Naturals what is your hair length when stretched?

Do u think it's necessary to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NapturalGlory

naturals (totally relaxer/texturizer free with no relaxed ends) what is your hair length when stretched? If you press you are still natural for this poll. By stretched I mean when you pull the back section with your fingers.

i considered doing a poll with a comparison of relaxed and natural length but that may not be fair since naturals have to CUT OFF their length to go natural whereas relaxed women are the default and so they usually have been growing their hair for longer. it wouldn't be quite fair to compare when a lot of naturals have only been so for around 2 or 3 years versus women who have been relaxed for 10 to 20.
We can do this every 6 months since many of us are trying to grow our hair out. Remember, on average our hair is gonna be on the shorter side because many of us haven't been growing it out for more than a couple years and it's a learning process.

eta: oh and ruler measurements can be confusing and hard with shrinky/stretchy hair so i prefer the body reference technique. simpler and you get a better visual of what the person is talking about

Nacai23

My hair stretches to my shoulderblades from the nape and scrapes my shoulders from the crown. The measurements are 9-10 inches all over.
I will have been natural for 2 years in Sept.

NapturalGlory

[ QUOTE ]
Chakira said:
I never really cut mine, I just grew out my relaxer, and trimmed it every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh ok.. well that's why.

Chakira

Nacai23- wow! I've been growing my hair out for almost 3 years and mine is maybe 6 inches. I guess my hair is breaking more than I though!!

NapturalGlory

oh yeah i forgot myself... i went natural december 2000 and locked from july 2001 to august 2002. i shaved my locs off to almost bald in august 2002 and have just started with protective styling as of december 2003. my hair stretches a couple inches past shoulder in back and to the end of my nose in front. i cut my front while shrunken a lot in 2003 and this year i did 2 trims. i have decided i am not as talented with cutting as i thought so i won't trim anymore
i hope to see about 2 inches of growth every 4 months so i'm checking my stats again in november this year then in march 05. in march i could possibly be barely brastrap stretched.

Divastate

My hair is between shoulder and armpit- maybe 2inches past my shoulder or so in the back and just touching my shoulders on the sides.

Sunday is my 3 year nappiversary- I chopped to maybe 2 or 3 inches at that time. I'm actually at about the same length I was last year this time thanks to delayed postpartum shedding and breakage.

Nacai23

[ QUOTE ]
Chakira said:
Nacai23- wow! I've been growing my hair out for almost 3 years and mine is maybe 6 inches. I guess my hair is breaking more than I though!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because I thought my hair was growing really slow. Last year my hair was growing like a weed, almost an inch a month. This year, however, is a different story. It's growing .5 inches or less each month and it's breaking off.
Come to think of it, last year I was religously taking vitamins, massaging my scalp, oiling the ends with a shea butter pomade, and keeping my hands out of my hair. I haven't done any of these things so far this year
. I need to get back on track...

mermaid

I didn't cut my hair either, just let it grow out, and braided a lot of the time. My last relaxer was in 96 and I have cut it myself when the ends were looking bad, so I didn't let my hair grow much past my shoulders. Now I'm on a mission to see how far it can grow, but I still do my own trims, but not as often.

lsubabiedee

well, the back is creeping towards my shoulders....the sides come about an inch below my ear...and the front reaches my eye.....

these estimates could be wrong b/c im stretching my hair while in braids

DahomeyAmazon

I selected armpit to brastrap. My hair is about 14 to 15 inches streched from scalp to ends (not taut). The front is armpit length and I just noticed a few days ago the back is now brastrap. I am now into my fourth year of being natural, but this is the first year I haven't been keeping it trimmed down to 6-8 inches. Last summer around this time I had trimmed my hair to 8 inches, so I have done pretty well maintaining growth.

miss_brown

I'm between armpit and brastrap too. The last time I checked (almost a month ago), the front stretched 3in past my collarbone, and the back stretched to a little under 2in above the brastrap. I was hoping to be at brastrap by the end of the summer, but I don't see that happening.
I've been diligent with my protective styles for the last few weeks, though, so I'm hoping to have a suprise when I blow my hair out this weekend.

i12sitonmyhair

Chero-Khoi American
I chose armpit to brastrap. I cut off my hair in Nov 1999 and my current pictures are linked in my signature. I just want to see how long it will grow.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
My hair is uneven because of breakage after my last touch-up. But the part that wasn't damaged grazes my shoulders when stretched. The shorter section on the top is probably ear length.

good2uuuu

I chose shoulder to armpit. It was 12.5 to 13 inches, but I trimmed it last week about .5 inches. Straightened out it's now just a little above the middle of my shoulder blades.

I forgot to mention that I have been happily nappy for 9 years.

MrsQueeny

Mine is about 10 inches. In May I had a serious trim to remove some dead ends that took off about 2-3 inches. I will be 3 years natural in November. Q

Last edited:

pringe

the back falls to the end of my neck. The front to my nose and the top of my cheeks and the sides are past my ears.

I picked bald to shoulder length by the way. But I transitioned and then did a Big Chop

bellydancer

mine seems like it's getting shorter
it used to be an inch from my bra strap and now its like two inches away. I know that I trimmed it, but it wasn't that much.

Mahalialee4

Before:Started 4" shortest length top back of hair, bangs between the eyes and see through -7" longest length (crown)area and to middle of neck at the back (measuring) 1999. Damaged and in about 5 different layers with a lot of very thinned out areas.

Next Goal: All areas stretching to the elbow in bangs, sides and crown and past the waist at the back. Hopefully in the next 3 years. Bonjour.
After:
Currently, bangs past the shoulders, sides halfway bewtween elbows and shoulders, and back past the top of the brastrap. Lots of elasticity and shrinkage...totally natural and fine textured so that when it is wet, it really straightens out and then shrinks right before your unbelieving eyes!
Oh, now I have no more layers!!!Now it is very full and thick with the scattered thin areas gone lol

NGC

I chose armpit to brastrap. I am past my armpit but I don't think I've hit brastrap yet. I really haven't taken my hair down for a wash & go or a twistout in awhile to see.