick for me has been to use a good leave in, and blow dry my hair when it's still very wet and pliable. If you try to blow dry natural hair and it's reverted too much, you get knots and breakage. I recently blew my hair out so I could trim it, and it came out pretty smooth. I don't straighten very often due the humidity in Miami though.

I shampoo'd with a non sulfate shampoo, conditioned with Pantene S&S, then used Mizani thermal protector, though I forget the name. I sprayed the Mizani on each section before I blow dryed, and used my Denman brush to make sure I blew it nice and straight. After that, I flat ironed with my ceramic iron, added a little Kemi Oyl, and wrapped my hair. I think the wrap is the most important part of the flat iron process, b/c it sets the hair and makes it very silky.

Anyways, HTH. I snapped a pic of it, couldn't post the pic, but here's the link:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c9633fzc1ff9422/fa33/__sr_/95fbre2.jpg?phA2SzDB7Wd97Occ

Thanks for the tips! It looks very professional! I'm not big on products though because I like it to come out very light so it can blow in the wind, lol! I'm definitely going to give the denman a try and wrap it afterwards.

so1913

caligirl said:
I would like to get my hair straight just using my blowdryer and FHI ceramic iron. I want to skip the pressing comb mainly because I'm scared I might burn myself. Have any naturals been able to achieve straight hair using only a blowdryer and flat iron? Do I need to run a fine tooth comb down the hair with the flat iron?

I've had good results in the past, haven't done it in a while. I have pics in my album from last Feb when I flat ironed using Ion Flat Iron Protectant Spray and I've also had good results with BBD Flat Iron Lotion. You do not need to use a fine toot comb with the flat iron, must make sure you section your hair in small think sections and take your time.

I also agree with Ayanna's tips, especially wrapping the hair right after to "set" the hair. That is a must for me.

atl_mulattamami

That's the only way that works for me! I shampoo, condition, apply a leavein and serum, blow dry, apply serum to sections and flat iron the section...makes it so smooth and silky check my album for pics

caligirl

atl_mulattamami said:
That's the only way that works for me! I shampoo, condition, apply a leavein and serum, blow dry, apply serum to sections and flat iron the section...makes it so smooth and silky check my album for pics

Oooh! Your natural hair is so shiny and pretty. Thanks for sharing!

CarefreeinChicago

i wash and dc then apply thermasilk leave in cream sit under dryer for 20 min and then maxiglide with no product (i apply the leave in to my hair damp) and i can go a 7 to 10 days with no additional heat

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Perhaps my hair rebelled against being straitened because I never used a blowdryer and flat iron. I will try it in the future.

chocolate01

I don't do pressing combs at all, I only use a blowdryer and flat iron. I think everyone pretty much gave good advice.

brownsugar9999

Blow dry w/ blowdryer w/ comb attachment (yeah..I know) then part in small segments and Flatiron w/ FHI on highest setting. Use Beyond the Zone thermal protectant

Qurlyqt

I never learned how to use the pressing comb. I use Thermasilk shampoo and conditioner before blowdrying then some pressing creme that I bought from the salon by D'Zire. I also flat iron in small sections. I think it turns out as well as it did when I was going to get it straightened professionally.